Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Switching to finger foods....HELP?? LO is VERY Picky!

So we are in the process of transitioning to more finger foods and LO is NOT having it. I have been cutting up fruits and veggies along with other foods from our pplates and she is not eating them. She only eats Graham Crackers, puffs and yogurt. Oh and she loves sweet potatoe if I puree it. Please tell me Im not the only one! It is sooooo frustrating. Also how many bottles is your LO drinking now? I am doing one 1st thing in the am when she wakes, one for morning and afternoon nap and one b4 bed. I am starting to think this is too much??
Lynette Kaitlyn Jones arrived August 23rd, 2011! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket

Re: Switching to finger foods....HELP?? LO is VERY Picky!

• Try grated cheese, it's a "grate" finger food, he he. 
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • hehe...I have...:( and no luck..... I know there is what, a 3 day rule of getting use to foods? I am starting to think maybe she is drinking too many bottles and that she may not be hungry?? This is stressing me out.
    Lynette Kaitlyn Jones arrived August 23rd, 2011! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • I would just keep offering stuff and see what happens. She'll do it on her own time when she's ready.

Is your LO drinking all of her bottles? If so, she's probably legit hungry and needs them. If she's leaving some, I'd considering dropping bottles.

I wouldn't be too worried though...my LO will be 1 next week and was still drinking like 5-6 bottles a day. Meh whatever. Somedays she eats better than others foodwise but is fine. Now in the last week she started dropping bottles and we're down to 3. I also make sure now that she gets solids before bottle in the morning and at bed. I replaced her 4pm with a snack and a sippy.

Babies do it on their time schedule! ;)

• I am also having a bit of a hard time with finger foods and well feeding my LO in general. She seems to be more interested in playing rather than eating. It takes forever to feed her. I figure, she won't starve herself and will eat if she's hungry. I will just keep at it and keep offering her different things. 
  • imagechellebellesoliman:
    I am also having a bit of a hard time with finger foods and well feeding my LO in general. She seems to be more interested in playing rather than eating. It takes forever to feed her. I figure, she won't starve herself and will eat if she's hungry. I will just keep at it and keep offering her different things. 

Glad to hear! You are in the same boat. She is starting to not finish her bottles and she does have some good days....more bad. We found out she is allergic to egg so that is out!

• Honestly, I would let kiddo have EVERYTHING. We take everything we eat at dinner and throw it on a plate for Leif, and he goes to town. He tries all of what we eat. He loves beans, fish, rice and lettuce. We gave him a hunk of raw corn on the cob the other day. He went crazy on that thing. He likes whole asparagus, and I make grilled sweet potato sticks that he really loves. Just try everything. They will get interested if they can feed themselves.
  • Don't stress.  Food at this age is for fun, not nutrition.  So it's perfectly fine that she's taking 4 bottles because BM/formula (and later milk) consumption shouldn't be decreased on purpose until after 1.  Some kids naturally start taking less and that's fine too but don't force a bottle decrease.  Have you tried chicken breast strips, toast, roasted veggies, cottage cheese, pancakes, fish?
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• The last couple of days at lunch time I've been giving DD toast with a fruit puree spread on top and then I cut it into strips so she can hold them and feed herself...it gets pretty messy but she LOVES it! I've been having a little trouble feeding her the pureed foods with a spoon lately...I think she just wants to feed herself now that she knows she can. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Visit The Nest!
  • Everything she eats is pretty sugary, so it's not too surprising that she's turning down a lot of non-sweet foods.

Have you tried sweet potato sticks?  If you slice them thinly they'll be a little crunchy and if she already like sweet potato....

Also try watermelon/other melon spears, sweet strawberries, or mango.  All are pretty sweet.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for all the tips girls! I will try them. She ate banana at lunch and a couple bites of macaroni/cheese. She wasnt really having the macaroni. She'll get it sure enough I just worry about later with her not wanting veggies :(

• jmo866jmo866 member
    imagegferg:

Thanks for all the tips girls! I will try them. She ate banana at lunch and a couple bites of macaroni/cheese. She wasnt really having the macaroni. She'll get it sure enough I just worry about later with her not wanting veggies :(

Honestly, I have been worried about this too. My son is even older and just started becoming more picky. He used to eat peas, carrots, corn, sweet potato, and now, all of them get thrown on the ground, unless it's puree, which I am trying to get away from. I am hoping it's a work on progress! Good luck, but I have no words of wisdom! :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am still having problems with LO eating finger foods too.  Yesterday I cut up strawberries and I bought some Gerber carrots and she wouldn't eat them.  Now if the food is dry like grated cheese, cheerios, puffs, or the gerber stuff she'll eat it in a heart beat, but if it's wet she won't even touch it.
  • Boil frozen veggies in chicken or beef broth - I do this a few times a week and B gobbles them up.  You can choose how soft they get this way, too - want them softer, let them boil longer.  
  • imageRubyRed80:
    I am still having problems with LO eating finger foods too.  Yesterday I cut up strawberries and I bought some Gerber carrots and she wouldn't eat them.  Now if the food is dry like grated cheese, cheerios, puffs, or the gerber stuff she'll eat it in a heart beat, but if it's wet she won't even touch it.

Us exactly! She will gobble up a puff in a heartbeat and also the veggie sticks I bought for her and well anything else to that nature but give her "real" food and straight to the floor or the famous jerk of the head to the side.....ugggh so frustrating!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"