Babies: 6 - 9 Months

LO still isn't rolling tummy to back, should I be concerned?

My LO can roll to his belly fine but then he seems stuck.  Our pedi said we need to stop "rescuing" him so he has to figure it out but he'll just lay there and cry until you flip him.  I try to show him how do it instead of just picking him up.  Is there anything you ladies can suggest?  He'll be 7 months old this week.
image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: LO still isn't rolling tummy to back, should I be concerned?

• My little just started, and he loves it now! I wouldn't worry!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine doesn't either because she prefers being on her tummy.

You could try putting him on his tummy underneath a mobile or something else interesting so he'll want to roll over to see it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter did it about 5 times in one day at around 4 months and hasn't done it since. About a week after that she started going from back to belly and does it all the time since. For the first few weeks she would cry, especially at night in her crib, but now she sleeps and plays on her belly. She has zero interest in going the other way. I brought it up at her 6 month appt and the doctor said it was fine and that some babies don't roll much or at all and that back to belly is actually harder so I shouldn't worry. 
  • I agree with your pediatrician. When he wants to roll to his back and starts crying for you to do it, wait a minute then go help out. 

My son was rolling back to belly for about two months before he realized he could reverse the process. One day he just started doing it and then rolled around the living room practicing.

You LO will get there, he just has to do it in his own time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD started rolling early and then completely stopped for a few months. Crazy.

Samething on our end, pedi told us to stop rescuing her. Even then, it took awhile. At about 7.5 or 8 months, she started rolling like crazy. Your LO will get there, too.

• I agree with pp. the gym mat and dont rescue lo. my son would get self absorbed in the play gym and not realize he was doing it himself. me rescuing my son seemed to fustrate him even more so i let him figure it out,
  • Has he ever rolled that way?  To be able to do it, he has to kind of have both of his arms directly in front of him, so one arm sort of gets tucked under.  Instead of rescuing him completely, how about just putting his arms like that to see what he does?
    Baby Boy #1 born on 3/21/08 
    BFP 8/2/10 (3w5d); No more heartbeat on 8/30/10 (7w4d); D&C on 9/2/10 (8w) - Baby Boy with Triploidy
    BFP 12/3/10 (4w2d); Natural miscarriage 12/12/10 (5w4d) - Unknown cause
    Diagnosed with Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    BFP 3/9/11; Baby Boy #2 born on 11/7/11
    Currently TTC Baby #3

• Tummy time is very important, and none of my kids liked it. I would leave them squirming and whimpering for a few minutes and then "rescue" them. I wouldn't leave your baby until he's all out bawling, but don't always rescue him, either.

Every baby is different, and I think with each child they do things a little earlier, at least that's been my experience. My (3rd) starting rolling over consistently at just 3 months and by 4 months he was rolling belly to back and back to belly. My pediatrician said he's going to be an early walker--he's just been doing everything ahead of schedule. However, my first son was a laid back little guy who was toward the end of the curve with everything (walked at 14 months, etc) but now he can run with the best of em ;) So, check with your Pediatrician, only they can tell if if they're concerned about your babies development. If they're not, just realize it can literally happen overnight!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Brayden (5 1/2) born 12.28.06
    Hailey (4 1/2) born 2.25.08
    Taylor (8 Months) born 12.26.11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My first didnt do it until we actually sleep trained her at 6 months. She was crying for half hour and then flipped over. I guess being mad helped her :)

In all seriousness though- no, i wouldnt suggest that- we were sleep training for the 15 pacifier wake ups per night. But I agree with PP, you have to let your LO struggle a bit. It will come in time.

• Mine had rolled twice ever ever. Back to belly. That was at 4 months. She is just not a roller or crawler
  • N isn't rolling from tummy to back either, so it's frustrating at night when he gets stuck and you have to go un-stick him, but everyone assures me it's coming. Even the doctor put him on his tummy at his 6 month appt and said his muscle tone is good and he is capable, just not mad enough yet to flip over.
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"