1st Trimester

2 weeks pregnant?

I am pretty sure I know when we conceived and it was only 2 1/2 weeks ago. Is it possible to know that quickly? I spoke to my friend who is an OB and she is counting back to the first day of my last period which makes me 1 month along, according to her, which means my due date would be 2 weeks earlier than it is. Anyone know how common this is? Is this why a lot of babies are later than their due date?
~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
imageimage
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2 weeks pregnant?

• It always starts by the date of your last missed period. This is part of the 40 week time span. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It can be confusing. Your due date is determined by the first date of your last period, so, when you conceive, you are already two weeks pregnant (even though you weren't really pregnant before you conceived). So, if you are pregnant, you are 2-1/2 weeks past ovulation/conception, which is 4-1/2 weeks pregnant, and you can definitely know by now. Your period should already be late.

It is not why babies are born later than their due date - doctors take the whole thing into account when calculating due dates.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • As far as I know, all doctors do this. I know that the reason behind it is that most women know the first day of their last period but not the day of their ovulation (plus you could get pregnant up to seven days after ovulation, even if you don't have sex after ovulation). They take this into account with the forty week pregnancy.

As far as whether or not this is what causes babies to not come on their due dates, I would say no. Due dates are not an exact art nor are all babies the same. My son came exactly on his due date as did my younger brother. But due to complications sometimes (some babies just want to face the great big world sooner) or other reasons (some just want to stay in their safe warm cocoon for as long as possible) due dates are rarely right. 

• You are making my head hurt. POAS, make an OB appt., get an EDD. 
  • imageroxyttandme:
    You are making my head hurt. POAS, make an OB appt., get an EDD. 

All already done. Did you even read my post? I said I know when I conceived and I knew my due date.  If you're not going to be helpful then don't respond. Thanks! Buh bye!

~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
  • imagehpuckett:

As far as I know, all doctors do this. I know that the reason behind it is that most women know the first day of their last period but not the day of their ovulation (plus you could get pregnant up to seven days after ovulation, even if you don't have sex after ovulation). They take this into account with the forty week pregnancy.

thanks!

imageimage
  • imagelioness13:

imageroxyttandme:

All already done. Did you even read my post? I said I know when I conceived and I knew my due date.  If you're not going to be helpful then don't respond. Thanks! Buh bye!

Uh, no you didn't. You asked why your OB friend changed your EDD by two weeks. That doesn't sound like knowing your EDD to me. 

• Don't worry.  You are only 2 weeks pregnant regardless of what the medical community calls it as far as being "along."  Way back when, they didn't have fancy technology and women didn't discuss these private things so the only thing you could go by is date of last period so you are 4 weeks "along."  Full term is 37 weeks after implantation or 38 weeks after ovulation.  Congrats! Only 36 weeks to go!
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • I'm glad you asked this.  It always confuses me!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelioness13:

imageroxyttandme:

But how did you figure out a due date if you're not using your last period as the date to go by?  Because until you have an ultrasound, it's the first day of your last period that's used to determine a due date. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelioness13:

imageroxyttandme:

It's about to go down...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesmilormarie:
    Don't worry.  You are only 2 weeks pregnant regardless of what the medical community calls it as far as being "along."  Way back when, they didn't have fancy technology and women didn't discuss these private things so the only thing you could go by is date of last period so you are 4 weeks "along."  Full term is 37 weeks after implantation or 38 weeks after ovulation.  Congrats! Only 36 weeks to go!

Well there you go.  Someone who knows better than the entire medical community. 

OP, you're over-thinking it.  I get that it's confusing at first but It's just the way it's calculated.  You're not technically pregnant the first 2 weeks of pregnancy.  Weird as it may be, that's the way it is.  Plenty of women chart and know when they ovulated (You know when you ovulated.... NOT when you conceived, by the way) but their pregnancies are also calculated this way.  That's why due dates are estimates. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagehansonam446:

Haha I'm in love with this whole string of responses.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagehpuckett:

As far as I know, all doctors do this. I know that the reason behind it is that most women know the first day of their last period but not the day of their ovulation (plus you could get pregnant up to seven days after ovulation, even if you don't have sex after ovulation). They take this into account with the forty week pregnancy.

As far as whether or not this is what causes babies to not come on their due dates, I would say no. Due dates are not an exact art nor are all babies the same. My son came exactly on his due date as did my younger brother. But due to complications sometimes (some babies just want to face the great big world sooner) or other reasons (some just want to stay in their safe warm cocoon for as long as possible) due dates are rarely right. 

Not true.  Sperm can live that long but an egg cannot.  After ovulation you have 24-36 hours MAX.  That's why it's better to have sex just before ovulation when trying to get pregnant.  If you wait until after you ovulate, you might miss the boat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagedrpayne:

OP, you're over-thinking it.  I get that it's confusing at first but It's just the way it's calculated.  You're not technically pregnant the first 2 weeks of pregnancy.  Weird as it may be, that's the way it is.  Plenty of women chart and know when they ovulated (You know when you ovulated.... NOT when you conceived, by the way) but their pregnancies are also calculated this way.  That's why due dates are estimates. 

Got it. Yes, I am over thinking this and I came here hoping someone would help me understand it. When I found out I was pregnant, one calculator asked based on conception date and some asked based on last period. I got different due dates. I probably should have said that in my OP. Okay, so I'm one month along. Cool...

imageimage
  • imagelioness13:

imageroxyttandme:

ha ha....that was awesome 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"