Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Educate me please

OB wants me on a prenatal with "extra" folic acid. The one I currently have has 600mcg. She didn't specify what amount constitutes "extra" however. My current one also doesn't have the DHA. I have been looking online and can't seem to make a decision. I see that there is a New Chapter Organic that is popular but it does not have extra folate and you take 3 pills a day!

Would any of you mind providing recommendations?

Thank you.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Educate me please

• Options

I would call back and ask.  I don't know if prescriptions vary by state, but I know the largest amount of folic acid I could get without a Rx was 800mcg.  My RE had to write me a Rx for folic acid (2mg) and a Rx for my prenatals (ProferaOB One)- which also has 1mg folic acid and DHA.

Another option would be to just buy folic acid, but you'd still need to ask the OB how much.  I was taking three, 800mcg folic acids (roughly 2.5mg folic acid) so that's why I asked for the Rx so I didn't have to take three FA pills.  It costs a little more having the Rx, but I'm not good with swallowing pills so it made sense for me Smile

image image imageimageimage  

CFNBC after 8 losses and IF || History || My Angel Babies

• Options
    The Centrum pre natal vitamins I bought have 800mcg. Not sure if thats how much he wanted extra but thats what I buy. I did want to buy the gummies but they dont have any iron. I also have trouble swallowing pills. :) hope this helps. I got them at a walgreens. Pretty sure walmart carries them too. I would call the doctor too and ask exactly how much he wanted extra.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took New Chapter at first but got VERY tired of taking three vitamins a day. My phone alarm was constantly going off to remind me, and despite that, I'm pretty sure I lost track of how many I was taking a day. A good organic one-a-day alternative for me has been Rainbow Light's Prenatal One. This vitamin has 800mcg of folic acid, which is pretty standard. I would ask if a separate folic acid supplement would suffice, since even if you found a vitamin with higher folic acid, it might upset your stomach or you might not like it. Or you can find some good foods rich in folic acid and make sure to eat them every day. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I take the vitafusion gummy prenantals which has 800 mcg of folic acid and DHA as well. Plus, they're pretty yummy. But yes, I would find out how much extra your OB wants you to take.

IMG_2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions gals! I'm thinking I will try the Centrum and up my food intake of folic acid as well. Have a great day!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I use the New Chapter Perfect Prenatals, did with DS as well.

I am not sure if they are considered to have "extra" folate or not.

As for the 3 pills/day, they are each much, much smaller than a regular one/day prenatal, which is nice.  I take them all at once before bed, but at least I don't have to swallow a gigantic horse pill.

For DHA, I take the Target version of Expecta.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Glad u decided to go Centrum theyre good i dont usually need more than that but i sometimes get sick if i take them before i eat. Make sure you eat something light maybe if you feel theyre making you woozy. :)
  • Options
    My OB's office writes prescriptions for OB One Complete.  It has 1000 mcg of folic acid & DHA, & you only have to take one pill a day!  The downside is that is sold by prescription only.
    BFP#1: 10/29/11 EDD: 7/14/12 MMC: 12/28/11 BFP#2: 5/17/12 EDD: 1/27/13 Trevor was born on 1/21/13! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo 8e4774ee-d2a4-4dd5-9180-492d059e568e_zpsb44e90d8.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"