Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Am I kidding myself? Vaca w/2month old?

Hello Ladies ? I wanted to get you input on something. I will be a FTM in late January; we were planning a trip to the Bahamas (for a week) with a couple other families in late March before my BFP. My plan is to breastfeed. We were chatting with the other couples last night and they were very interested to see if I was still planning on going. Our answer was yes. Although this will be my first it will be SO?s 3rd, he is a wonderful father and LOVES the baby stage, I know he will be a huge help. He also did travel quite a bit w/his boys when they were babies. He is all for this trip, sees no issues.

Am I crazy to think I can pull this off? Being moms of babies around 2 months old right now what do you think?? TIA!!!!!!!!!

BFP#1 - 8/30/2010, natural M/C 10/3/2010 BFP#2 - 5/13/2012 (Mother's Day!) grow baby grow! Baby boy born 1-11-13!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker http://www.thebump.com/profiles/Jo2013/settings/avatar/index#

Re: Am I kidding myself? Vaca w/2month old?

• If you are successful in breastfeeding, by two months you and baby should be champs at it so I don't see why that would be an issue, just make sure you've practiced plenty with the nursing cover before then. I would go for it. It definitely won't be as carefree as a normal vacation but it sounds fun.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just went on a trip with my 10wk old- it was amazingly easy- especially BFing. And we have another trip in 2 weeks across the country and a 3rd trip to Maui in August. 

It will really help if you have a Moby wrap or ring sling- baby wear thru airport, plane and playing tourist. Also depends on your PP recovery, etc- but overall NBs are EZ- they need 3 things- food, diapers and sleep. 

We used the bassinet stage of our stroller and LO slept in that most of the time- we didn't need a Pack-n-play or anything. Or if you have a car seat adapter for your stroller - but our O hates the car seat.

We also brought the rock n play (one of our top 3 items can't live w/o), but we really didn't "need" it.

My 2 must haves at home or away are burp cloths and my Aden & Anais swaddle blankets that I use for blankets, burp cloths, etc- they are so light- perfect for hot weather as babies can breathe thru them if they get their face in them. When his burp cloths or blankets got messy I just hand washed and air dried them. 

One thing that did help on this last trip that was 5hr  - I brought one bottle that I pumped- came in handy. It was only LOs 5th bottle ever and the milk was cold, but when it was bad timing for me to BF, he took that cold milk over no milk. On our next trip, I'll prob pack my pump to have a bottle coming back, too. But, again- not "truly" necessary when BFing.

I also googled "traveling with newborns" checked out TSA info, our flight/carrier info, etc There's a lot you can bring on a plane that doesn't count as TSA's 3oz rule. And, you'll need his birth certificate. Just plan ahead and you'll be fine. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Will you need passports? Will your baby? Also some pedis don't recommend traveling to certain places until your child has gotten certain vaccinations. I'd call your pedi and ask. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am of the "can do" mentality -- I'd say as long as you're up to it, go for it! :)

• Traveling with a baby at two months is going to be the easiest kid-travel experience you'll have for a long while.  Go.  I started traveling with DS (usually solo) from the time he was 2 months and continue to fly with both kids now - it was SO easy when he was tiny.  Wear your baby, feed on take off and landing (if baby's awake), no biggie.  

We've got one trip planned with this baby at 2 months and another trip in the making for 3 months.  I'm not worried about the baby for a second - it's the 2 and 4 year olds that will be the issue! 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemlf625:

.... I'm not worried about the baby for a second - it's the 2 and 4 year olds that will be the issue! 

Haha, amen to that! :) 

• I traveled (flew) alone with DS when he was 4 weeks, 13 weeks, 9 months, and a year.  The newborn stage is the easiest!  I agree with feeding during take off and landing to help equalize the air pressure in your LO's ears.  If you are traveling before LO is 8 weeks then s/he won't have shots yet as insurance doesn't pay for the 2 months shots before 8 weeks.  I also would not travel in the few days following shots because some LO's don't feel well after or have fevers so try to avoid that.  Honestly traveling with a newborn seems overwhelming because of all the stuff you "need" to bring and that will feel very different to you, but then when your LO is 2 years old and you try to travel you will realize how easy he was as a newborn!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO will be 2 months old on Saturday and I would say go for it. Since you are planning on breastfeeding that part will be easy because you won't have to worry about having baby's food. I have not gone on a trip on a plane yet but we have stayed at a hotel already and gone lots of places. Just keep an open mind while you are there that if baby is hungry, tired, cranky, etc. you may need to adjust certain plans, but otherwise I think it would be fine.
  • Just got back from a week in Mexico with my 7 week old and husband's family. You can DEFINITELY do this! Mine is formula fed so that was a little harder, since you can't drink the water, but other than that the only issue was a change in routine. Definitely check out the TSA rules, as the PP said, check with your pedi about vaccines (mine got hers 2 weeks early) and go get the passport as soon as possible after birth. We had a terrible time getting the pic, and a friend suggested that we should have put a white blanket in the car seat and taken the pic in there. Wish I'd thought of that. Have a great time! :-)
  • Jo2013Jo2013 member
    imageLesleyT:

I just went on a trip with my 10wk old- it was amazingly easy- especially BFing. And we have another trip in 2 weeks across the country and a 3rd trip to Maui in August. 

It will really help if you have a Moby wrap or ring sling- baby wear thru airport, plane and playing tourist. Also depends on your PP recovery, etc- but overall NBs are EZ- they need 3 things- food, diapers and sleep. 

We used the bassinet stage of our stroller and LO slept in that most of the time- we didn't need a Pack-n-play or anything. Or if you have a car seat adapter for your stroller - but our O hates the car seat.

We also brought the rock n play (one of our top 3 items can't live w/o), but we really didn't "need" it.

My 2 must haves at home or away are burp cloths and my Aden & Anais swaddle blankets that I use for blankets, burp cloths, etc- they are so light- perfect for hot weather as babies can breathe thru them if they get their face in them. When his burp cloths or blankets got messy I just hand washed and air dried them. 

One thing that did help on this last trip that was 5hr  - I brought one bottle that I pumped- came in handy. It was only LOs 5th bottle ever and the milk was cold, but when it was bad timing for me to BF, he took that cold milk over no milk. On our next trip, I'll prob pack my pump to have a bottle coming back, too. But, again- not "truly" necessary when BFing.

I also googled "traveling with newborns" checked out TSA info, our flight/carrier info, etc There's a lot you can bring on a plane that doesn't count as TSA's 3oz rule. And, you'll need his birth certificate. Just plan ahead and you'll be fine. :)

Thanks so much for all of this great info!!!

BFP#1 - 8/30/2010, natural M/C 10/3/2010 BFP#2 - 5/13/2012 (Mother's Day!) grow baby grow! Baby boy born 1-11-13!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker http://www.thebump.com/profiles/Jo2013/settings/avatar/index#
  • Jo2013Jo2013 member

imagemrsjengle:
    Will you need passports? Will your baby? Also some pedis don't recommend traveling to certain places until your child has gotten certain vaccinations. I'd call your pedi and ask. 

Ahh...baby passport, had not thought of that! Thank you!! As well as the vaccinations, good stuff, thank you!

• Jo2013Jo2013 member
    Thank you for all the tips ladies and the encouragement!!!! I think it would be so fun to travel with my new little baby! Great things to think about thanks to you all!
  • Jo2013Jo2013 member
  • Jo2013Jo2013 member
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"