August 2012 Moms

Why did I lick the spoon!?

Today, I was baking fairy cakes with my little niece after we finished she ran off with the bowl leaving me with the spoon.. (not fair I know). Well with out thinking and having doing as I have done for years I popped the spoon in my mouth and started to clean up. as I grabbed the egg shells it hit me.. RAW EGG!! 

You don't think there is much of a risk right?... right?!
BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Why did I lick the spoon!?

• Don't panic. Seriously.

Look at how many eggs went in.... and look at how much batter that made. You'll be FINE. You're not gulping down raw eggs. Don't panic.

• I sure hope not-as I have done this a couple times already...So far I am OK-so I am going with the idea that as long as you arent consuming raw eggs by the dozen, you should be OK. I could be wrong, but lets hope for our sake that I am right ;)
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i'd say don't do it again, and ask your OB.  Saying that i've done that once this pregnancy too (why i don't bake much while pregnant, i have a really hard time not eating the dough/batter).

but again, its done now, so i'd call you ob to ask if they're worried and if they're not, don't worry about it.

10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • It's fine.  If I'm not mistaken the risk of eating raw eggs is the risk of being exposed to salmonella.  And I read somewhere that in America we as individuals come across an egg contaminated with salmonella once every 40 years or so. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Sorry everyone.. it's my first time being pregnant haha... and it was OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!! done moment... *blush*
  • If you did get salmonella, the risk would be more for you than the baby or so I've been told. The severity is also related to the dose you get of the bacteria. So like pp said you had such a small amount. If you did get sick, you would have to be sure to stay hydrated and keep your fever down. But honestly I wouldn't worry. It usually shows up in six hours. 
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• imagetupelohunny320:
    I do this all the time and I'm fine as far as I can tell...

Ditto. Can't resist brownie batter 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageKLilley:

It's fine.  If I'm not mistaken the risk of eating raw eggs is the risk of being exposed to salmonella.  And I read somewhere that in America we as individuals come across an egg contaminated with salmonella once every 40 years or so. 

This! I tend to eat raw cookie dough from time to time...and, it's always been fine :)

WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • In other news the cakes turned out lovely xD 
  • The so-called "danger" of raw eggs is one of the most overblown food safety issues.

You know what the contamination rate of an egg with salmonella is? 1 in 30,000. With average egg consumption, that comes out to you maybe coming across a contaminated egg once every **42 YEARS**!

DH made brownies last night, I purposely told him to leave some extra batter in the bowl for me to eat raw! I still eat my eggs runny, even while pregnant. I've eaten raw eggs (in dough/batter, protein shakes, etc) my entire life and never been sick.

Contrast that with the 3 times I've had food poisoning from restaurants, which are supposed to be "safe" and have routine health inspections. So in my personal experience, restaurants are far more likely to make someone sick than a raw egg. (I don't have any real statistics on-hand to back that up, but I would bet it's statistically accurate as well.)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've accidentally eaten raw cookie dough I was baking.  I wouldn't worry, I experienced a little panic when I realized what I did.  I wouldn't go doing it again but I wouldn't worry that it happened, you are most likely fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • imageCLeigh03:
    imageKLilley:

It's fine.  If I'm not mistaken the risk of eating raw eggs is the risk of being exposed to salmonella.  And I read somewhere that in America we as individuals come across an egg contaminated with salmonella once every 40 years or so. 

This! I tend to eat raw cookie dough from time to time...and, it's always been fine :)

same here....except i do it weekly.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

• Dude.

You probably have a higher chance of being struck by freaking lightening, than getting salmonella.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't resist when I bake. I'm still alive and LO is fine. 

The main risk is the same whether you are pregnant or not: salmonella.  If you don't get a tummy ache, no salmonella. 

I make cute babies.

IMG_0872

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• rels09rels09 member
    I did this with no reservations the last time I made cookies - it definitely wasn't an accident. The amount of raw egg in a few small bites/licks of cookie dough or cake batter is miniscule.

Daughter born at 34 weeks due to PPROM, July 2012

Expecting baby #2, May 8, 2015

May 2015 signature challenge for January: "You had ONE job!"

• I did this last night while baking a cake with my youngest son. 

Edd 8-14-12, Team pink Ds#1 born 6-14-03 Ds#2 born 5-7-05 Skylar Dominique born 7/30/2012 @ 7:30pm 6lbs 12oz and 18 3/4 inches
  • imagebyrne15:
    imageCLeigh03:
    imageKLilley:

same here....except i do it weekly.

Haha!  Now I want some brownie batter.
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • One is more likely to come into contact with salmonella eating a salad than eating cookie dough. 

Scientists estimate that, on average across the U.S., only 1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the bacteria. So, the likelihood that an egg might contain Se is extremely small ? 0.005% (five one-thousandths of one percent). At this rate, if you?re an average consumer, you might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years.

Go ahead and eat that batter! 

I make cute babies.

IMG_0872

• JKS21JKS21 member
    My mom said she didn't even know about the no cookie dough thing, as when she was pregnant she ate it. :)

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Tickerimage

• i think its more risky handling raw meat at dinner time, or even eatting bad meat - thats more likely to make you sick than eatting a spoonful (or 2, or 3, or 4) of cake batter.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"