August 2012 Moms
Options

Dress me for my baby shower.

I have no idea what to wear.  I feel huge and just want to be comfortable all the time, so I don't dress up a lot.  Should I wear a skirt or a dress?  There are no cute maternity dresses that will fit me (plus size).  Should I do a maxi with a cardi?  I am not fashion forward.  I'm going shopping with my bff next week and she's going to help but I'd like to know what to look for.  And I want to incorporate pink, but not have the whole outfit pink. 

Halp!

Re: Dress me for my baby shower.

• Options
    I'm a huge fan of a good maxi. They are super comfortable, flattering, and can be dressed up/down however you like. You could add small accents of pink, like a cool brooch or fun earrings.

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Options
    At this point, I am all about summer dresses. I usually wear them a lot in the summer anyway for events, but now that I am much bigger and pregnant, I am planning on wearing a dress to both of my showers...and flip flops. Big Smile Wear what is comfortable to you!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've never worn a maxi dress before (told you I'm not fashion forward!) but have worn a maxi skirt.  Are the dresses really flattering?  I'm a size 18-20 pre-pregnancy, will it still be flattering?  And I'm def wearing flip flops because those are the only kind of shoes that fit my swollen feet right now!

• Options

imagepoppyseed1017:
    I've never worn a maxi dress before (told you I'm not fashion forward!) but have worn a maxi skirt.  Are the dresses really flattering?  I'm a size 18-20 pre-pregnancy, will it still be flattering?  And I'm def wearing flip flops because those are the only kind of shoes that fit my swollen feet right now!

I think the great thing about a maxi is that it's flattering on any body type!  I understand the swollen feet, but I'd opt for a cute sandal rather than a flip flop :)  

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagepoppyseed1017:

I think both the dress or the skirt would be cute and if you are worried about looking large . . . don't!!!      But if you are go with something darker and you can always use pops of pink jewelry and accessories to give it some flair!  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imagepoppyseed1017:

I personally would go for the maxi skirt instead of the dress.  I have both and have worn both during this pregnancy and I always feel cuter/smaller in the skirt.  I look at other pregnant women in maxi dresses and think they are so adorable and cute and I always have high hopes that I will look the same, but whenever I actually put a dress on I end up changing to a skirt instead.  I feel like the skirt gives my bump more definition where the dress just hangs off my bump and makes me look bigger all over even though the dresses I have are fitted at the top. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageDanandBrit:

imagepoppyseed1017:

I personally would go for the maxi skirt instead of the dress.  I have both and have worn both during this pregnancy and I always feel cuter/smaller in the skirt.  I look at other pregnant women in maxi dresses and think they are so adorable and cute and I always have high hopes that I will look the same, but whenever I actually put a dress on I end up changing to a skirt instead.  I feel like the skirt gives my bump more definition where the dress just hangs off my bump and makes me look bigger all over even though the dresses I have are fitted at the top. 

I have that problem with some of my dresses.  I've found that pinning the inside of the dress to accentuate the bump makes some of them look much cuter and less tent like.  It doesn't work with all fabrics though.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I'm plus size too, so I hear you!  I'm 18/20 pre-pregnancy, but I love fashion!  I got my shower dress at Lane Bryant.  It's a strapless white empire sundress and I got a short sleeve teal knit bolero to go over it.  I can't rock a strapless bra at this point so I plan on wearing a regular bra and go some fashion tape to help me "arrange" the bolero so my straps don't show, LOL!  I love the dress, but I wish it was a maxi, they are so much more comfortable and I wouldn't have to worry about my legs showing!

Maxi's are great, even on plus size gals, and super comfy too!  Anything with an empire waist (waist is just below the bust) will leave you plenty of room for the bump!  It doesn't have to be maternity either.  If you've got them near you, try Lane Bryant, Avenue, Macy's, Fashion Bug, Maurice's, Torrid, JC Penny, and The Gap.  If all else fails, I love my kimono dresses from Target...they aren't Maxi dresses, but I wear them with a cami and leggings. They aren't plus size, but the XXL fits me just fine, and they'll be great post partum for nursing too!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

As a fellow plus-size-mama-to-be, I'd like to recommend to you... MATERNITY SPANX!!!! They are amazing and give you that adorable pregnant body you may be craving.  I would go with that and a long sundress (i need them to be long to hide my obscenely swollen ankles!!).  I have a few really cute ones from Kohl's.  They don't have a really great maternity section, but they do have workable dresses in the regular section, and they might still fit after the baby comes! 

I'm sorry to say that they are not cheap, but they WORK! And they pose no risk to baby! https://www.spanx.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3026777&amp;cp=3026742&amp;camp=kw=bBsZ1R1t3|pcrid|{AdId}|maternity spanx

GOOD LUCK!! 

• Options
    imageDanandBrit:

imagepoppyseed1017:

I usually solve this problem with a belt above the bump/under the bewbs - it helps to accentuate the bump more.

Poppy - how do you feel about this dress from Target? (sorry I can't PIP, I'm on Chrome) it's cinched at the waist, so it should provide some definition to the bump, and it comes in larger sizes, too. and bonus, it might be long enough to cover swollen feet! :)

https://www.target.com/p/liz-lange-for-target-maternity-sleeveless-v-neck-maxi-dress-sunburst-purple/-/A-13979362 

TTC since October 2010 | BFP 12/29/11 | RRQ BORN 08/26/12
    planned | married | blogged
  • Options
    imageMandeeFoFandee:
    imageDanandBrit:

imagepoppyseed1017:

I usually solve this problem with a belt above the bump/under the bewbs - it helps to accentuate the bump more.

Poppy - how do you feel about this dress from Target? (sorry I can't PIP, I'm on Chrome) it's cinched at the waist, so it should provide some definition to the bump, and it comes in larger sizes, too. and bonus, it might be long enough to cover swollen feet! :)

https://www.target.com/p/liz-lange-for-target-maternity-sleeveless-v-neck-maxi-dress-sunburst-purple/-/A-13979362 

I do like that!  I never think about Target because the maternity section at our Target here is like 2 racks.  I still have enough time to order something though so I'll put it on my list!

Thanks for the advice guys!  It's hard (for me) to feel cute in anything right now but I want to look cute for my day.

• Options

Im plus size too - around an 18 pre-pregnancy and short to boot! I wore a maxi dress at my shower a couple weekends ago *see below*

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It wasnt tent like and I got A LOT of compliments on it - I got it in an XL at Target (I believe it goes up to a XXL) in the maternity section there. It was extremely comfortable! It has crisscross  straps in the back but I wore a a regular bra and the crop sweater covered up the straps.

It took me WEEKS to find this one and now Im trying to find another one for my second shower with DH's family and Im having the same issues as before Sad If you cant find anything you like in maternity - like PP said (almost) anything with an empire waist should work - I have found some awesome deals on t-shirts and shorts/capris with elastic waistbands in the plus size section so its always worth a look.

GL!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    imagepoppyseed1017:
    imageMandeeFoFandee:
    imageDanandBrit:

imagepoppyseed1017:

I do like that!  I never think about Target because the maternity section at our Target here is like 2 racks.  I still have enough time to order something though so I'll put it on my list!

Thanks for the advice guys!  It's hard (for me) to feel cute in anything right now but I want to look cute for my day.

I have this dress and I love!! I think you would love it too. I am short so it came all the way to floor and I wear flip flops with it. I also have a coupld cute maxi dresses from Old Navy that are pretty cute! Also for me a I have 2 large ladies that sit on my bump and the desses seem to tone them down with a cardi.

• Options
    imageDanandBrit:

imagepoppyseed1017:

I was going to say this also!  The maxi skirt would look cuter and more flattering.  The maxi dress will not cling around the belly like the skirt will.  The maxi skirt with a cute colorful top.  Leave the cardi, its too hot! 

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

• Options
    I must be the only lady on TB that doesn't like maxi dresses. I look like a tank in them. I find them to be sooo not flattering. I prefer jean or white capri's and a fitted maternity top that flatters my bump
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Scarlet Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemindymaske:
    I must be the only lady on TB that doesn't like maxi dresses. I look like a tank in them. I find them to be sooo not flattering. I prefer jean or white capri's and a fitted maternity top that flatters my bump
    i'm short and i've never been able to wear the maxi dress style.  Makes me look dumpy.  I do skirt/shirt combos.  I have a couple of summer dresses, all empire waisted.  as my shower is mid july, i'll probably be doing a skirt/blouse or shirt just to keep cool. 
    10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • Options
    A good maxi dress looks good on any body!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagepoppyseed1017:

I'm the same size and I got an XL from Old Navy, dresses that came to my knees. I love them. They don't cover my legs so I don't look tented or moo-moo/esk. I love them, comfortable, and cool! And I've gotten a lot of compliments on them, as well. I had to shorten the straps by cutting them a little and re-sewing them on (I don't know if you're that confident in yourself to do that, some aren't...) but the straps are perfect now, and they don't slip off or show my bra. I actually just ordered another one for a bridal shower I have to go to in two weeks and a wedding next weekend. 

image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I second Target. Like OP said, they go up to XXL and they have some really cute empire waist, short or 3/4 sleeve dresses (eliminates the need for cardigan or jacket) that cinch above the bump.  I have 4 of them and still haven't decided which one to wear to my shower next week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"