Breastfeeding

Pumping question

Ok I'm sort of at a lost because this didn't happen with my first LO. I made the decision to stop breastfeeding because I LO wasn't latching on and getting enough from me and became very dehydrated. Then my boobs starting to swell, hurt, and leak so I was going to try to pump. To my surprised I got alot of colostrum, I thought maybe I could pump and give him what I get in addition with the formula.

Like I said this didn't happen last time so I'm at a lost for how much should I pump? So far I only pump when I feel swollen and all that I seem to be getting is about 3oz of colostrum from both brest. It's been about 6 days so I think my milk should have came in but it's not. Is it because I'm not pumping enough?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumping question

• To build a supply to fully replace breastmilk, you should pump a minimum of 7 times per day, for a minimum of 15 minutes per session (8-10 times per day is even better).  Are you sure that what you are getting is colostrum and not milk?  3 oz sounds like a lot of colostrum. 

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Your first mature milk is yellowy in color. I doubt its colostrum as well. Here's a pic. Both are milk not colostrum. Do you still think its colostrum?

week1 on left and week 3 on right

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ms5586Ms5586 member

imageeasjer05:
    To build a supply to fully replace breastmilk, you should pump a minimum of 7 times per day, for a minimum of 15 minutes per session (8-10 times per day is even better).  Are you sure that what you are getting is colostrum and not milk?  3 oz sounds like a lot of colostrum. 

This, exactly.  Exclusively pumping is very doable.  It's kind of double the work, but you can't argue with the fact that you're still giving your baby breastmilk.  I agree with PP, that if you're getting 3 oz total, it's probably milk. 

I started out pumping every 2-3 hours, for 10 minutes (it's all I could handle, my nips would start to hurt), then I worked up to 12 minutes, then 15. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ok I guess it is my milk. It is yellow in which I assumed it was the colostrum. Thanks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"