June 2011 Moms

Warning if you rent/Fire update

We got the estimates from the dry cleaners and the clean-up company. Combined, they are more than the amount of coverage we have. I always thought we had enough insurance to replace everything, but I had no idea how much it would cost to clean everything. Now we are going to have to claim a lot of "save-able" items as a loss just to get enough money to replace the stuff we actually need.

Here's the warning to renters: Get WAY more insurance than you think you need. I worked with our agent to find a number we thought worked and it doesn't. Cleaning stuff with smoke damage is really expensive.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Warning if you rent/Fire update

• Oh man, that sucks so much! I guess you think of possibly having to replace stuff but not "only" having to clean it. What a mess. I hope you don't have to deal with all this much longer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • TBH, you're probably better off replacing a lot of stuff that seems salvageable. When I was working hotel housekeeping, we had a family stay with us for about 6 months because their house burned down. Stuff slowly trickled in as it was getting cleaned, and by the time they hit around the 2 month mark, the room smelled like a combination of wet dog, and smoke. The stuff that had been "cleaned" smelled terrible, and they ended up wasting a LOT of money replacing stuff they'd already paid someone to try and clean. I felt so terrible for them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

And Then There Were Three...
    Married: 08/14/10
    Baby #1 Born: 06/18/11
    June Moms Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • i

imagesunset+skies:
    TBH, you're probably better off replacing a lot of stuff that seems salvageable. When I was working hotel housekeeping, we had a family stay with us for about 6 months because their house burned down. Stuff slowly trickled in as it was getting cleaned, and by the time they hit around the 2 month mark, the room smelled like a combination of wet dog, and smoke. The stuff that had been "cleaned" smelled terrible, and they ended up wasting a LOT of money replacing stuff they'd already paid someone to try and clean. I felt so terrible for them.

my friends had the same experience with their 'cleaned' items from their house fire. everything, including some hard surface items that you'd think wouldn't hold the smell, still did. i'm so sorry that you are dealing with this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Did you use a Public Adjuster? Thats what my hubby does for a living he helps his clients get all the money they are entitled to from their Insurance company. You would be amazed how much you probably are still owed for things you didnt even think about. Believe me he deals with fires/floods/ everything that includes claims, you may want to look into this. Sorry about the fire :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"