Baby Names

Charles Xavier

How obviously nerdy is this name? I love it, but I don't know if I can do it...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies

Re: Charles Xavier

• If there's an association, I'm not coming up with it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • ZimgerZimger member

My DH named his first son Xavier after the character Charles Xavier. He is a more seasoned namer now...most of the time.

FWIW I like Xavier.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • ZimgerZimger member
    imagebrookelynpaisley:

If there's an association, I'm not coming up with it.

Charles Xavier is a character from X-Men...one of the main characters.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagebrookelynpaisley:

Professor X from X-Men

imageNerdHerder29:

Eh... that depends how often you're going to use the full name. I wouldn't do it because it screams X-Men to me. Be honest; do you like it for the name itself or for the comic book connection?  If you honestly like the name, then go for it... but, I'm not going to lie, it is definitely nerdy.

Our Adoption Blog & Fundraising Efforts

Heading to China in November 2014 to bring our son home!

• imageZimger:
    imagebrookelynpaisley:

Charles Xavier is a character from X-Men...one of the main characters.

Ah! Okay, then yes, I think it would be an obvious nerdy name.

And I'm going to go back under my rock now.

P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • imageellekae:
    imagebrookelynpaisley:

Professor X from X-Men

imageNerdHerder29:

Eh... that depends how often you're going to use the full name. I wouldn't do it because it screams X-Men to me. Be honest; do you like it for the name itself or for the comic book connection?  If you honestly like the name, then go for it... but, I'm not going to lie, it is definitely nerdy.

I like it for both. DH and I are pretty nerdy people, so I know all of our friends would get it right away. I was just curious how obviously nerdy it was to the non-nerdy general population, lol.

Oh well. I guess that will have to remain a guilty pleasure name :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • Semi-geek here. I got the association right away. I like the name Xavier, but Charles is a bit "old" for my taste.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • love love love
  • Too obvious a reference to me. It's nerdy, but not obscure because the X Men movies were all huge blockbusters. I agree, I love the name, but I personally wouldn't use it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• My son is Charles, middle name is not Xavier. 

My friends were nerdy enough that most of them still referred to him as "Professor" when he was very young. 

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
  • imageMoneypenny424:
    Too obvious a reference to me. It's nerdy, but not obscure because the X Men movies were all huge blockbusters. I agree, I love the name, but I personally wouldn't use it. 

This. Love it, but definitely too obvious. You'd never hear the end of "Oh, you mean like in X-Men?"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegracefulruby33:

Semi-geek here. I got the association right away. I like the name Xavier, but Charles is a bit "old" for my taste.

This.  What would you call the child on a day to day basis?  Charles? Charlie? If you like those, then that's great, you like the whole package, but if you just like it as Charles Xavier, that's a bit of a stretch, since people aren't going to be calling him that regularly.

Anniversary DS was born 11/30/12... so in love :)
  • FinkFink member

I am a total comic book movie geek and while it sounded familiar, for some reason, I didn't get it immediately.  I'm so disappointed in myself. :-(

Anyway, it might be a bit too nerdy. Sorry.  But I do love the name Xavier!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't mind the names separately, but the s at the end of Charles becomes clunky with the X in Xavier when you say them together.  Other than that, it's a good, strong name.
  • I grew up with all sisters and know very, very little about x-men... but even I got this reference. I would avoid it if possible.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC#1!
    12/1999: Dx with Endometriosis (age 12)
    5/2001: Ruptured appendix, massive scar tissue
    6/2005:Dx with Interstitial Cystitis
    9/2005: Gall bladder removed due to problems from cysts
    7/2006: Officially Dx with Fibromyalgia (age 18)
    2/2010: Partial left ovarian torsion

10/2012: SA = Low Motility
    11/2012: Surgery #5 to remove scar tissue & paratubal cyst
    HSG: Right tube blocked; unable to clear
  • I normally don't like these types of name associations, but I have to say that this is one exception. I love it! Charles is on our short list (my recently deceased grandfather's name), and when I just mentioned this combo to my DH he high-fived me.
    imageimage
  • I don't see what is nerdy about it... I adore this combo.

ETA: okay, I just read the other responses.  I never in a million years would have made this connection.  To me it screams Catholic not comic book.  I'll let you decided whether that's positive or not.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Very obviously nerdy. 

Xavier is on our short list and DH said he would call him professor X. Charles Xavier is too much. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love it and would totally do it b/c how often are you really going to use the mn, right?
    Then again, I am a HUGE Marvel Comics fangirl, lol.
    TTCAL PitaPata Cat tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • its nerdy as all heck - I love it!!!
    Due on July 12, 2012!!! BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"