Natural Birth

A natural, pain free childbirth...yes, pain free!!

When I tell people I had a completely natural, pain free delivery with my DD they look at me funny! I was skeptical at first too, but I am telling you I did!! This book is amazing and I highly recommend it! It is called "Supernatural Childbirth" by Jackie Mize. It is a Christian book, but anyone can apply the principles in it regardless of beliefs!  

DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: A natural, pain free childbirth...yes, pain free!!

• It is possible!  I did Hypnobirthing and had a very similar experience.  Glad you had such a positive birth!
  • I had a virtually pain free birth as well - I would say it was more uncomfortable than actually painful (aside from the episiotomy) and I did not read any natural child birth books, do hypnobirth classes or any other special thing aside from research on natural birth and the regular hospital labor and delivery class.  I'm convinced that having a "pain free" birth has much less to do with your preparation as it does with your body's natural ability to deal with it. I think I was just lucky.  I would add however, that being prepared and knowledgeable about birth in general helps ease a lot of the potential fears that can be associated with not knowing what to expect.   
    1st M/C-November 29/09@11w~~DS-Born December 17/10~~2nd M/C-January 11/12@8w2d BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • erb82erb82 member
    All you ladies who had pain-free births, I would love to hear your entire birth stories, and what the whole experience was like for you.  What sensations did you feel?  Were you uncomfortable at all?  If labor was long and intense but not painful, was it still exhausting?  I didn't have pain-free births, but it was nowhere near as painful as I expected.  
  • erb82erb82 member
    imageStarbuck128:

imageerb82:
    All you ladies who had pain-free births, I would love to hear your entire birth stories, and what the whole experience was like for you.  What sensations did you feel?  Were you uncomfortable at all?  If labor was long and intense but not painful, was it still exhausting?  I didn't have pain-free births, but it was nowhere near as painful as I expected.  

My labor was virtually pain-free, but I think when that term is tossed around people think it means labor was easy. My labor was also the hardest thing I have ever done, and I remember thinking repeatedly that this is what hell is like, and I wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy. I took Bradley classes and read a lot about the labor process. I think my experience, was part luck and part mental preparation. Going into labor, I had no fear, and was completely confident in my ability to handle it. DH confirms that not once did it ever seem like I was in great pain.

I had hard, consistent contractions for over 60 hours and no sleep for 48 hours before DS was born. I was extremely uncomfortable. Each contraction felt like all the muscles in my abdomen and lower back were tightening up as much as they could. If I focused and tried to relax my entire body before the peak of the contraction, it didn't hurt, but it was mentally exhausting. If I didn't relax, it felt like my body was flung into a brick wall, but probably less painful than that.

During the last 8 hours, my hips hurt a lot, and nothing I could do would diminish that pain. It was a achy, burning feeling, but the sensation got lost with everything else going on unless I concentrated on it. DS was born with his arms up around his head, which is why my labor kept stalling. I think my hips were widening an extra bit to make room. I had stretch marks all over them after delivery.

I made the mistake of telling my MIL labor wasn't painful. She seemed to think that meant it was a piece of cake. She came over hours later (we had a HB) and basically threw us a party. She wanted me in the kitchen making dinner. That's why I normally don't talk about the lack of pain. It seems to give people the impression I didn't do anything and a baby just slid out.

My first thought was pain-free=easy, but obviously that's not the case.  I think a lot of it is the way you approach it mentally (along with some luck).  After reading your description, I would say that my second birth was basically pain free until pushing.  But the pushing really hurt- I can't describe the ring of fire as anything but painful. 

• imageerb82:

My first contractions started around 8:30 am and were imediately 5 minutes apart. I called and let them know that labor had started and Id be in a little later since I wanted to labor for as long as I could at home. We got to the hospital a little after 1 pm where we were put into triage for all the regular questions and put on a monitor. The checked me somewhere around 1:35 and said I was 8 cm dilated, my bag was hanging out, and baby's head was high. My water broke a few minutes later and her head came down quick! I almost immediately could feel my body wanting to push. Around 1:45 they left me on the triage bed and began to wheel me down to the L&D room. They no sooner pushed the bed in the room andasked me to get up and move to the other bed. I told them I couldnt get up and seconds later her head was out. The room was in panic mode and they were rushing around to get a dr and the proper equipment. A random dr was in the room in 30 seconds, got what she needed on, and let me push the rest of her out. The warmer wasnt even on and nothing else was ready for her!! I delivered her at 1:53pm, just over 5 hours after my first contraction completely pain free. Pain free doesnt mean you dont feel anything, you still feel the contractions and pressure, but there is no pain. I wouldnt do it any other way!! It is definitely all about preparing yourself metally and getting rid of any fear you have. The fear is what causes the pain!!

DS #1 10/21/06 DD #2 04/11/10 DS #3 01/28/13 Edd #4 08/28/15 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageerb82:

If you want to PM me I can give you my whole birth story.  Basically contractions felt like an extreme tightening in my abdomen and towards the end I also felt pressure.  It was intense and required all my concentration, but not painful.  I think the only time I felt uncomfortable was the car ride (bumps were the worst) and the required 20 minutes of continuous monitoring in triage (they wanted me to lay in bed and that was hard).   The only part I would label as painful was the last three pushes, where I could feel that 'ring of fire' and when DD's shoulder got stuck and I tore.  But even then, I never felt out of control.

My labor was 17.5 hours from the first contraction I couldn't sleep through until DD was in my arms.  I didn't find labor to be exhausting, it was a lot of work don't get me wrong.  But there wasn't a point where I thought I couldn't go on or if my labor had been longer I know I could have kept going for quite some time like that.  I fact, I was fully dilated for 1.5+ hours but decided to 'labor down' because I just didn't want to waste energy pushing and I was too comfortable in the tub to get out.  I'm sure if my energy had been fading, I would have felt the need to start pushing earlier.    I think that was one of the benefits to Hypnobirthing.  I found that I spent most of my labor in a deep state of relaxation, so I didn't expend a lot of energy.  

• i had a pain free childbirth also on july 13th. went into labor that morning at around 2. had to be monitored. i did have the episiotomy but the doctor did it just so tissue wouldnt tear. i didnt read any books cause im only 14 (please dont judge) there has been many problems the last couple of years
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This may earn me a flaming, but I think in general, while you can prepare yourself to handle the pain (and yes, I call it pain, not pressure), a lot of this depends on the individual woman and labor.

My mom had 4 med-free labors and said her longest labor (with me) was less intense and less painful (looking) than my 15 hour labor with DD.  She's also a doula and says some women just seem to have less pain and intensity regardless of how well prepared they went into labor.

A lot also depends on when a woman's water breaks, how long prodromal labor is, and other factors.   

I didn't have a pain-free med-free birth, but I will absolutely be repeating it as the pain was worth it imo!

I'm glad you had a pain-free labor, but I don't think it's possible for every woman no matter how prepared you are.  IDK, maybe that's my downfall... 

ETA:  To clarify, I don't think pain-free labors are easy, but I just don't agree that every woman can have a pain-free delivery.  Obviously, every labor is hard work (hence the name!). 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLadyMadrid08:

This may earn me a flaming, but I think in general, while you can prepare yourself to handle the pain (and yes, I call it pain, not pressure), a lot of this depends on the individual woman and labor.

My mom had 4 med-free labors and said her longest labor (with me) was less intense and less painful (looking) than my 15 hour labor with DD.  She's also a doula and says some women just seem to have less pain and intensity regardless of how well prepared they went into labor.

A lot also depends on when a woman's water breaks, how long prodromal labor is, and other factors.   

I didn't have a pain-free med-free birth, but I will absolutely be repeating it as the pain was worth it imo!

I'm glad you had a pain-free labor, but I don't think it's possible for every woman no matter how prepared you are.  IDK, maybe that's my downfall... 

ETA:  To clarify, I don't think pain-free labors are easy, but I just don't agree that every woman can have a pain-free delivery.  Obviously, every labor is hard work (hence the name!). 

This is definitely true!  Everyone feels things differently and yes, even from labor to labor.  I used to nanny for a woman who was pregnant with twins.  At 39w she kind of felt not like herself all day and kept feeling pressure like she had to use the bathroom but couldn't.  Finally, after feeling like this all day the hospital said for her to come in just to be checked.  I was there right before she left for the hospital she was calm, talking, etc.  We get a call an hour and a half later.  Both twins had been born 45 min after arriving at the hospital!  Now this woman I am talking about does not get med-free births, I'm sure if it had been an option to have two epis going at the same time she would have done it.  But she went med-free with the twins because she really had very little choice, she had no clue she was in labor until it was almost time to push!  So you are 100% correct when you say everyone feels things differently.  Now I still think being prepared is a way to ensure a more comfortable birth, but not a guarantee of a pain-free birth.  

• I actually don't think the goal of a pain free birth should be pushed.

It makes failures of women that feel pain. And I don't think I failed at anything.

• I'm stalking from July 2012 board.. but I've also read this book, actually about to read it again! So excited to see someone experienced a wonderful Supernatural Childbirth!! I'd love to hear your entire birth story!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetokenhoser:

I actually don't think the goal of a pain free birth should be pushed.

It makes failures of women that feel pain. And I don't think I failed at anything.

Hmmm... replace "pain free birth" with "med free birth" and "feel pain" with "get an epi"... maybe tack on something about not getting a medal... and this turns into a very familiar statement Wink

In all seriousness, though. I agree, in a way. I don't think that the goal of a pain-free birth should be pushed. Nor do I think that the goal of a med-free birth should be pushed! My goal is not to have a med-free birth. My goal is to be well-educated on my options, and choose the ones that are right for me and my baby. As of right now, for me, that means homebirth. If, say, a c-section becomes the right option, I will not see that as a "failure." The only way I could "fail" would be if I stubbornly insisted on homebirth when a c-section was clearly the right option.

Similarly, my goal is not to have a pain-free birth, but to go into labor anticipating a positive and enjoyable experience. If that means I feel no pain, great. If I do feel pain, I will not see that as a "failure," because my goal was not to avoid pain but to avoid the anticipation of pain.

I do consider both of my births to be pain-free. I describe them very similarly to how the other posters already have. I like to share those experiences with others, not to make pain-free birth their goal or to make them feel like failures if they do/did feel pain, but to let them know that giving birth doesn't have to suck. I see so many women psych themselves out before they even feel the first contraction. I hope to counteract that. I always add the disclaimer that these were my experiences, and I have no way of knowing how another woman will experience labor... but at least I can show that giving birth doesn't suck for everyone. Because it doesn't suck for me.

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• imageerb82:

I would say the only pain I felt was the 'ring of fire' and that only lasted for a minute.  The rest of my labour was pretty easy (compared to what I hear/read).  Water broke at 7:30 a.m. then period-like cramps (contractions) started.  Nothing I couldn't handle.  I gave DD1 breakfast, chated with my dad and step-mom, finalised my hospital bag etc.  Drove to the hospital for 9:30 am.  Ate an egg sandwich and listened to the news with my DH and midwives.  Was pretty happy and laughing between contractions.  At about 11 a.m. they started ot get 'intense' so I had to breathe and focus a little.  I got in the tub at 11:30 and that helped.  Got out at 12 pm and got onto the bed and my body started pushing on its own.  Pushed 3 times and DD2 was out.

I would say my time in the tub (transition) was the most difficult and I asked for an epidural then (which my midwives completely ignored - lol) but I was getting 2-3 minutes between contractions so I was able to rest and prepare for the next one.  

The ring of fire was... umm... the most painful thing I have experienced.  But, I've never broken a bone or had surgery of any kind (I don't even have cavities) so I have no reference point for pain, kwim?  And, it was over in a minute.  

I didn't tear so no stitches.

I also didn't do any hypnobirthing classes or anything.  But, I did do tons of reading and I believed in my heart that I could do it.  That if millions of other women could do it, so could I.  And I had FANTASTIC midwives who encouraged me the whole way.  

But yeah, in retrospect, it was nowhere near as painful as I thought it was going to be and really, the only part of it that I would even describe as painful was the crowning.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
  • imageflyer23:
    imagetokenhoser:

I actually don't think the goal of a pain free birth should be pushed.

Hmmm... replace "pain free birth" with "med free birth" and "feel pain" with "get an epi"... maybe tack on something about not getting a medal... and this turns into a very familiar statement Wink

In all seriousness, though. I agree, in a way. I don't think that the goal of a pain-free birth should be pushed. Nor do I think that the goal of a med-free birth should be pushed! My goal is not to have a med-free birth. My goal is to be well-educated on my options, and choose the ones that are right for me and my baby. As of right now, for me, that means homebirth. If, say, a c-section becomes the right option, I will not see that as a "failure." The only way I could "fail" would be if I stubbornly insisted on homebirth when a c-section was clearly the right option.

Similarly, my goal is not to have a pain-free birth, but to go into labor anticipating a positive and enjoyable experience. If that means I feel no pain, great. If I do feel pain, I will not see that as a "failure," because my goal was not to avoid pain but to avoid the anticipation of pain.

I do consider both of my births to be pain-free. I describe them very similarly to how the other posters already have. I like to share those experiences with others, not to make pain-free birth their goal or to make them feel like failures if they do/did feel pain, but to let them know that giving birth doesn't have to suck. I see so many women psych themselves out before they even feel the first contraction. I hope to counteract that. I always add the disclaimer that these were my experiences, and I have no way of knowing how another woman will experience labor... but at least I can show that giving birth doesn't suck for everyone. Because it doesn't suck for me.

My birth was painful.

But it didn't suck.

This just comes across as another d!ck measuring contest. I'm totally content with my birth and don't need it to be better than anyone elses.

• imagetokenhoser:

My birth was painful.

But it didn't suck.

This just comes across as another d!ck measuring contest. I'm totally content with my birth and don't need it to be better than anyone elses.

Huh? A d!ck measuring contest? All I see in this post are women sharing our birth experiences. I don't know what you want us to do, lie about how we felt? 

I never said that painful births suck. I said that I like to discuss my birth experiences to show people that birth doesn't suck, at least not for everyone. I'm guessing you do the same, no? Or do you lie and say that your birth did suck, just so that you don't make anyone who had a sucky birth feel like a failure?

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• The OP clearly implied that a pain free birth is attainable and desirable for most women. All I need to do is read a book!

I disagree. That's all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"