January 2013 Moms

Heart flutters

I woke up last night with a nervous feeling in my chest. Then I realized it felt like my heart was fluttering. Debated going to the ER but wound up not going. I'm still having them this morning. Seems like I notice them more when I'm laying down. Reading about it online it seems like this is common in pregnancy due to increased blood flow. Going to call my OB tomorrow. Just wondering if there are any nurses out there who can help me keep calm til tomorrow or if anyone else has/had this. Thanks.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Heart flutters

• I have it too, my doctor said it was a heart murmur. I've never had it before, but he said it's common in children and pregnant women. :)
  • Do you have any pain? 

Can you take your pulse?

If your pulse is still normal and you don't have any pain or feel like passing out I think you are fine waiting to call your doctor.  

My sister had sinus Tach (fast heartrate) but she only notices it when she is pregnant. She got a full cardiac workout but they couldn't find any reason.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAgshan08:

Do you have any pain? 

Can you take your pulse?

If your pulse is still normal and you don't have any pain or feel like passing out I think you are fine waiting to call your doctor.  

My sister had sinus Tach (fast heartrate) but she only notices it when she is pregnant. She got a full cardiac workout but they couldn't find any reason.  

No pain, pulse is regular. I don't feel like I'm going to pass out either. It's just a really weird feeling. And scary.  

• imagejessicabalthis:
    I have it too, my doctor said it was a heart murmur. I've never had it before, but he said it's common in children and pregnant women. :)

This, my dr said the same thing.  

Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • Heart palpitations do occur often during pregnancy, but definitely make your doctor aware. Don't get anxious, it will just make them worse. I get them as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  •   Sometimes I get that...i'll just be sitting down doing nothing and then all of a sudden my heart begins to race and I almost pass out..... so I quickly sit up straight and take a couple of really deep breaths to get oxegen and it goes away...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • https://www.livestrong.com/article/183623-what-causes-heart-palpitations-during-pregnancy/

It's pretty common in pregnancy due to increased blood volume & progesterone. 

• I would call the doctor and let him know. I had a heart murmur as a kid and it's back now that I'm pregnant. They did a full cardiological workup and decided it's essentially normal. If it had been a valve murmur they would give me an antibiotic before having dental work and before delivery because it makes you more susceptible to infection.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • This may sound silly but try a 10-minute meditation. I have cardiac issues as well and since I started meditating, my BP is down and my cardiac issues have been better. Definitely tell your OB at your appointment though. Good luck. If you want to try meditating, you can look up meditation timers on-line. The one I use is below.

https://www.treeleaf.org/2011/09/zazen-timers/

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers It's a boy!!!
  • imagephotogirlie821:

This may sound silly but try a 10-minute meditation. I have cardiac issues as well and since I started meditating, my BP is down and my cardiac issues have been better. Definitely tell your OB at your appointment though. Good luck. If you want to try meditating, you can look up meditation timers on-line. The one I use is below.

https://www.treeleaf.org/2011/09/zazen-timers/

Thanks I will try that! I'm going to call my OB first thing tomorrow. My family has pretty serious heart issues so I'm freaked out about that too. Thanks for all the answers everyone. Glad to know it's not just me! 

• I am pregnant with my 3rd and have gotton this with all 3.  My second and current pregnancies I have also had severe chest pain.  With my 2nd I went to the ER with it and it was nothing.  They monitored my heart for a while and said I had a high heart rate, my heart was also palpitating and skipping beats.  I have gotton chest pains on 2 seperate occasions already with this one... for up to 12 hours at a time, still didn't go to the ER.  I did some research and although everyone says to go to the ER if you experience this, I read so many stories about others experiencing this and having nothing wrong.  Doctors all attribute it to different things... higher blood volume, increasing hormones and the fact that your heart physically stretches and becomes larger when you're pregnant.  I decided I wouldn't rush to the ER this time and will just discuss it with my OB next appointment.  Now, you're just having flutters, and that is not a big concern.  That's actually how I knew I was pregnant both the 2nd and 3rd times.  When you get them you should drink water to hydrate and lie down, preferably on your left side.  Good luck!
    Reichley Mama
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"