February 2012 Moms

Working Moms Check-in

Hi Ladies!

Sorry for the delay in getting this post going.

Similiar to the SAHM check-in I thought it would be good to start with some general questions so we can get to know one another a little better. Also if you are not on the Working Moms blog thread and want to be added, let me know.

So here we go:

What is your profession/field of work?

Are you FT, PT or something else?

What age was your LO when you returned to work?

Who watches LO when you are at work?

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? 

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work?

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM?

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? 

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in?

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks again ladies for participating. I will post a summary on the blog this weekend once I hear from the bulk of you.

Have a great night! 

Re: Working Moms Check-in

• imageTbh22012:

Hi Ladies!

Similiar to the SAHM check-in I thought it would be good to start with some general questions so we can get to know one another a little better. Also if you are not on the Working Moms blog thread and want to be added, let me know.

So here we go:

What is your profession/field of work? Client services/BD for a construction management/development firm

Are you FT, PT or something else? FT

What age was your LO when you returned to work? 8 weeks

Who watches LO when you are at work? Full time daycare center

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  BF and it has not been easy. I work in a small office and decided to not pump in the office and instead go to a municipal lot to pump two times a day. I also commute an hour each way so I have mastered pumping and driving (one side at a time)

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? Yes definitely. I get home around 630pm, feed DD, eat dinner ourselves (typically take out at this point), DH heads up with DD for her tubby by 830pm at that same time I am cleaning bottles and prepping her bag for the next day. I then head upstairs by 9pm to pump while DH feeds a bottle to DD...they fall asleep and I get to visit the bump for a little me time.

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? Still figuring this out. DH and I share DC pick up and drop off depending on our schedules...with DD I have set an alarm on my phone to make sure I don't forget to leave the office on time. Pre baby I worked long hours and get home around 9...not possible now, nor do I want to do that. My only tip is that my alarm has saved me from getting lost in my work, which can happen. And with DD here, I don't want my work to take up time I can spend with her, so when it goes off, I start shutting down.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? I wish I could be a SAHM but I don't have the patience...I need a jammed pack schedule and lots of adult interaction to keep me going...I got bored during my leave and couldn't imagine doing that full time, it is not easy.

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do?  I wish! I used my paid time off for my leave so I don't have any left for this year. I will probably take a day or two between now and the end of the year to keep me sane, but that is it.

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in? 

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks again ladies for participating. I will post a summary on the blog this weekend once I hear from the bulk of you.

Have a great night! 

• I vote for fewer questions at a time bc I only get to bump from my phone and it's hard to scroll back and forth. :). Also, no flaming for grammar eyc bc my phone isn't also friendly about letting me fix things. 

Im an accountant and I work FT. I went back when DD was 3 months and she is still EBF. Pumping is more annoying than anything. I have good production but it did take a couple of weeks to figure out the right amount of time and suction for me. 

She is in daycare 2 days a weeks and family watches her the other 3 until a FT spot opens at the DC. Routine is try to hold DD off from nursing til I get her bottle washed and her bag packed then she nurses like mad until she's asleep and I put her in bed. I miss getting to pick my own bedtime and having an evening glass of wine (since she doesn't come off the boob it's hard to get a glass in). 

Balancing work and I home I need tips!  I don't feel like I'm doing a good job with it.  Given the choice id probably do part time work. I genuinely feel like its good for DD to have consistent exposure to people outside if family but I miss her like mad.

I didn't use any vacation for my maternity leave so i have a few weeks but will probably jury spend them at home chilling out.  

• Loading the player...
  • What is your profession/field of work? I work at a software development company

Are you FT, PT or something else? PT (M-Th) until August 6, when I return to full time. 

What age was your LO when you returned to work? 12 weeks

Who watches LO when you are at work? DH

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  I BF, pump while I'm at work. Actually it's working out well. I pump 1-5 oz more than dd eats every day, so that's extra calories burned, right?

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? I put the milk in the fridge, change, then grab LO from DH. I wish I had more time to quilt/ craft in the evenings, but oh we'll. 

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? I just make sure to leave work at work. I actually do enjoy the time away from home. 

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? Ideally I would work from home. Have someone to help with dd and something to keep busy and make money. 

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? Nowhere fancy, just to visit our folks a few times. 

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions. Finding time to work out, career advancement, discrimination in the workplace against mothers, favorite part of your job, what do you bring for lunch, quick healthy meal ideas for dinner.... I've got lots of ideas apparently. 

**if you don't mind, I'd prefer not to be on the blog 

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • What is your profession/field of work?  Business tax assessor for state government

Are you FT, PT or something else?  Full-time

What age was your LO when you returned to work?  DD was 2 months when I went back

Who watches LO when you are at work?   One day a week she is with my mom and the rest of the week she is with MIL

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  FF

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss?  Our evening is something like this.  Get home, entertain DD while making dinner, eat, clean up, play with DD for a while, feed her, put her to bed, watch a little tv and get ready for the next day.

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work?  I don't stress about the housework.  What gets done gets done and what doesn't doesn't.  The only things I make sure get done are laundry and bottle washing.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM?  If I had the chance, I think I would be a SAHM until DD goes to school.  Then I would go back at least part time.

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do?  We're going to Outer Banks, NC for a week in July with DH's family.  In September we are going to Topsail Island, NC with my mom and sister.

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions.  Wednesday is good for me!  Thanks for doing this!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry for the format above, bumping from my iPad with a sleeping baby in my arms. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • What is your profession/field of work? I'm a graphic designer who designs scrapbooking products

Are you FT, PT or something else? FT but I work from home and set my own hours

What age was your LO when you returned to work? I never REALLY took a maternity leave.  I slowed down a bit for about a month, but I never had a stretch where I wasn't doing any work at all.

Who watches LO when you are at work? This is tricky.  DH is retired from the military and a FT student, so he's here to help while I work.  Mostly though, I have to balance work around her sleep time.  It's not easy.

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work? I was ebf for a while, but the stress of trying to feed her round the clock while working from home was too much.  Now I ff mostly while still bf a couple of times a day.  We're a LOT happier now.   

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss?  N/A

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? Right now I'm not balancing well at all.  I put a LOT of pressure on myself with my work, so there are weeks I work well over 40 hrs.  My house isn't disgusting, but it's definitely "lived in."  I'm doing good to have dishes and laundry done and the floor swept every now and then.  LOL

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? I was a SAHM with my oldest (who is 14 now).  I loved it.  I'd do it again, but I really really really love my job.  In a perfect world, I'd be able to do my job PT and just sorta work when I want to.  I have the flexibility to do that now, but I can't financially.

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? We may travel to visit family this fall for a week or so.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTbh22012:

Hi Ladies!

So here we go:

What is your profession/field of work?    Special Education Teacher 

Are you FT, PT or something else?    FT until Friday...then Summer break!

What age was your LO when you returned to work?    12 weeks

Who watches LO when you are at work?    My mom

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?    BF and FF...I had a breast reduction 7 years ago, so I don't have enough ducts working properly to EBF. I make enough for DS to get 1 bottle of breast milk at my mom's each day (he has 3 bottles total). It makes me sad that I can't give him more, but I know the reduction was necessary.

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss?     Unpack dirty clothes/bottles from diaper bag while DS hangs with Daddy, feed DS/nap time for him (about 30 min), play /read a book, dinner, feed cereal, bath, nurse, bed. The house gets neglected.

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work?      DH does a lot of the dishes and laundry. Our house is always messy, but that will change when I'm done with school.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM?   Definitely be a SAHM

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do?     Family vacation to a little each town in Canada...Cobourg

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions.    Wednesday works for me!

Have a great night! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What is your profession/field of work? art director for 3 magazines

What age was your LO when you returned to work? 9 weeks (but DD didn't start day care until 11 weeks)

Who watches LO when you are at work? 3 days a week at daycare and 2 days with my mom

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work? FF

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? I usually play with DD while DH takes care of dinner. Then we go on a walk. After that it varies from bath/books/relaxing. If DH has to work late, it throws our time schedule off.

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? I try to do as much family time on the weekends to make up for what I miss during the work week.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? I love my job. I don't think I could leave it (even if I didn't need the money)

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? Yep! DH and I are going to Boston/Cape Cod/Nantucket for my 30th in September.

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in? Maybe easy dinner meals. I work until 5:30, so I feel like dinner is always an issue.

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions. Sounds good to me! I'm usually a bad employee and am on here during work.  :)

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker peri-partum cardio myopathy survivor
  • imageTbh22012:

So here we go:

What is your profession/field of work? Personal Banker in a Credit Union

Are you FT, PT or something else? full time

What age was your LO when you returned to work? 6 weeks, way too soon

Who watches LO when you are at work? we have a baby sitter, we know her through my coworker

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  I primarily BFed, with maybe one FF bottle while I was gone if needed. My supply steadily went down, and then it suddenly just dropped. I ran into a lot of stress at work, and turns out I also started experiencing PPD. LO eats 18 oz (3 6oz bottles) while I'm gone and I was barely able to pump 3 oz at work. So now she's FF while I'm at work and BF while I'm home with her.

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? We get home around 6-630. She usually stays asleep in her car seat for about 5 minutes, and I change out of my work clothes, let the dog out, and clean up anything I can until she wakes up. We hang out and play, and go on a walk around the block if it's nice. Bath time is at 8, I nurse her then put her down, usually by 830 or 9. DH doesn't get home until 1030 so at least 3 nights I spend a little while cleaning the house.

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? I honestly don't know *how* I do it, I just kind of do. I really just do my best to enjoy every one of the few minutes I get to spend with my girl. At times I feel incredibly lonely since DH works late.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? I'd love to be a SAHM. I'd even settle for part time. Hell, I'd be ok with full time if I could keep the same pay rate but cut the stress in half!

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? I've got a week scheduled in July, it's a staycation - our babysitter is going on vacation :)

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in? my brain is friend tonight, I can't think of anything haha

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions. wednesday works for me!

Have a great night! 

• nattyknattyk member
    imageTbh22012:

Hi Ladies!

So here we go:

What is your profession/field of work?  I'm a drug and alcohol therapist

Are you FT, PT or something else?  FT

What age was your LO when you returned to work?  6 weeks.  =(

Who watches LO when you are at work? In home day care

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  I EP, so, BF.  I never know how to answer this question.

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss?  Not really.  I try to take DS for a walk most days.

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work?  I actually enjoy working.  I love my job, and feel like I'm a much better mom because I spend time away from him.  It makes me appreciate him so much more.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM?  I'd keep working (see above)

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do?  I'm hoping to go to the shore in early Sept, but not sure if I'll have the vacation days.

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in?  Cant think of anything right now

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions. Works for me!

Thanks again ladies for participating. I will post a summary on the blog this weekend once I hear from the bulk of you.  Thanks for organizing this!

Have a great night! 

Can you please add me to the Working Mom's blog?  Thanks!

• So here we go:

What is your profession/field of work? I am an elementary school music teacher. I teach 4th and 5th grade band. 

Are you FT, PT or something else?FT

What age was your LO when you returned to work? He will be 6 mo and one week when I go back at the end of August. 

Who watches LO when you are at work? One of my good friends, we are trading free child care for free music lessons for her kids. 

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work? BF. I am really worried about pumping at work, so I am looking forward to seeing other teachers' responses to this. 

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? Not yet......

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? Again, would love to hear other responses.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? I think working PT would be my ideal.  

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? We do all of our vacationing when school is closed for the summer. Having just gotten back from my sister's wedding, we don't have anything elaborate planned for this year. 

•  

What is your profession/field of work? - PA in a busy Manhatten ER

Are you FT, PT or something else? - when i return it will be FT, 10 hour shifts,nights

What age was your LO when you returned to work? he will be 6 months

Who watches LO when you are at work? not sure yet,

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  BF. I plan to pump when i return but with DD as soon as i returned to work it was a slow decline.  I will just have to pump more often at work

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? i think i would like to work PT,

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do?  I am using up my vacation time being out,

• BGoBGo member
    What is your profession/field of work? Analytical Chemist/Environmental Compliance Specialist

Who watches LO when you are at work? Day care during the school year, my mom in the summer

Do you FF or BF? Mainly FF, but she gets about 1 oz of breast milk per feeding.

If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work? It SUCKS pumping with a loud pump (even with my office door closed and locked) in a lab full of men.

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Sort of.

Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? LOTS. I especially miss the mornings, when she is the most alert and happy.

How are you doing balancing work and home? Okay, but it's exhausting. Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? Not yet; I'm all take and no give at this point.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? 4 months ago, I said "There's no way I could be a SAHM." Let's just say I've changed my tune slightly since then.

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? Nope, can't. Used it all so I could get the full 12 weeks.

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in? Not yet.

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions. Sure; not on here a lot but looking to change that!

• What is your profession/field of work? I am a social worker for adults with disabilities

Are you FT, PT or something else? full time, plus some most weeks :)

What age was your LO when you returned to work? 6 weeks

Who watches LO when you are at work? DH and SIL

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? yes I have a routine, go to the gym, go home, make dinner, eat, clean up after dinner, give DD a bath, feed DD, read to her and put her to bed, then clean up the house, pack bags for the next day and bed. I miss down time with DH, it is rare that we have enough time after everything is done to just sit and cuddle

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? I dont know how I am making it work, I have days where I feel like I have it under control and days where I feel like I am drowning and overwhelmed. My only tip is to sort out what HAS to be done and what can wait, figure out priorities because there is no way to do it all.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? ideally I would work part time, I hate feeling like I dont have enough time with DD, but I love my job, staying home I felt so unproductive and lost

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? I wish! I used up all of my PTO time for maternity leave. I will be taking 2 days off for my nephews surgery, not a vacation by any means.

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in? I can think of alot of things I would love tips on from other working moms, time management, how you make time for DH (besides sex), dinner ideas/receipes, the emotional struggle of not getting enough time with LO's.

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions I usually bump during the day/mornings before DD is awake, nights are crazy but I would just check in Thursday mornings if you post Wednesday evenings. so it doesnt matter to me.

• imageTbh22012:

What is your profession/field of work? RN for a pharmacy consulting service, soon to be FT student as well in a NP program

Are you FT, PT or something else? FT RN, PT student (I'm in summer school to catch up taking last semester off)

Who watches LO when you are at work? My SIL, we are on wait lists for 2 centers I really want. We pay SIL what we would be paing the centers, but are not 100% satisfied with SIL's performance so hoping to be a center ASAP

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  Before returning to work, I EBF, we have always had latch issues, and DD is a slow pokey sleepy eater, so now I EP, saves lots of long hours nursing when I get home. I still allow her to comfort nurse when she needs it, like after shots

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? I have been back to work for 2 1/2 months and we still dont have a set routine. If DD falls asleep on the way home from picking her up which is like 50% of the time, then as soon as I get home, while she is still sleeping I prep bag for next day, wash bottles, start dinner and any other quick think I can do. If she is awake, then we just roll with the punches.

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? I am currently sucking.... I thought I had it down, then I started summer school 2 weeks ago, and everything turned to crap.. I am not exceling in any aspect of  my life, I feel like I am not giving a 100% to anyone or anythin... The only tip I have is as long as there is food on the table for DH and I, and of course my boob for DD, and we have clothes, then we are A-ok.. cleaning will get done eventually, but our quality time and my santy is most important, my house might never be perfect ever again, and thats ok

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? I like to use my brain and the education I paid for, and I think staying home is tough, and not for me. I do miss DD like crazy, so if I had a choice I would be done with school (was accepted to the post-bac program b4 finding out I was prego) and work around 25-30 hrs a week, maybe only 3-4 days a week. However with my job's wonderful benefits and tuition reimbursment, its not in the cards for us right now... but oh to dream...

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? I wish, not this year, I am going to take a week off from work around the holidays like I always do, but with school and the cost of books ect we are probably not going anywhere, and just will spend the time hanging out, and holiday shopping ect... not this year, but when I'm done with this program next year we are going on a cruise or something huge to celebrate

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in? I like the dinner ideas.. we are living off of takeout more than I care to admit these days, I would love menu posts on our favorite quick easy go to meals.. because I only have like 2, which is recently the average amount of days I cook a week right now

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions. I usually bump while I pump, so anyday is good for me

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • What is your profession/field of work?  I'm an engineer at a large company

Are you FT, PT or something else? PT, 32 hours per week, M-Th

Who watches LO when you are at work? Daycare center

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  BF, with a little formula supplementation.  It has been hard.  I pump 3x a day at work and usually get 11-12 oz total.  I also pump once per evening after DS goes to bed.  He takes 14 oz to daycare every day, though I'd like to increase that a bit to help him gain weight.  It got a lot less stressful for me once I mentally allowed myself to give him some formula and not feel guilty about it.  He only gets 4-8 oz per week of it now, but he seems to do fine with it and it really took the pressure off of me.

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss?  DH does the daycare drop off in the morning and I do the pick up every evening.  DS always wants to nurse immediately when we get home, even if he just finished a bottle not long before I picked him up.  I used to work out 2-3 evenings per week, and I'm still trying to figure out how to fit that in.

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work?  We hired a cleaning service to come in every other week.  That makes a big difference.  I've had to be very direct with DH to get him to help at all.  I've totally given up on him recognizing that something needs to be done and doing it without being asked.  I think he got spoiled when I was on leave and wasn't asking him to do as much.  We're starting to get into a routine.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM?  I choose to work, and would consider being a SAHM in the future.  We haven't decided if we are going to do IVF again to have another child.  We will need the money that I make if we're going to afford that.

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do?  We're planning to rent a cabin for a week in July, and we're going to visit my family for a long weekend around Labor Day.

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in?  I'd love more tips on how people manage their evenings.  I usually feel like I'm super busy from the moment I get home until when I get to bed.

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions.  Wednesday is fine with me.

TTC #1 since 4/09 w/ MFI
    IVF #1, 7/10: Cancelled due to dominant follicle; IVF #2, 9/10: c/p; FET #1, 11/10: c/p; IVF #3, 4/11: BFN; FET #2, 6/11: BFP! Beta #1 = 118 (11dp2dt), Beta #2 = 1975 (16dp2dt)
    DS born 2/17/12

TTC #2
    IVF #4, 11/13: BFN; IVF #5, 3/14: BFP! Beta #1 = 59 (11dp2dt), Beta #2 = 406 (15dp2dt)
    EDD 12/19/14

BabyFruit Ticker

• What is your profession/field of work? Planning for City Government

Who watches LO when you are at work? Church daycare

Do you FF or BF? FF

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? Get DD situated, make dinner, clean up dinner, bathtime, usually 1 last bottle, get DD in bed, finish any cleaning up/chores around the house, get ready for the next day, go to bed

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? Okay; Don't sweat the small stuff. Remember what is most important.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? Ideally I would like to work part-time doing something I really enjoy or have my own business.

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? I'm going to the beach next week! Can't wait.

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in? I dunno..

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? Sure

• imageTraci09:

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  BF, with a little formula supplementation.  It has been hard.  I pump 3x a day at work and usually get 11-12 oz total.  I also pump once per evening after DS goes to bed.  He takes 14 oz to daycare every day, though I'd like to increase that a bit to help him gain weight.  It got a lot less stressful for me once I mentally allowed myself to give him some formula and not feel guilty about it.  He only gets 4-8 oz per week of it now, but he seems to do fine with it and it really took the pressure off of me.

Have you thought of adding a pumping session in the morning before work? I was coming up a little short at work, too. Since DD only eats from one side at a time, I starting pumping the other side before work in the mornings, and I can usually get 5-6oz, which adds a nice cushion (though it sucks to wake up 30 minutes earlier to fit it in).

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • imageTbh22012:

Hi Ladies!

So here we go:

What is your profession/field of work? Attorney for the State of CA

Are you FT, PT or something else? FT. Depending on what happens when the state budget gets passed, I may be working 4 days / 38 hours a week, or something else

What age was your LO when you returned to work? I return in 2 weeks, and LO will be a little over 4 months.

Who watches LO when you are at work? My folks and DH's folks alternate days.

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  FF

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? Not back at work yet 

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? Not back at work yet

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? I would continue to work.

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? Probably not, because I need to build my leave credits back up after basically depleting them for mat leave.

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in? Maybe easy dinner suggestions or how to fit workouts into a busy schedule.

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions. Works for me!

Have a great night! 

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageTbh22012:

What is your profession/field of work? I'm a budget analyst for my City

What age was your LO when you returned to work? 15 Weeks

Who watches LO when you are at work? She goes to an in home daycare

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  I BF and pump twice a day at work 11am and 3pm.  So far I have been able to keep up with her bottles and have a few extra ounces.

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? Yes, we get home at about 4:45pm she nurses as soon as we get home, we play a little, she takes a nap (sometimes I do too), she wakes and nurses again takes a bath, play a little and down to sleep at about 8:30pm.  I try to clean her bottles and make new ones for the next day and clean my pump parts while she naps.  I try to cook a big meal on Sunday and take something out the freezer so I don't have to cook during the week.

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work?  Prepping everything the night before really helps.  Bottle, diaper bag, clothes, lunch and breakfast if possible.  I try to do one chore every evening either when she naps or once she goes down for the night.  So far it has been great, eventhough it's only been two weeks.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM?  I would love to stay home but I don't think I could give her what she needs developmentally past the age of 2.  Also, I worked to hard for a bachelor's and master's degree to not put them to work and I know I can provide so much more for her if we have two salaries versus one.

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? I doubt it.

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in?  Finding time to exercise!

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions.  Any day is good.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • mle5dmle5d member

What is your profession/field of work? - Career counselor for a university business school

Are you FT, PT or something else? - FT

What age was your LO when you returned to work? - 12 weeks

Who watches LO when you are at work? - DS is in a daycare center, but grandma often picks him up to hang with him.

Do you FF or BF?  - Both If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?  - we primarily BF. I pump 4x per day at work now (will change when the fall semester starts) and nurse 1-2x per day at home. He gets formula at bedtime and sometimes in the morning.

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? - DH or I (usually me) pick up DS at daycare between 5:30 and 6. Get home, dump bottles in the sink. change clothes, throw dinner in the oven, play with DS or feed him (depending on when he ate last), eat dinner, play outside with DS, DH, and the dog, bathe DS (every other day or so) or play with him, get him ready for bed around 7:30-8:00, bottle, story and bedtime. He's usually down by 8:30 or so. Then DH or I wash bottles and get them ready for the next day. I pump, shower, and fall into bed. I miss downtime with DH, and getting to read or relax. DH does a lot to help, but I often wonder what I did with my time before having DS.

How are you doing balancing work and home? - still kind of in survival mode. I get dishes and laundry done on a regular basis...that's about it. Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work?

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? - My ideal would be PT. I love what I do, but I really miss time with DS.

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? - Taking a few days to go to Colorado over the 4th of July to see family.

PS - please add me to the WM blog. Thanks!

• What is your profession/field of work? I work for the federal government

Who watches LO when you are at work? daycare center

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? I pick DD up at daycare, then it takes us about 45min to get home. Once home, I feed her, pack DH and my lunches and wash her bottles. Then I prepare her bottles etc for daycare the next day, throw in a load of laundry. By then DH is usually getting home and he makes dinner while I play with DD for a little bit or read her a book. Then she naps while we eat. After we eat, we give her a bath, feed her again and then put her to bed. Then I take a shower and go to bed. I miss naps and long cuddle times with DD on the couch, but we do that on weekends, so it's okay.

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? ROUTINE. Every day is exactly the same! It becomes a mess if I have to go shopping or whatever during the week.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? We've talked about me potentially going part time (3 days/week), but it isn't really feasible for us right now. We spent most of our savings on fertility treatments/testing.

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? I am taking 3 days off in September (after I build some leave back up - I used 95% of my leave to be paid while I was off for maternity leave). We're taking DD to northern MI with us to celebrate our anniversary. And then I'm taking Christmas Eve, the day after Christmas and NYE off (those are not federal holidays and we're not closed).

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in? I can't think of anything this second ...

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions. Wednesday evenings sounds good to me!

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• -->

Full Time Financial Advisor, specializing in 401ks

Returned when LO was 6 weeks.

In home day care three days a week, MIL two days a week. 

BF, and I'm struggling. I built up a huge supply before I went back, so I haven't had to support with formula yet. But I'm definitely not keeping up with her and the supply is dwindling.  

I play with her as much as possible before she goes to bed. I miss spinning class

My only "tip" is to make sure Hubby pulls his weight. Mine def takes on 50% of the household/child raising duties. We couldn't make it work if he didn't.

If we won the lottery I would be SAHM part-time and work part-time.

Haven't decided on vacay yet.

Tips for pumping and driving... 

• imagekleMcK:
    imageTraci09:

Have you thought of adding a pumping session in the morning before work? I was coming up a little short at work, too. Since DD only eats from one side at a time, I starting pumping the other side before work in the mornings, and I can usually get 5-6oz, which adds a nice cushion (though it sucks to wake up 30 minutes earlier to fit it in).

I have considered it, but I generally only get an ounce if I pump right after a feeding, and DS always takes both sides.  I've been able to make up the difference with pumping on the weekends and with my evening session.  The reason why we're still giving some formula is because DS is having some weight gain issues (in the 5th percentile), so we give him a little extra (~2oz) to eat in a bottle once a day during the week and twice during the weekend.  We use any extra milk that I pump for this and make up the rest with formula.

TTC #1 since 4/09 w/ MFI
    IVF #1, 7/10: Cancelled due to dominant follicle; IVF #2, 9/10: c/p; FET #1, 11/10: c/p; IVF #3, 4/11: BFN; FET #2, 6/11: BFP! Beta #1 = 118 (11dp2dt), Beta #2 = 1975 (16dp2dt)
    DS born 2/17/12

TTC #2
    IVF #4, 11/13: BFN; IVF #5, 3/14: BFP! Beta #1 = 59 (11dp2dt), Beta #2 = 406 (15dp2dt)
    EDD 12/19/14

BabyFruit Ticker

• What is your profession/field of work? - elementary teacher

Are you FT, PT or something else? - FT

What age was your LO when you returned to work? - 9 weeks

Who watches LO when you are at work? - we were lucky enough to find two women who rotate days and come and watch him at our home. And DH watches him one day.

Do you FF or BF? - BF -

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? - I get home from work at 4 and nurse him. Then we play until 5 or 5:30- he naps for an hour or so. I feed him at 7, DH gets home we have dinner, then we get him ready for bed around 8:30-he feeds again at 10 (bottle from dad, and I pump) he then sleeps until 5 am, feeds for 10 mins then back to sleep until 7 am.

How are you doing balancing work and home? - still kind of in survival mode. I try and do dishes and keep the house picked up during the week and make dinner. The weekend is time to get caught up with laundry and ironing. LO is great at playing by himself so I can get some house stuff done.

Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work?

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? - I enjoy working, I love teaching! I miss LO like crazy but I like what I do and enjoy my students, So I think I am a better mom and wife because I work. And I am blessed having a teacher schedule because I get long breaks over holidays and the summer off.

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? - I only have 1 week of school left, and then we are going to watch the Olympic Track and Field trials in Eugene OR for 10 days and I am pumped :)

PS - please add me to the WM blog. Thanks!

• imageTraci09:
    imagekleMcK:
    imageTraci09:

I have considered it, but I generally only get an ounce if I pump right after a feeding, and DS always takes both sides.  I've been able to make up the difference with pumping on the weekends and with my evening session.  The reason why we're still giving some formula is because DS is having some weight gain issues (in the 5th percentile), so we give him a little extra (~2oz) to eat in a bottle once a day during the week and twice during the weekend.  We use any extra milk that I pump for this and make up the rest with formula.

Oh yes, if my daughter ate both sides in the morning there is no way I'd pump, too. I wouldn't get anything. Sounds like you've worked out a good plan.

Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • What is your profession/field of work? Project Manager at a large Investment Bank

What age was your LO when you returned to work? 16 weeks

Who watches LO when you are at work? Day care

Do you FF or BF? FF

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Yes but it is still a work in progress.  DH picks DS up from daycare and drives him home (I commute via bus to NYC). We play with him until 6:30 then it is bath time.  Last bottle between 6:45-7 then he is in bed hopefully till 6 am.  After 7 we eat dinner and get ready for the next day.  In bed by 9:30 on a good day.

Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? I miss playing with him and taking him for long walks.

How are you doing balancing work and home? depends on the day.

Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? I have only been back to work for 2 weeks so nothing yet.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? I would like to be a SAHM if my DH could also be a SAHD (dollar and a dream)!

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? Hopefully going to England later this year so that DHs family can meet our DS. Need to get his passport first.

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in? Easy dinners!

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions. Wedenesday night works.

IVF #1 - DS #1 Born 2/5/12 IVF #2 - Egg Retrieval 2/14, Embryo Transfer 2/17, BFP 2/28/13 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • minteamintea member

What is your profession/field of work? Health policy

Who watches LO when you are at work? My mom

Do you FF or BF? BF

If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work? I detest pumping, but I was doing fine with it & usually getting enough to add a few extra oz to the freezer each night. Lately my supply has dropped a bit, not sure why yet. It is also sort of straining my nursing confidence - I think she might prefer the bottle.       

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? We get the same things done but not always in the same order. Usually home at 6, nurse a bit to reconnect, play for 30 mins or so, maybe go on a walk, eat dinner while maybe nursing a bit more. I usually leave all of my stuff for after she goes to bed at 8:30, that's when I shower (every other day) and do any cleaning (rarely) or just crash out to sleep 

Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss? I miss being able to run errands on weeknights, I really miss having time to exercise. I was squeezing exercise in 3x week after work but then I started feeling too guilty.

How are you doing balancing work and home? We're all still alive.

Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work? A couple of times a week when I get home I just take LO and lay in my bed and nurse for a long time while I read and play with her. I think that helps us reconnect.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? In my dream world I would work but (1) live in a country with paid mat leave, (2) work at a place where I could bring my kid(s) to work at least half time. I need the intellectual and social stimulation fo a job but I want my baby with me. 

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? I am in paid time off debt so I will not be vacationing this year. Also, if I ever want another kid I need to start hoarding my hours now so I probably won't vacation for several years. I find this unhealthy and ridiculous and I am very, very bitter about it. :)   

Any topics or items of interest that you ladies would like to talk about in the next check in? Maybe some just for fun questions - the bedrest group had the most interesting questions so I read theirs and I wasn't even on bedrest! 

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone? I'm open to other suggestions. Yes but I read this during the day so I probably will always be posting the following afternoon. 

We have a WM blog? I feel clueless here!

DD #1: 2012; MMC: 2014; DD #2: 2015; It's a boy! 3/31/2018

• What is your profession/field of work? Higher Education Financial Aid

What age was your LO when you returned to work? 12 weeks :(

Who watches LO when you are at work? Mom 2 days, sister 2 days, and other sister 1 day (all at my mom's house so we're aren't shuffling a million places)

Do you FF or BF? FF, I had tried BF and planned on pumping when back to work, but I never got any milk

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss?  We pretty much have a routine, but it's not set in stone by any means

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work?  Work stresses me out more than it use to...I think it's because I really, really, really don't want to be here!!!  I have always been the type to leave work at work when the day is done...but I really have to make sure that happens these days, which isn't too hard because once I get to pick up LO the rest of the day is insignificant at that point.

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM? SAHM IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do? No true vacation for us as I don't have any leave time.  We do get away at random, like we will be doing this weekend.  SO parents own a cabin in the mountains so we can go whenever we want, so that's where we're headed this weekend!

Check in day - does Wednesday evenings work for everyone?  What day doesn't matter to me...as I can only bump from work, so I just go back to posts as far as I can to read stuff I've not gotten to.

• What is your profession/field of work?  I am a nanny.  I have a Masters in Elementary Education and I used to teach first grade.  I started nannying when I moved to California, and then continued because I can take Lucia to work with me.  I'm not sure if I should be posting here in the SAHM, though I don't technically stay at home.

Are you FT, PT or something else?  I work 3-4 days a week, and 9 hour days.

What age was your LO when you returned to work? 1.5 weeks

Who watches LO when you are at work?  I do

Do you FF or BF? If you BF how has that been now that you are back at work?   FF

Do you have a routine once you get home from work? Is there anything that gets left out of your routine that you miss?   

How are you doing balancing work and home? Do you have any tips to share on how you are making it work?

If given the choice, would you continue to work or be a SAHM?  SAHM

Will you be taking time off this year for vacation? If so, what will you do?  We just got back from a trip to the east coast for my 10 year college graduation, and for a wedding.  We will spend next Christmas in Mexico, where my brother and SIL will be having their first baby.  

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• WOW! What a great response! Thanks ladies! It looks like we share many common things and I really think this check in will be helpful to many of us...I know just the posts today have helped me out! Thank you! 

With no objections heard, check ins will happen every Wed evening here on the Bump. A summary will be posted each weekend on our blog, so we can keep our tips in one easily accessible spot. I will post on the bump when that is up. 

For those of you interested in being added to the blog I will send you a PM to get some info from you. I will post the link to the blog for you all to see.

Thanks again for those that have responded so far! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"