January 2013 Moms

Just discovered not allowed licorice...oops

The last 3 days I've had some black licorice sweets as they've helped with my MS, and just by chance came across an article that says licorice is a no-no! Oops!! Here's hoping that it turns out not to have created an issue. 

My 9 YO step daughter has been kissing my tummy a lot the last few days, so perhaps that's countered any licorice issues! :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Just discovered not allowed licorice...oops

• Oops i just ate like half a bag at work. A co-worker bought me a bag because I was craving it!
    Married my best friend September 4, 2011

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker

• It depends on what type of licorice...

The good news is the red licorice candy that?s sold in so many stores contains little or no glycyrrhizin since it?s flavored with anise oil rather than licorice oil. ?Real? black licorice does contain glycyrrhizin since it?s flavored with licorice oil and should be avoided during pregnancy or if you have high blood pressure or heart disease.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

PCOS and Hypothyroidism- Successful IUI's- May 2012 and October 2014.  Miscarriage @ 6w3d in December 2009.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's good to know! Thanks! I've been chowing down on red licorice!
    Married my best friend September 4, 2011

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker

• Why is it not allowed? I love black licorice!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Phew....scared me there for a minute....just ate a few handfuls of cherry licorice at my parents lake house.  Glad that red it ok! 
  • Phew...Glad red is ok.  LOVE IT!!!  Not a fan of black, so I'm in the clear :)
  • cwildtcwildt member
    I've been eating the black one and I checked the label, and has licorice extract. So definitely not the one thats allowed. 
  • You'd have to eat 100g of pure licorice a week:

Women who ate more than 500mg of glycyrrhizin per week ? found in the equivalent of 100g of pure licorice ? were more likely to have children with lower intelligence levels and more behavioral problems.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091006093349.htm

I think we're all fine unless you've constantly been eating it. 

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Glad to hear red is ok.  Probably the closest thing I've had to a craving so far and Twizzlers have been in my mouth often lately. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"