3rd Trimester

4th of July Induction...your thoughts???

What are your thoughts of choosing July 4 as your LOs b-day?  It is the first date my dr. has given as an induction date. Not sure how I feel about it. I don't have to choose it.

Re: 4th of July Induction...your thoughts???

• At least you know  you would always have the day off. But then again me being me I would choose the 5th so that i can pig out at BBQ's all day on the 4th! lmao
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't get too attached, even if you are induced that day. LO could still come early the next day. 

Btu having fireworks on your birthday every year is pretty cool!   

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't think I would mind it if it was not in the morning. There's a good chance your LO won't be born on the 4th that way.
  • I'd say go for it! :o) Sounds fun!

~~~ EDD for Baby #2  6/28/15~~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd do it. 
  • I'd probably choose the 5th just so the birthday is separate from another holiday. But then again, as PPs said, just bc you get induced that day doesn't mean the baby will be born the same day.

• As a kid I'm not sure how keen I'd be on the idea but as an adult (which god-willing you are for much longer than you are a child) It would be awesome to always have off on my birthday. And it's not like kid's birthday parties and whatnot ever happen on their actual birthday so no worrying about nobody showing up because it's the 4th of July... food for thought.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think it would kind've suck because most of their friends will be out of town or spending the day with family and won't be able to attend a party.  I guess you could always do it before/after.

Fireworks on your birthday would be cool, though. 

• I was born on Valentines day (not by induction, just because that is how it worked out) and I HATE sharing my birthday with the holiday. Valentine's Day just doesn't feel as special and it's really hard to find people to celebrate with on the day because they already have plans. Just something to think about.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My father in law told me about a coworker of his who was born on July 4th.  The man also got married on July 4th.  Because he had a union job and his birthday and anniversary were on July 4th, and it's independence day, he made quadruple overtime on that one day of the year.  Just thought I'd share because I always thought it was really interesting how the man always chose to work on that day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think you should go for it! I think the argument that people won't be able to make birthday parties because of the holiday is not really an issue. I think in the past 6 years of throwing my girls' parties it's only happened once that the party actually fell on the birthday. DD2 is having her party this Friday the 6th even though her birthday is July 15. There are definitely ways around the people having other plans on the 4th.

I also think it would awesome to have fireworks on every birthday! 

Elizabeth Grace 11.20.05 Nora June 7.15.08 Beatrix Catherine 9.4.12
  • I would go for it.  I was actually hoping that my dr would let me be induced that day but I am scheduled for the 6th.  LO could end up coming on the 4th anyways, you never know. 

Good Luck!

Karen

• I think it's fun and when our LO was still breech and we were talking scheduled C section, I was trying to convince our OB to deliver on the 4th (even though it's his wife's birthday and he said he never works on the 4th Smile).
  • My niece is a 4th of July baby.  It is nice because the family is always together to celebrate her birthday and it is super easy to remember her birthday.  My sister can always dress her really cute in red,white, and blue stuff too for her parties.
  • Its completely up to you! I agree that your induciton date may not end up being your delivery date :)

As far as everyone saying folks are too busy around holidays to celebrate I don't think a few days either way will make much difference... If someone is busy July 4th will they really be free July 5th?? Maybe, maybe not. My sons birthday is right around Memorial Day and we usually have to shift his party to accomodate. It's not a big deal at all; you would typically wait until the weekend to throw a party so how often will you really need to worry about their actual date of birth for party palnning?

Don't sweat the small stuff! Your childs birthday will be wonderful no matter what :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • jelinajelina member
    My brother who is soon to be 19 is a 4th of July baby. It was always fun to have fireworks and a celebration centered around his birthday. When he was little he always thought the fireworks were for his birthday. He doesn't mind at all. It made for lots of extra fun 4th of July parties with the extended family.
  • Unless you go in at midnight on the 4th, I think it's more likely that you'll have the baby on the 5th. Inductions seem to take at least 24-hours to a few days from what I can tell unless you've already dilated quite a bit.

I have an induction scheduled for 8pm on July 4th. They first have to give me doses of cervadil before they can give me pitocin. Baby won't arrive until the 5th at the earliest.

Shana
    Baby girl born July 6th 2012 at 40w2d
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It would totally depend on why I was being induced and if my body was ready.  What's your Bishop Score?  Are you a favorable candidate for induction?  Why not wait for baby to come naturally?

FWIW, I was induced on Saturday morning and had DD on Monday morning.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecedenton:

I think it would kind've suck because most of their friends will be out of town or spending the day with family and won't be able to attend a party.  I guess you could always do it before/after.

This. My birthday falls on Father's Day some years and people are always busy with their dad/husbands.  

DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • GoBleuGoBleu member
    Not sure of your exact situation, so I may be sharing irritating info that doesn't make you feel any better but my DS was born July 8th and I don't think we got as good of care if it weren't a holiday week. It is a large, well-respected hospital but only has ONE lactation consultant who was on vacation. Because of my experience, I would be wary of a holiday delivery.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hospital staff is awful on holidays and weekends. If I had the choice I wouldn't do the 4th.
  • imagecedenton:

I think it would kind've suck because most of their friends will be out of town or spending the day with family and won't be able to attend a party.  I guess you could always do it before/after.

Fireworks on your birthday would be cool, though. 

My birthday is the 5th and it sucked growing up with that birthday because my friends were usually out of town for my parties. Now, I don't really mind.  My family usually celebrates my birthday a day early because we're all together for the fourth.

• Aside from the whole birthday on a holiday thing, there might be something else you'd want to consider.... 

If you're delivering at a teaching hospital you might want to consider delaying it if you can.  All the new residents and fellows start on July 1st (standard across the country).  There's usually some confusion during the first week since they aren't familiar with hospital procedures, and are trying to learn their way around the hospital (finding patient rooms, supplies, etc.). It can be a bit chaotic even for veteran staff who have to wrangle the newbies.

I don't mean to freak anyone out, just want to throw that out there as a consideration.   My husband just finished a surgical fellowship and the inside joke among his colleagues throughout his medical training has always been "don't go to the hospital the first week in July."

I had a pre-consult with anesthesia yesterday and sure enough the attending physician had to excuse himself during our meeting b/c his residents couldn't enter the Labor and Delivery floor b/c their key cards hadn't been activated yet. 

Good luck with whatever you decide!! I hope all goes smoothly for you!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"