2nd Trimester

Early gender detection

I keep hearing about mom's who are going to these facilities where they have a certified tech perform an ultrasound on them to detect far earlier what gender the baby is.

I am almost 14 weeks and I hear that I could probably get this performed but I have no idea what types of places do this. My Dr won't let me come in for the gender scan until 20 weeks.

Does anyone know what type of facility this would specifically be called? I'm trying to google if we have one around where I live.

Note: I know that this could be potentially not as accurate but from what I keep hearing it is has been successful for many, many moms 

Thanks in advance. 

Re: Early gender detection

• Try google. No one can help you specifically unless they're in the same area as you. 

Google "ultrasounds in _______" and you should get some hits.  

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • You can google elective ultrasounds in your area, or 3D/4D ultrasounds.  You may also want to post on your local board to see if anyone know of any facilities close to you.  I think they will let you come in around 15 weeks or so, but it is still really early to find out at that point.  We found out at 16 weeks with both my pregnancies, but those ultrasounds were done at my OB's office.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Like RissKay said, but maybe "elective ultrasound in ___ "

I did it at 16 weeks and 5 days. My facility wouldn't attempt gender determination prior to 16 weeks. According to my A/S, they got it right.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You may want to check out this site.  At 14 weeks, it still may be too hard to tell what the sex is... they look similar.  I'd wait until 16 weeks at least.  https://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html
    ~ Single Mother by Choice ~ IUI with donor sperm - BFP on 2nd attempt! BabyFruit Ticker
  • I went at 15.5 weeks and she could see clearly that we were having a boy. Try google. I know storkvision has places throughout the country so you might look there
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The elective place by me does them at 14 weeks. I went at 14 weeks 6 days, and had no issues telling.  I checked yelp for mine so I could get some reviews as well.

I was flying home so wanted to know in order to tell my family in person and show them the u/s, but if you can wait a little, I still would since I don't think the u/s images are all that impressive...LO still looks kinda blob-like.  But if you don't care about the images, and just want the sex determination, then go for it!!!

Good luck! :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • or google elective ultrasounds.  I think the earliest you can get them done is 16 weeks.  
  • It's not a gender scan. It's called an anatomy scan, the purpose of which is to see the baby's anatomy....not the sex. That's just a perk.

I agree with PP...use google. Or, you know, try being patient? You're only 14 weeks. Any guess a tech may give you may very well be wrong at this point, and that would be money down the drain.  

• imageMrsNorry:

It's not a gender scan. It's called an anatomy scan, the purpose of which is to see the baby's anatomy....not the sex. That's just a perk.

I agree with PP...use google. Or, you know, try being patient? You're only 14 weeks. Any guess a tech may give you may very well be wrong at this point, and that would be money down the drain.  

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cringes when I hear people call it a 'gender scan.'  I remember there was a girl on here two years ago trying to see if she could get her doctor to do another u/s because the baby wasn't 'cooperating' and she didn't get to find out the sex.  Well, boohoo!  My guess is insurance companies wouldn't pay for an u/s that's sole purpose was to tell you the sex! 

• My doctor was able to tell at 13 weeks and 6 days.  It was clear that it was a boy at that appt.   I had ultra sounds at every appt with my OB.
  • imagesschwege:
    imageMrsNorry:

It's not a gender scan. It's called an anatomy scan, the purpose of which is to see the baby's anatomy....not the sex. That's just a perk.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cringes when I hear people call it a 'gender scan.'  I remember there was a girl on here two years ago trying to see if she could get her doctor to do another u/s because the baby wasn't 'cooperating' and she didn't get to find out the sex.  Well, boohoo!  My guess is insurance companies wouldn't pay for an u/s that's sole purpose was to tell you the sex! 

All of this. I don't understand why anyone pays to have these things done.  But, to each their own I guess... 

Josh + Meagan 06.12.10/Baby J 11.8.12

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/66971958.aspx

Also, this scan is not the anatomy scan. The anatomy scan is the scan in which they measure the different parts of anatomy of the baby to ensure normal growth and check for abnormalities. This scan is (most of the time) done no earlier than 18-22 weeks. This scan is usually performed at your doctor's office, or you're referred to a place by your dr. 

"Gender scan" or "gender determination" are common terms used by most elective places to determine the sex. I use the term because if you look up their services, they list this as a "gender check" or "gender determination" and if I were to say "sex check" it might confuse someone who is looking/trying to find information. Though, I do agree with the "you're finding out the sex of your baby, gender is their emotional/mental state" argument. 

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • LorMorLorMor member
    We were told at our NT scan at 13 weeks. 
  • Try "elective ultrasound pregnancy XXXX" (where XXXX is your closest big city or county). That brings up three facilities in my area.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagesschwege:
    imageMrsNorry:

Except she is talking about an elective U/S specifically to determine the gender -- these places call them "gender determination scans." She's not talking about an anatomy scan. So you can stop cringing. Or perhaps you just don't know that you can pay out of pocket to have these done at special, non-medical facilities?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • TiaS16TiaS16 member
    I'm going in for mine at just after 16 weeks. I had to get a 'permission slip' from my doctor to take to the u/s tech or she wouldn't schedule me. The u/s I'm getting is a 3D/4D with all sorts of extras. I'm really excited about it, I know that it's really early of that kind, but it's all included, so why not. 
    Anniversary
  • imagehmontty:
    imagesschwege:
    imageMrsNorry:

Except she is talking about an elective U/S specifically to determine the gender -- these places call them "gender determination scans." She's not talking about an anatomy scan. So you can stop cringing. Or perhaps you just don't know that you can pay out of pocket to have these done at special, non-medical facilities?

But she did call her anatomy scan a "gender scan".
    Sweet Baby Samson born 11.16.10
    Darling Little Sydney born 12.22.12
    Two Babies in Heaven
    My Babe, More Precious is to Me
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ~A ridiculous amount of love to all my Golden Girls!~
  • imagehmontty:
    imagesschwege:
    imageMrsNorry:

Yes, she is asking about getting an elective u/s but what these posters are commenting on is the OPs sentance "the dr. won't let me come in for the gender scan until 20w". They are clarifying the reasoning for that.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • For those that say "my doctor could clearly tell" I think you need to look at this.

https://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagerrcraz7:
    imagehmontty:
    imagesschwege:
    imageMrsNorry:

Yes, she is asking about getting an elective u/s but what these posters are commenting on is the OPs sentance "the dr. won't let me come in for the gender scan until 20w". They are clarifying the reasoning for that.

Yes, thank you! 

• I did it at 16 weeks and 5 days. My facility wouldn't attempt gender determination prior to 16 weeks. According to my A/S, they got it right.

• imagesschwege:
    imageMrsNorry:

All of this....ALL. OF. IT. 

V|V TSP V|V
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagerrcraz7:
    imagehmontty:

DING DING DING! TYVM.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"