August 2012 Moms

Little weight gain = small baby?

Hello all!

I recently I moved in with my parents to have a little more support after the baby was born. To my surprise both my parents gasped as said that I looked like I had put no weight on, and if it wasn't for my rounded bump they wouldn't of thought I was pregnant. Last week I visited an old work colleague and he stated it looked like I had lost weight. 

Naturally you would assume, I would be delighted well, I'm not. It's true I struggled to eat in my 1st trimester, and in the 2nd I had to force myself to eat because I wasn't interested in food, I kept eating small and healthy meals - with an odd treat of a take away. 

Now I flicked through my notes to discover I weighed 163.8lbs/ 11.7st /74kg at the start of my pregnancy. I then promptly weighed myself here. And my current weight is 176.3lbs/12.6st /80kg. Which means I've only gained 12lbs/6kg. I was a little shocked and worried as my LO is only a tiny baby at 34weeks She only is 15.2 inches and weighs a little under 5lbs. Thought the doctors say they aren't concerned about this as she has had steady growth. 

But I'm feeling a little concerned about this. 
BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Little weight gain = small baby?

• imageTessaheartLuke:
    Hello all!

Thought the doctors say they aren't concerned about this as she has had steady growth. 

thats al that matters
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagenoah-bear:
    imageTessaheartLuke:
    Hello all!

Though the doctors say they aren't concerned about this as she has had steady growth. 

thats al that matters

I guess, I just can't help but be a little concerned I guess with this being my first and probs only child. I just dont want to do anything wrong or cause her any problems :/
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagenoah-bear:
    imageTessaheartLuke:
    Hello all!

Thought the doctors say they aren't concerned about this as she has had steady growth. 

thats al that matters

This!

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageTessaheartLuke:
    imagenoah-bear:
    imageTessaheartLuke:
    Hello all!

Though the doctors say they aren't concerned about this as she has had steady growth. 

thats al that matters

I guess, I just can't help but be a little concerned I guess with this being my first and probs only child. I just dont want to do anything wrong or cause her any problems :/
    its part of our jobs to worry. Some babies are peanuts and some, not so much.  As long as they say she is growing and healthy, focus on that and remain positive
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've gained about 12 pounds more than you and our babies are the same size :)

• I have GD, and even though I have only gained 17 lbs this pregnancy, my baby is measuring big.  At his last growth scan at 32 weeks he was estimated to weight 5 lbs 14 ozs.  My doctor said he was in the 83rd percentile and measuring 3 weeks ahead.  So if your baby is close to 5lbs at 33 weeks I would say she is right on track.  Babies also gain up to 1/2 their birth weight in the last 7 weeks of pregnancy.

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickersimage

imageimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I've gained LESS weight than you -- but don't know my baby's size -- I won't be having any more u/s so they can't tell me.  Look on the bright side, although a few lbs or a couple inches may not mean much in the end, you'll have a smaller baby you're trying to push out into this world -- thats kind of what I'm hoping for!! Smile

• Meh, don't worry about it.  I've gained about 12 lbs too, and my baby has always tended to be a little bigger on measurements and weight.  Trust your body.  It will gain what it needs, baby will take what he/she needs, and don't be concerned if your doctor isn't!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Once touched by pain, you're not the same But time can heal your heart again So let the clouds that bring you down Just fade away...
  • I *LOST* weight with DS (at the end nearly 40lbs) and he was 9.8

You can worry, but you'll be fine!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • No.  Little weight gain does not = small baby. 

I gained 19lbs total with DD2 and she was 6lbs 8oz when she was born at 35w0d.  

• DD1: August 2009
    • DD2: December 2010
    • DS: August 2012
    • M/C 9/2013, 12/2013 
    • DD3: October 2014 - April 2015 Miss you baby girl.
    • Current Due date:  April 14, 2016
    Musings of a Farmer's Wife
  • girl I work with had her baby last week, around 41 weeks.  she did not gain that much weight I think maybe 15lbs and she had a 9+ lbs baby.  I wouldn't worry, especially if your doctors are not worried. 

• In my case, little weight gain = small baby. I've only gained about 17 pounds and at my last u/s (32 weeks) my LO was measuring about 9 days behind (17th percentile). But my MW nor the OB she consults with were worried at all about it. They said that since everything else looked fine and my fundal height has been measuring within 2 cm each time of what it should be, that he could just be a small baby and not to worry! They also were not concerned about my weight gain. So just enjoy being a smaller pregnant lady! :-)
  • steverstever member
    I gained less than 20 pounds with DS and he was 7p11o.
  • My baby measured 3 pounds 15 ounces yesterday, and I weighed in at 19 pounds UNDER my starting weight. Nobody is concerned at all since the baby is perfectly fine.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"