Parenting

Flying with a toddler...help!

We are flying to FL for the weekend at the end of the month for a Thursday-Sunday trip. DS does NOT have a seat, he will be sitting on our laps. Once we are there we are renting a car.

So first question- any survival tips for the flight? DS is very active and is not interested in watching TV. We do have an iPad that he will watch for a few minutes, but I'm not counting on it for entertainment. My fear with him is how busy he is; he likes coloring, playing with trucks etc but the problem is that he loses interest VERY quickly and never sticks with one activity for long.

Second question- should we check or carry-on that beast of a carseat? It's a Britax. There really is no way around hauling that thing, is there? 

Thanks! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Flying with a toddler...help!

• We've been flying with DD(2.5) since she was 6 months and she loves it.  If I'm flying with her by myself, I bring a ton of things: coloring books, crayons, snacks, empty straw cup(fill up after you get past security), at least 3 new small toys, stickers, and a couple of small books.  Also antibacterial wipes to wipe down the seat, tray, etc.  Honestly, I usually don't use all the stuff I bring because DD is so excited about being on the plane, she'll look around, play with the tray table and seat belt, and take the stuff out of the front seat pocket.  Sometimes she will take a nap.  I would have your DH carry some stuff with him too, so you can trade off and he'll have different stuff to look at.

Since he's not in his own seat, I would check the car seat.

• It's a novelty for them when they get on. My kids love watching the baggage people work, and all the other grounds crew do their thing. I don't know how old your son is, but my kids are entertained for a bit with lollipops for take-off. Also, we wrap a couple of new toys. It makes them more interesting when you pull them out of your bag. Crayons, coloring books, new story books, and new snacks are always a hit when we are stuck in the row.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry, DS is 22 months.

Thanks so much to both of you for your responses! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Just traveled with toddler to fl in march she was 3 at the time again like everyone said so entertained by everything else i could have taken one book and been fine. I dont think we pulled a thing out other then the lollipops out on the flight down... lollipops help their eats pop.....but i went prepared with a million and one things...

carseat...if u have a backpack carrier i would use it and gate check it just for the fact that it costs nothing to gate check and almost every airline does it....we did this on all flights and only had to pay for one bag check on way home...good luck

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageschmidters10:

carseat...if u have a backpack carrier i would use it and gate check it just for the fact that it costs nothing to gate check and almost every airline does it....we did this on all flights and only had to pay for one bag check on way home...good luck

You can check car seats for free.  If you are not using it for the flight I would check it.  I gate checked ours because we used the attachment that made it like a stroller & could wheel her around the airport strapped into her car seat. I watched them load it on the plane & they still were not very careful with it.  It went flying down the ramp to the handler who threw it onto the luggage rack.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"