August 2011 Moms

Feeding solids ?....LO is VERY picky!

ok so I am in the process of feeding more finger foods than puree foods and DD is not having it so much! All she wants is puffs, graham crackers and yogurt. DH and I have been trying more solids like small cut up fruits and veggies. Yeah not so much! DD HATES veggies! She will eat fruits if I make them in the magic bullet and feed it to her. Any tricks or anyone else have problems with transition? Also how many bottles a day is your LO drinking we are down to 3. Morning, noon and night.
Lynette Kaitlyn Jones arrived August 23rd, 2011! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket

Re: Feeding solids ?....LO is VERY picky!

• eesomeeesome member

The best way to nip this in the bud is to give her only fruits and veggies. If she's truly hungry, she'll eat. Otherwise-- if you stay on this patten, you will end up with a spoiled toddler that will only eat mac n cheese (I know a few kids like this).

Maybe offer the fruits/veggies first, and once she eats some of them, offer her something else. Maybe introduce protiens in her diet or some basic starches (like noodles).

And as far as bottles, my DD is drinking about 3 a day, too. One for each nap, and one at bedtime.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageeesome:

The best way to nip this in the bud is to give her only fruits and veggies. If she's truly hungry, she'll eat. Otherwise-- if you stay on this patten, you will end up with a spoiled toddler that will only eat mac n cheese (I know a few kids like this).

Maybe offer the fruits/veggies first, and once she eats some of them, offer her something else. Maybe introduce protiens in her diet or some basic starches (like noodles).

And as far as bottles, my DD is drinking about 3 a day, too. One for each nap, and one at bedtime.

I agree I donot want to be a side order chef! My mom always said..."eat whats on your plate or go hungry" Well I too am trying to go by that. We found out she is allergic to egg after I fed her scrambled eggs a couple weeks ago so I have to be careful with pasta. My main concern is veggies. She likes the puffs I bought that are veggie but nothing raw :(

Lynette Kaitlyn Jones arrived August 23rd, 2011! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • I am SO glad that you posted this because we are going through the same thing. We go through spurts where all we want is solids and then we don't want that we will only eat pureed food. I am not sure if it has anything to do with teething.... just a thought?

Like this morning E LOVES pancakes... so I made them.... wouldn't eat them had to give him yogurt!.

I guess this was not helpful just more of support and you are not alone :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Can your LO actually hold fruit and veggies?  DD finds them very slippery and has a hard time.  She does love green beans, though!  She can hold them and eat them - she's quite happy.  She will eat fruits and vegetables from a spoon and fork though, pieces, if I giver her her own fork and spoon.  She wants to feed herself!
    3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • I thought our LO was getting picky, because she would eat a few bites of something and then start throwing it on the floor.  It turned out she really just likes having a variety at mealtimes.  I'm also not trying to make 5 different things for her, so the simplest solution I've found is frozen mixed veggies.  Our blend has peas, beans, carrots, and corn.  I think she likes being able to pick through the different colors and shapes and sizes of food, it keeps her interested enough that she is eating a full serving of veggies at least once a day now.  I steam one cup at a time and store them in the fridge for three days. You can also steam and then re-freeze single portions for future use.  Hope this helps!

Oh, and I always make sure to offer the veggies first.  If I give her fruit or meatball - her favorites - she will totally ignore the veggies.  So it's veggies first and I let her work on that while I get together whatever else I'm feeding her. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thanks Ladies! I will try some of these techniques. She LOVES sweet potatoe but if I keep feeding them to her she will turn into one! ha. I tried some variety today and lunch and all she wanted was banana and yogurt. I am going to try some veggies for dinner and see what happens :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"