Parenting

I don't know how I want to react

Isn't that ridiculous? haha  I'm not sure how I feel about this so help me out.

Every July 4th we go to a cookout thrown by my extended family.  Any get together that doesn't involve DH's friends of family makes him groan because he says he doesn't have anyone to talk to.  But this once a year cookout is the only thing I ever ask him to go to.  This year he wants to go to his brother's house for the day (who we saw last weekend and have seen about 4 other times in the past few months) and have me take Aiden to see my family.

I guess I kind of don't care except that it leaves me with all the kid wrangling while he gets a day totally to himself.  Plus then I have to answer everyone who asks why he isn't there.  Do people care why someone isn't there?  Do they take it personally?  I don't know how to phrase "He got a better invitation" :-p

I honestly am not someone who cares if their DH goes out or whatever but I feel slighted that the only time we're supposed to hang with my family, he wants to bail.

Formerly known as elmoali :)

Re: I don't know how I want to react

• I would be irritated, but I'm b!tchy that way and he tends to get more free time than I do, (not necessarily his fault.) I think since it's a family thing he should be the one to suck it up. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'd be bummed.  I'd tell DH exactly what you have written above.  He can suck it up for 1 day.  If he's crabby about not having anyone to hang with, you can remind him he has a child that would love to spend time with him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • jess60jess60 member

That would, and has bothered me.  I get that my friends & family aren't nearly as fun as his are but like you, it's not a frequent request.

What we usually end up doing is spending half the day at one then the other half at the other.  Any way you could split it up like that?

• imageCTGirl30:
    I think he needs to take one for the team here and come with you. It's only fair and it would put you in an awkward position doing the explaining when people will (inevitably) ask where he is.

This. If he just can't do it then you tell him that you are entitled to a day to yourself while he takes the kiddo to one of his many family get togethers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSLHurst11:
    I'd be bummed.  I'd tell DH exactly what you have written above.  He can suck it up for 1 day.  If he's crabby about not having anyone to hang with, you can remind him he has a child that would love to spend time with him.
    This.  Also, he should probably get to know some of your family so he has someone to talk to.  I think it's odd that you are supposed to be cool hanging around his family but not the other way around. 
  • If he's going to be a b*tch about it all day while you're there, I would just go without him.  He won't be any fun anyway.  Next time his family gets together, or just next weekend, you get to take the day off and he can kid wrangle.
  • My DH is not a fan of my family and whenever we were with them he would have an attitude.  It really stressed me out.  I finally put my foot down a few months ago.  I told him that out of respect to me he needs to suck it up, put on a happy face and fake it when around my family.  Now, when my family is around my DH is pleasant and participates, the whole situation is a lot more enjoyable now.   So in my opinion I think your husband needs to man up, go to the function with you and not sulk.
  • imagesofamonkey:
    imageSLHurst11:
    I'd be bummed.  I'd tell DH exactly what you have written above.  He can suck it up for 1 day.  If he's crabby about not having anyone to hang with, you can remind him he has a child that would love to spend time with him.
    This.  Also, he should probably get to know some of your family so he has someone to talk to.  I think it's odd that you are supposed to be cool hanging around his family but not the other way around. 

This, and I think he's being an asss about it. Its once a year, suck it up and deal. Thats not too much to ask considering how often y'all spend time with his family and friends.

And if you want, throw in a couple of tears (I am not above manipulation as a last resort) and say how you don't feel that he likes your family and how its very clear that people who are important to you are not important to him, blah blah blah.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• Pretty sure that when he married you, he married your family so he needs to suck it up and get to know your family.  There will be many more 4th of July family parties so if he starts talking now, come next year he'll have someone to talk to!

THere have been many times where DH doesnt' want to hang with my family but I give him the evil eye (that involves a lot of huffing and puffing too) and he goes.  My DH gets along great with my family but they're just not as "cool" as his family.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here's the thing.  Aiden is very attached to my in laws.  I love that but for various reasons (one being that my mother is insane), he doesn't have much of a relationship with my parents.  I'm not crazy close with the people at this cookout but it's the one time a year we all come together and catch up.  I know DH thinks is completely superficial because we don't see each other the rest of the year and I get that.  But it's a tradition I've had my ENTIRE life.  I don't like the idea of Aiden growing up believing that when Daddy's family has a party, we all go.  When Mommy's family has a party, Daddy doesn't have to go.  One of my dad's cousins is married to a man who never ever attends our family functions and we all joke about what a complex it gives us.  It's weird and uncomfortable that someone can't stomach a group of fairly normal people for a few hours over a hot dog, kwim?

• imageSLHurst11:

This. My family is pretty awkward and not very easy to get along with. We usualyl don't stay long at family gatherings because I don't always feel that comfortable and neither does DH, but when he does start to feel weird, DH will usually just focus all his attention on DS rather than deal with my weird family haha

A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.
  • imageoverture:
    If he's going to be a b*tch about it all day while you're there, I would just go without him.  He won't be any fun anyway.  Next time his family gets together, or just next weekend, you get to take the day off and he can kid wrangle.

I'd say this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'd tell him that you feel it's important that he attend your function, and that you see his brother over the weekend.

And I can tell you my family would probably take it personally that DH didn't show up, but would be glad that I was the one with the kids. I would probably word it that his family had something going on too, so you spilt the invites. But I would really want DH to come with me.

• For a holiday, even a more of a low key one like the 4th, I feel family stuff should be the priority. If he still doesn't agree, make him be the one to take LO then and enjoy your kid-free day. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My H hardly ever goes to events for my family because he and mom don't really get along that well. I would never force him to be somewhere he doesn't want to be or where he feels uncomfortable. That being said, I remind him of that every time I go to a function with his family and that it's not helping my mom's level of respect for him at all.
    DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • I'd be p!ssed.  Since this is the only thing that you ask him to go to once a year, he needs to suck it up and go.  I'd also be irritated if my DH would rather spend a holiday at his brothers house rather than with me and our kids.
    imageimageimageimage
  • imageelmoali:

Here's the thing.  Aiden is very attached to my in laws.  I love that but for various reasons (one being that my mother is insane), he doesn't have much of a relationship with my parents.  I'm not crazy close with the people at this cookout but it's the one time a year we all come together and catch up.  I know DH thinks is completely superficial because we don't see each other the rest of the year and I get that.  But it's a tradition I've had my ENTIRE life.  I don't like the idea of Aiden growing up believing that when Daddy's family has a party, we all go.  When Mommy's family has a party, Daddy doesn't have to go.  One of my dad's cousins is married to a man who never ever attends our family functions and we all joke about what a complex it gives us.  It's weird and uncomfortable that someone can't stomach a group of fairly normal people for a few hours over a hot dog, kwim?

You need to talk to him about this stuff. You need to explain that it's the one time you expect him to participate.

If he wanted to do something else but would see your family the other 12 times of the year you get together, then I'd say let him go. But if this is absolutely the only thing you ask, then he needs to go. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imagembenit4:

I am really surprised at the number of people that are saying "make him go." I would never want someone to "make" me go where I am not comfortable. I mean, it is the 4th. Is it that serious?

OP doesn't even sound like she wants to go.

This is the crux of the issue.  I don't want to make him go.  But I'd rather he figure out that you don't ask to be excused from ONE family event a year so that I'm not put in the position of having to "permit" or "deny" his request, kwim? 

• I would say no way.  Seriously, you see so very little of your family.  Its one friggan day, he  can suck it up. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"