3rd Trimester

Pineapples anyone!!!

I'm 40 weeks and 1 day!!!  A lot of ppl say that it"s not unusual to go a few days over when your a FTM. Still, it's freaking me out bc he is already measuring at 41 weeks! I read that pineapples can induce labor. Work for anyone, or anyone you know?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pineapples anyone!!!

• I went to 42 weeks with DD and ate pineapple every day in those last 2 weeks.  It did not work but was yummy!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I'm 32 weeks and have craved pineapple for months. Sometimes I eat an entire pineapple in one sitting and it does absolutely nothing to me. I think you'd have to eat a truckload of pineapple to induce anything. Just my opinion though... it's tasty if nothing else :)
    Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
    December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Brisk walking and sex are the only ways that I've heard can actually help jump start impending labor, and I've heard that the rest are all old wives tales...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At 39 1/2 weeks I ate a whole pineapple. I took long walks, bounced on a birthing ball, sex, ate spicy food. I tried everything. Had to be induced at 10 days. 

When someone is 40 weeks pregnant and goes into labor after doing something to help "induce" it's not what you did, it was just time to have that baby!

Baby comes when baby is ready!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • It does NOT induce labor. Pineapples have some prostaglandin in them (mainly in the core) and prostaglandin is known to have some effect on the cervix (softening, ripening, etc). Eating lots of pineapple throughout pregnancy, just as having regular sex throughout pregnancy (as prostaglandin is also found in semen), can aid in in readying the cervix once you are full term. Eating a whole pineapple once you hit your EDD will not induce labor. A lot less women would go over their EDDs if it were that easy. 

Not much will induce labor, aside from medical inductions of course, but there are some things you can do throughout pregnancy, and especially in the 3rd tri, to help your body/uterus/cervix get ready.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageNicole1026:
    I'm 40 weeks and 1 day!!!  A lot of ppl say that it"s not unusual to go a few days over when your a FTM.

I learned in my Bradley classes that, according to Harvard, human gestational time is actually 41w1d, not 40w0d. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think when anyone says, "Eat ____! I did and went into labor that night!" it is entirely coincidental. The chemicals that kick off the big show don't release until they release, and if it just so happens to be a few hours after you inhaled your body weight in pineapple and eggplant parm sandwiches, it's really just a coincidence.

That said, I'll be guilting my husband into mercy sex every day until this baby arrives, but that's more for the cervical benefits than any belief that it will actually kick-start labor. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My OB said it's just a myth. It's believed that hot food and pineapple can do that, but my OB said it was ok to eat it because she believed these weren't true.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't believe this works.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"