Babies: 3 - 6 Months

No napping!

My 4 month old has been refusing naps...just crying instead because he's so tired! He used to nap in the swing really well in the mornings but as of this week has given that up. I've tried the pack 'n' play and crib with no success. He doesn't even allow me to rock him to sleep. I pretty much fight with trying to get him down until he's hungry again to nurse. Then he falls asleep while nursing but I can't relocate him to the crib or he wakes up immediately and is up in 20 minutes if I move him to the swing. I don't know what to do! He is exhausted! 

Re: No napping!

• Does he STTN? DD will not take naps these days either I am assuming its because she sleeps 10-12hrs at night. If she happenes to nap it will only be for about 20mins:()
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My son is 3 months and he doesn't nap anymore either. He fights and fights and he use to also sleep in his swing but now he wants to play all the time. I try to put him to bed at night by 9:30 to 10pm so he can STTN. How does your little sleep at night?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO only naps for about 15 min clips also.  It started shortly after she STTN.  However, if I hold her she will sleep for hrs.  I am trying to break her of this.  Not sure how...

• He STTN about 50% of the time and the other half will wake once to nurse between about 7-8pm and 6-7am. I wouldn't mind him not napping if he were content but he just cries because he's so tired until I can get him to nurse and then he half sleeps while he does that. Sometimes then he'll be content for at least a little bit and other times he's still grouchy because he didn't really sleep restfully. :/
  • I think all babies go through this! Once they start realizing that there is so much happening, they don't want to miss anything! Try a nap routine...worked for me and my LO. Also, I am weaning and I find that formula really settles him down for a good snooze...he loves feeling full. But I wouldn't suggest that for those moms who are exclusively bfing. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • He is EBF and won't even take a bottle of pumped milk anymore. :( What is your routine? Did you have to do CIO? I need details! Haha
  • I start by waking him up every day at the same time - 6:30 am. His first nap is around 9 am after a bottle - or a good breastfeed. Then I take him into his room , change his diaper, sit in the rocking chair and read him a book, darken his room and put him down. I do give him a little blankie he sucks on and I have to go in once it's quiet to take it because he drapes it over his face. If he doesn't sleep, I will wait a while and then go in and pretend he did sleep by saying "Oh, your awake from your nap!" and then open the blinds and bring him out. The he goes down for another nap around 1 pm after another good feed.

Just keep up with a schedule and routine and they will get it! Darken the room the best you can, put the nigh light and mobile on and leave the room. I find that the CIO method takes a good week and a half to work.

• So he cried going down for his naps for a week and a half? I don't know if I have the strength! 
  • Actually the naps just sort of happened this week...but it was hell for the last 3 months trying to get him to sleep in there during the day. I think I spent a few weeks shuffling him from his crib to the swing to the car back to his crib ALL DAY LONG in hopes that he would catch a few mins of a nap! I had to teach him how to nap all over again...in his swing! Once he started getting a napping schedule down, I bit the bullet last weekend and said "That's it! I'm putting him in his crib for naps starting on Monday and I don't care if he sleeps or not!" And then he just slept! Maybe it was because I stopped worrying about it so much! They can read emotions you know!

I do find that a bottle of formula really settles him. I never had enough milk to fill him good...just kind of left him content and I think that's why he wasn't settling. I'm not sure if that's the whole reason his naps are successful... 

• Totally jinxed myself with this! LO is NOT napping at all today no matter what I do! He isn't crying, but he is getting on my nerves! Guess it doesn't work EVERY time!

• What are naps and STTN? Ha ha. LO takes a series of cat naps during the day and once a week he may nap for an hour or two, but I am not sure he will ever STTN! He goes down at 9:30 and is up at 2:30 to nurse and then 6 am for the day. I am hoping he gets on solid foods at his 4 month check up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"