3rd Trimester

Laying on your back

I know laying on your back isn't good while pregnant for several diffrent reasons, however I cannot seem to get comfortable to sleep.  I've been putting a pillow underneath one of my sides so I'm sort of propped up but also not sleeping on my side completely, do you think this is safe? 

Re: Laying on your back

• Kasi80Kasi80 member
    My doctor never warned me against sleeping in certain positions. 
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I do it until it gets uncomfortable.

If there's a problem, your body will move itself.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKasi80:
    My doctor never warned me against sleeping in certain positions. 

You're not suppose to lay on your back for very long while pregnant because it can restrict blood flow and oxygen to the baby!

• imagek.martell:

I do it until it gets uncomfortable.

If there's a problem, your body will move itself.

That's what my MW told me.  

I make cute babies.

IMG_0872

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I am not comfortable on my back.  I am normally a stomach sleeper so this may be why.
    lolololo
  • When you're sleeping on your back, the weight of your uterus lies on the spine, back muscles, intestines, and major blood vessels. This can lead to muscle aches and pains,hemorrhoids, and impaired circulation, which is uncomfortable for you and can reduce circulation to your baby. - from baby center

I don't sleep flat on my back. My doctor said it's bad for the baby. It's not comfortable, and I turn every half hour to hour. It sucks but if it's better for the baby... you have to make the choice.  

• imagepurplepolkadot445:

When you're sleeping on your back, the weight of your uterus lies on the spine, back muscles, intestines, and major blood vessels. This can lead to muscle aches and pains,hemorrhoids, and impaired circulation, which is uncomfortable for you and can reduce circulation to your baby. - from baby center

I don't sleep on my back. My doctor said it's bad for the baby. It's not comfortable, and I turn every half hour to hour. It sucks but if it's better for the baby... you have to make the choice.  

I'm not laying flat on my back though I'm propped up with a pillow on on side (behind one of my shoulders and hips-long ways).  Do you think that still matters?

• imageNicolejb781:
    imagepurplepolkadot445:

When you're sleeping on your back, the weight of your uterus lies on the spine, back muscles, intestines, and major blood vessels. This can lead to muscle aches and pains,hemorrhoids, and impaired circulation, which is uncomfortable for you and can reduce circulation to your baby. - from baby center

I don't sleep on my back. My doctor said it's bad for the baby. It's not comfortable, and I turn every half hour to hour. It sucks but if it's better for the baby... you have to make the choice.  

I'm not laying flat on my back though I'm propped up with a pillow on on side (behind one of my shoulders and hips-long ways).  Do you think that still matters?

I'm sure that's totally fine. Sorry - I left out "flat on my back" :) It's miserable. I hear ya! :) I just can't seem to stay on the pillows when I try to prop myself up.  

• Your body will let you know if you need to move.
                                     http://www.pinterest.com/kate2904/
  • My MW is not concerned about me sleeping on my back. She said that if  the weight of the baby doing something wrong to my body my body will clue me in--even to the point of waking me up or making me move in my sleep. Our bodies are very smart and wired for self-preservation!
  • My doctor said it was fine. He said your body will wake you up if there is an issue. I am still sleeping on my back and my princess is perfectly healthy! 

Shes getting heavy so I have been sleeping with 2 or more pillows so I am a little more propped up. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Gah I cant breath on my back. Im sure if something was terribly wrong you could feel it!

image image PitaPata Cat tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My doctor never warned me about the dangers of any sleeping position. However, toward the end of my 2nd trimester, when I did roll onto my back, it was quite painful (felt like I pulled a muscle in my lower abdomen). I never really had difficulty breathing though. I'm pretty sure that your body will tell you to move if it's becoming a problem!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Im a massage therapist, and when learning pre-natal massage, we were taught to put a pillow under the clients left hip when they are laying on their back. it takes the pressure of the inferior vena cava (which is a main artery to your heart). so yup, as long as your propping under your left hip, youre good. IMO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do the same thing.. I have a pillow propped under my hip so that I am tilted and put another one under my stomach on the other side that I am leaning on. Sometimes laying on my side(s) just puts more pressure on my ribs and hips and makes me really achey. I'd say its fine and your body will move itself, you're probably rolling over onto your side at some point anyway in the night. 
  • True, like it's been said your body will probably know what to do while sleeping/getting sleepy. I change positions throughout all night all the time
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Halloween tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Lying on your back with a large uterus compressed your inferior vena cava which is the large vein that returns blood to your heart. If you lie flat on your back you can get very dizziness, nauseous, and even pass out. I discovered a couple weeks ago that now if I lie on my back for more than 1min at a time I start to feel like I'm about to pass out.

If you don't feel bad on your back it won't hurt the baby. It sounds like what you are doing is what we call wedging, which is where you stay on your back and slightly tilt to take the pressure of your uterus off your vein. This works best if you tilt toward your left side.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • zyaszyas member
    I still sleep on my back all the time. My Dr said if there's a problem I'll know. I'll start to feel nauseous or light headed. But that hasn't happened and I only have 6 days left to go! I do try to sleep on my side as much as possible but I often wake up flat on my back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"