Natural Birth

Cost of Hiring a Doula

I'm curious what the average cost is to hire a doula?  I know the answers will vary but can any of you give me an ideas?
BabyFruit Ticker

06.10.12 +HPT 06.12.12 Beta #1 = 2,770 06.14.12 Beta #2 = 6,300
1st U/S 06.18.12 2nd U/S 06.25.12
09.24.12 It's a Boy!! ---> Jacob Owen

Our IF Journey Began: October 2009
**8 Failed IUI's, 1 Blighted Ovum, & 1 Failed IVF**
Dx: MFI, DOR w/MTHFR Homozygous A1298C & Hypothyroidism
03.2012 Lab Results: FSH 6.83 AMH 0.67 TSH 3.8 E2 17
SA 156 million 93% motility 3% morphology

Follow Me on Pinterest
**~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~**

Re: Cost of Hiring a Doula

• Ours is $550 in SC. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're paying $200 for a doula-in-training.  She will probably be certified by the time our baby comes, but when we hired her she had just submitted her paperwork and said it takes 3 months to go through.

Highest I saw in my area (southeastern VA) was $500 for someone with MANY years experience and was a massage therapist. 

• Loading the player...
  • Sacramento, CA area - $800

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • About an hour outside of LA and it ranges between $500 and $1,000.
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• About $300 - $800 in our area.

Two boys already - ages 5 and 3...

...baby #3 is here...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DS1 - $700, 5+ years experience, Ann Arbor, MI

DS2 - $1000, 10+ years experience (and she had finished MW school), Chicago

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Wow, everything is cheaper in the rest of the country it seems. My doula is on the inexpensive side inmy area at 1,000. They can be as much as 2,000 or so in Seattle. I would wonder what you are getting for some of the lesser prices. Standard doula service around here includes 2 prenatal visits, labor attendance as long as it takes, and 2 postpartum visits. I actually thing I would feel bad about paying less than 1,000 for all of that.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Mine is $800, but she is a Hypnobabies instructor as well.  I live near Philly.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagesarahintx05:
    Ours is $550 in SC. 

Wow, really? I'm in Greenville too and was hoping it was more like $350-400. Guess it depends on their experience too.

imageimage
  • Ours is $500 here in Missouri, which we felt was reasonable.
    imageimage

• Ours is in training so we are literally just paying for her gas. I actually feel guilty considering I KNOW what it's like in my own profession to be poor and in training (and my clients actually pay me even while I am still in training!) so I may insist to hubby that we write her at least a small check or give her a nice gift on top of the gas money when it's all said and done.

ETA: Ours will do 3 prenatal visits, labor in the hospital for as long as it takes plus a couple hours after delivery (she is not allowed to come to our home w/out certification), and 1 post-partum visit.

• We paid $950 for ours with DS, a friend charges $1,200. We are outside of DC. Ones with less than 3 yrs experience were closer to $600.
  • We're paying 450 in central IL. She is fully certified but on the newer side so she charges less than some of the more experienced gals (around 600 for them).

EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1 photo EDITEDEVERLYBEAUTYSHOT565923_751707052852_1602485043_n_zps74c305a1-1_zps6c64b4ff.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 800 is the average I live in IL on the IA border. This covers full prenatal, labor and delivery, and postnatal care. The price varies if you want less care.

Edit: my doula is also a direct entry mid-wife so she comes with that training as well.

Anniversary

(Jar of Bees- Le Blog)

Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am told that the going rate for a fully trained/certified doula in Chicago can be as high as $1500-2000. We are going through an awesome volunteer doula organization, in which families pay what they can afford for one of the doulas, who volunteer some of their services for people who would otherwise not be able to afford one. We're paying $100, which honestly we really can't even do that at this point since the universe has fully turned against us it seems, but I wasn't about to accept the services free of charge (which you can do, but I just wouldn't feel right).

I guess a downside of the service is that you don't get to interview and pick a doula, but I wouldn't even dream of complaining about that; I'm lucky just to have one. The coordinator assigns a main and a backup for you based on your due date, where you're delivering, and the doula's schedule. We'll meet with her once, twice if we choose, before I go into labor, and then she will come over once I'm in labor and stay through the birth and a couple hours after. I believe she'll make a follow up visit once I have been home for a couple days, too. It's probably a little less interaction than with a traditional setup, but again, I am just glad to have access to the services in the first place!

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • When we looked into them, the average cost was $2000 plus extra for travel expenses, etc. We live in the metro NYC area.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're in RI and ours was $550 and included two prenatal visits, access to her lending library, on-call support for two weeks prior and after my due date, and one postpartum visit and lactation support (our doula is a certified lactation consultant).

She was also our Bradley instructor so we got a little extra time to get familiar and comfortable with her which was important for me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CelynCelyn member

$0-$2000 in the San Francisco Bay Area, with the high end usually being someone with monitrice skills, $1200-1600 being the average for an experienced doula, and $500-800 for a newer doula, and $0-500 being a novice.  

• We payed $350 for ours.  She normally charges $650, but since we couldn't afford that, she charged us less.  After our wonderful experience with her, we would have payed the $650.
  • In the Nashville area, prices range from $450-$750.  Doulas just starting out charge less and it's fairly variable. 
  • We are in NC, the average seemed to be about $500 last year when we researched it.  It also seemed some were willing to work with you if really could not afford their going rate.
    imageimage
  • $600 for ours. I looked into a few and they were all $600-800.

I am only my doula's 5th client, but she was a L&D RN for 10yrs and is certified in hypnobirthing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Atlanta-

$350 for a newer one (practicing 1 year)

$500 for most

highest price was $750 for very experienced doula

Our Bradley teacher brought several to class to "interview" and had info on others so I think these prices are reflective of the area.

All include a pre-interview, and a post-partum visit.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"