C-sections

How soon after c/s did you get skin to skin/BF time?

With DS, I didn't get to hold and breast feed him until I was in a recovery room. It was close to an hour inbetween, and it felt like such a long time. Were any of you able to hold baby and/or breast feed in the OR, or did you have to wait until you were in recovery?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: How soon after c/s did you get skin to skin/BF time?

• After I was stitched up I was immediately handed my baby in the OR. We stayed connected for the next few hours. I had no issues with skin-to-skin/breastfeeding right away, and I had an emergency c/s. I did pass him to my husband for about a half hour because Iwas shaking badly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Mine was about an hour after delivery when I was in recovery.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • At least an hour, all 3 times and I've never had any issues BFing.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • 3 hours. I hate that stupid hospital
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I immediately got skin to skin time with both of my daughters after they were born. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • With ds1 it was 30 minutes and ds2 it was 45 minutes due to scar tissue. It will a little longer this time only b/c I'm getting my tubes tied during my c/s.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • About an hour, because I was shaking so badly from the medicine. Otherwise, it would've been as soon as I was in the recovery room, probably about 30 mins.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • imagesbuxsweetie:
    With DS, I didn't get to hold and breast feed him until I was in a recovery room. It was close to an hour inbetween, and it felt like such a long time. Were any of you able to hold baby and/or breast feed in the OR, or did you have to wait until you were in recovery?

45 minutes to an hour.  The nurse kept telling me I had to wait until I could move my legs & be taken to my room.  I was pushing to see her.  Dh went with the baby and I went to recovery.  I actually beat them up to our maternity room.  I was such a PITA about seeing her I think the recovery nurse just wanted me off her station.

It did feel like forever.

• I did in the OR! I had a MW who brought her to me right away.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• About 45 mins-an hour after I got to recovery but he was next to me with hubby in the OR after they cleaned him up and checked him out.  I was so busy watching them get to know each other that the time flew by. Once I got to recovery he was handed over for skin to skin and feeding.
  • ZimgerZimger member
    I was able to hold him while they stitched me up. After that they gave him to my DH and they were taken to our room while I went to recovery. I was there for a little over an hour.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Both times it took about an hour to get closed up and my girls were waiting for me in recovery.  After DH and the baby left the OR, I took the opportunity to snooze a little while they stitched me up and they woke me up when they were taking me to my baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Close to an hour - but for me, it flew by.  I was able to keep her right by my head and my husband held her the whole time that they were stitching me up.  As soon as we were in the recovery room, she was all mine!
  • As soon as my OB finished stitching me up she had the nurses wheel me into recovery. I was doing skin-to-skin and BFing about 15 minutes after LO was born.

• I was able to hold DD a few minutes after she came out...breastfed when I got to recovery room.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Our hospital gives baby to your H/support person for skin to skin immediately after the CS while you're being stitched up.  As soon as you're done in the OR, you're taken to recovery with H and baby for at least 2 hours of skin to skin and BFing.
  • Probably about 3hrs but I forget exactly. The actualy surgery took almost 2hrs and then as soon as I went into my room (there was no recovery unless you were sedated so you recovered in your regular room) and was coherent and sitting up a little they brought him in. I nursed almost right away since we had been apart for so long and he did ok. The tough part I think for us was he was sleepy from all my pain meds so he was hard to wake up. I'm hoping my c/s goes better next time around so I don't need meds for as long. I was down to 800mg Motrin when I went home.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DH held her right up to me for a minute in the OR, then the NICU staff had to check her out. We got BF/skin to skin time in recovery, approx 45 min later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagekes77:
    I immediately got skin to skin time with both of my daughters after they were born. 

This. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Visit The Nest!
  • I did not hold my baby until recovery- probably 30 minutes BUT my husband did skin to skin immediately in the OR. He wore a large pair of scrubs and literally put lo down his shirt. It was wonderful. 

It was such an amazing experience for him and my son. I highly suggest you ask your doctor if they would allow it.  

• I don't know how long I was still asleep from my c/s, after she was out, they knocked me out. When I woke up, they brought her in after a few minutes and I got to hold her. I didn't BF until recovery room like an hour later.
  • They took DS to get warmed up while I was getting stitched up (I was having some pain during my C/S so they gave me morphine, I couldn't even focus my eyes let alone breast feed at that point). But it only took about ten minutes to get me into recovery and start breast feeding. 
  • I immediately got skin-to-skin with LO after the surgery.

LO got rolled out of the OR together with me. 

• imagepepomntpat:
    3 hours. I hate that stupid hospital

This.  I cried and cried.  It was awful. 

• Almost 4 hours.  DH and I were pissed.  I was in recovery forever waiting for something from pharmacy, which was delayed, and DD was taken to the NICU to get tested for sepsis.  Even after I got out of recovery and wheeled into a room, they wouldn't bring her.  DH asked several times and they told him they were waiting on the results of her blood test and if it was positive they would have to take her back.  He had to (rather forcefully) tell them to bring her anyway and if she needed to go back to NICU she could.  It turns out that nothing was wrong with her, but I still blame the delay and the fact that they gave her a paci against my wishes for her never being able to latch or show any interest in breastfeeding. 
    Due 12/20/11 ~ Lost our Muskrat at 9w2d
    4/25/12 ~ Our angel, Persephone James, is here!

• After I got stitched and moved into recovery, I was united with DS immediately- maybe 15 minutes after birth or so? He was being cleaned with DH present in the recovery room. He began BFing almost immediately once I got him in my arms. 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • DH was able to hold him in the OR, I didn't get skin 2 skin until the recovery room, which was about a half hour later. I too was shaking a lot in the OR, I couldn't stop.

• 4+ hours for me.  It sucked and I'm still so sad about it.  I will be delivering this baby at a different hospital and I plan on asking to have baby either stay with me or come to me in recovery asap.
  • imagekatmacwv:
    Mine was about an hour after delivery when I was in recovery.

This. We also had no BF issues. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • As soon as they finished doing his vitals cleaning him up they handed him to my husband, and then when they finished stitching me up and sat me up more in the bed they gave him to me and took me to recovery where i was able to BF. My sense of time is really warped because I was so drugged up, tired, and delirious but I would say 15 minutes he was given to me? The hospital I delivered at requires the mama and baby to be together at all times unless the baby is in the NICU for some reason, so when they wheeled me to and from recovery, to my room, etc my husband was not allowed to hold LO only I could.
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • i only got to touch her briefly with one hand in the or. I then went to recouvery for 2 hours and she still took another hour to come off oxygen.
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • About 20 mins all 3 times.  They did what they needed to do to baby in the OR while the OBs were stitching me up.  Each time baby was handed to me for transport.  The first two times, I recovered in my room with baby and nurse.  The third time we were in recovery together for an hour before they moved me to my room.  All 3 times, we attempted to BF the second I was in my room/recovery.  No problems BFing. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • akayfakayf member
    Didn't get to hold him until the next day(he was born at 9:25 PM) since he had to go right to the special care nursery(born not breathing and needed to be bagged...plus he had a fever).   I didn't get to try BFing him until he was 2 days old since he had to be on IV nutrition until then.    He also wasn't allowed to leave the nursery until he was 2 days old.
  • about 6 hrs.

I was fine. Baby was fine. But it was early sunday morning and the consultant didnt start her shift till the afternoon so we had to wait till she had checked him over before I cld hold him.

It makes me soo angry looking back on it. But I was a FTM in a foreign country and didnt know how to fight my corner. It all went downhill from there and bubba didnt get any milk from me as my supply hadnt come in, and the nurses didnt feed him either. He went 4 days with nothing Crying

• I asked this question before my c-section and felt like I got the run around. I had to wait until I was in recovery because honestly I was SOOOOO out of it. I wanted to hold her, but I just couldn't. It was the only bad/sad part of the day. About 1.5 hours.
  • Immediately within 10 minutes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"