October 2012 Moms

Baby Shower Questions

So my mom is "technically" hosting my baby shower, however, I am putting a lot of input and money into it. She doesn't really have the money or the time to plan it fully, so I am happy to lend my help (I love party planning!) Is it bad to be a part of putting the shower together?

Second question, how many people is a good amount of women to have at a shower? 

Re: Baby Shower Questions

• Is it bad to be a part of putting the shower together?

I think this depends. What are you spending money on? Food? Invites? Could you just host an open house after the baby is born instead? And why are you such a large part of the process?

Second question, how many people is a good amount of women to have at a shower?

10 - 15 I would say.

Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Before asking questions, you should introduce yourself. How far along are you? As far as the number of guests, that is different for every shower. It usually depends on the location and the host/finances.

• Loading the player...
  • Is it bad to be a part of putting the shower together? If the 'host' asks for help, then no. My mom and best friend are hosting my shower, and I'm involved b/c they are asking for my opinion. My mom is paying for the main dish to be delivered, and a few of my family members, including me, have offered to help make side dishes.

I guess I would be putting 'money' into the shower too, b/c I'll be making a pasta salad and I'll buy all the ingredients for the salad. If I'm out and about and see something I like, like a decoration or something, I see nothing wrong with picking it up on my own expense, but again, both of my hosts have asked for my opinion and have appreciated my help. I wouldn't do a thing if it wasn't asked/discussed in advance, as sometimes hosts like to handle the entire party themselves.

Second question, how many people is a good amount of women to have at a shower?  This depends on a variety of things. Location, budget, etc. I've been to house showers that had way too many guests- over 50. Way too crowded  I've been to restaurant showers with 8 women for an informal 'lunch'. 

If it matters... My shower is at my mom's house, 30 people are on guest list, and as I previously said, she's just going to order the main dish from a local restaurant, and a few close family members will make side dishes. This will help cut down on cost as well. But, keep in mind, these family members have offered. If they didn't offer, my mom would have ordered more food from the restaurant and then that would obviously mean a pricier shower expense.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would say that it's fine, as long as at the actual party you aren't the hostess.  Your mom needs to be the one in charge for sure.  It would really come off as you just being greedy or whatever if everyone saw you throwing yourself a gift giving party.

The amount of women at the shower is totally up to you. Where are you having it?  Is it in a small house?  A church?  Outdoors?  I have been to showers with as many as 40ish people, and as few as 10.  If the size of the location isn't an issue, as well as money for food and whatnot, then I would invite whoever the heck you want :-)  Just be sure you aren't inviting people just to add another present... think, "would I think it was weird to be invited to their shower?" when deciding whether or not to invite someone.

Hope this helps.  GL 

DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • Sorry to not introduce myself.

My name is Jodi, I am 25 weeks along with my first, and my husband and I are not finding out the gender of the baby. 

• I don't think it is bad to help your mom out as long as she is the real host of the shower.

As far as the amount of people goes that really depends on your family size I think. My husband and I have HUGE families. So we have to invite our aunts and stuff which means 70 people. That doesn't include any second cousins or anything crazy like that. Of that 70 though we are thinking about 40-50 will come. Which is still A LOT but not much I can do about it. Just what happens when you have massive families I guess. 

Oct Angel Babies
  • imageJkancharla:

Sorry to not introduce myself.

My name is Jodi, I am 25 weeks along with my first, and my husband and I are not finding out the gender of the baby. 

Welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"