Cloth Diapering

I want to cloth diaper, but I have no idea what I'm doing

I just found out I was pregnant a few days ago. I have always wanted to cloth diaper but I'm having a hard time understanding how this all works.  My husband is against cloth diapering he says that our washer will be covered in poop, while I don't really believe that I'm not sure really how things work.  

I know I have seen some cloth diapers that come with inserts that you can wipe clean, and covers but what about just regular cloth diapers. If anyone could please explain the "ins" and "outs" of cloth diapering to me, I'd be so grateful. Thank you! 

Re: I want to cloth diaper, but I have no idea what I'm doing

• My husband and BIL both had the same issue with the "poop" washer mentality.  I am a first time mom and I am very excited about our cloth diapers. 

Being a first timer, I have been sucked into the Gro-Via hybrids/all in 2 option, as well as some lower cost all in ones for the newborn days(Kawaii Pure and Natural...they come in today!   A friend of mine has used them since day one and her son is now 6 months old and they still fit him!) as well as some Fuzzi Bunz.  I am by no means a pro, but I hope that this gives you somewhere to start.

image image image
  • See FAQs up top.

I've never seen poop in my washer. And if there are trace amounts left over from the massive wash, so what? Is your husband routinely licking the washer? 

• Loading the player...
  • Definitely read through the FAQ's at the top right of the page. I also found the book "Changing Diapers" really helpful as a starter how-to of all the basics - different types of diapers, pros and cons of each, how to care for them, etc. It's a short book with straightforward illustrations and lots of helpful links to other websites and resources, and it's nice to have it on-hand on the baby's dresser when I need to remind myself of this or that, does this diaper need a cover, how to prep these inserts, etc.

One step at a time - if I can do it, you can do it! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I haven't had any poop trouble in my washer... newborn poop is water soluble, older kids poop (solid) falls off into the toilet and can be flushed... and in between you can use a disposable liner or spray it off...

My husband wasn't keen on the idea of cd at first... but now that he sees how easy it is and that we don't have to run to the store to buy diapers anymore, he is happy...or at least doesn't grumble about it...It helps that I do the laundry (I'd rather do it myself than wonder if it was done right...) we're only 3 weeks in, and the $150 we spent on newborn diapers have almost already paid for themselves... She will be in the prefolds and newborn sized AIOs probably for another couple of months (she's 6 lbs now) so for the rest of the time we are using the newborn ones, we will be essentially diapering for free...He prefers using the AIOs and I bought a couple of newborn Kawaii pockets for him to use as well... I use mostly prefolds myself.

$10.97/ 30 pack of pampers swaddlers = 0.37 per diaper

12 diapers/day X  0.37/diaper X 22 days home from hospital = $97.68

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Keep lurking/asking questions here... also, I found that looking up videos on youtube really helped... I am a visual learner, so was totally overwhelmed by the choices available, until I saw a few videos explaining the difference... cloth diapering 101 is a good 7 part series.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Being overwelmed at first is completely normal. I think we all were. Tons of  you tube videos out there. Just jump in, you'll get it!

And there is no poop remnants in the washer. I look! PLus nerborns poop alot and with disposables your having alot of blowouts. Poop gets on the outfits which in turn get in the washer. Its bound to happen. I just believe the washer is meant to clean things. So clean the poop too!

• Thank you everyone.  I only know one person who cloth diapers so she is going to bring some buy and show me all my options.  I'm still early on, but I like to know what is going on and get my thoughts and ideas in order.  Thank you all for your comments.  I'll check out FAQ. Thanks again
  • Once you convince your DH the next thing to decide is what you want most from CDs.  Price?  Convenience?  Eco Friendly?  Made in USA?  There are so many choices out there, and answering those questions will help you narrow it down.  You've got time to figure it all out, but I suggest lurking for a while and watching some youtube videos before buying anything to get an idea of what good brands and types are out there.  If you've got any specific questions, feel free to ask. :)
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"