Breastfeeding

almost forced to quit

i had a steady plan to exclusively breastfeed for at least the first six months. i did this really well for the first three, but needless to say, the bottle was introduced when i had to go back to work. i was down to feeding him five or six times a day, and then out of nowhere my supply diminished so much that i could only feed once or twice a day, and that's still not much. maybe 4 oz from both sides. i was just about to spend a whole weekend vigorously pumping and feeding to try and get my supply back, when i came down with a terrible kidney infection. i went to the emergency room, where they prescribed me vicodin for the pain. i told them that i breastfeed and they need to give me percocet, but they wouldn't do it because "too many junkies come in here making up stories so they can get percocets." great. so now i've been on vicodin for about three days, i miss snuggling with my baby, and my boobs finally feel like they're about to pop. should i just leave well enough alone, or  try the pump-and-dump method until the vicodin is out of my system? how long does it take vicodin to leave your system? i'm so confused.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: almost forced to quit

• Uhm, contact your OB about getting percocet if you still feel like you need that. I personally do not know whether vicodin is ok for BF moms; call your OB or even your pharmacist can tell you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You need to stand up for your rights as a patient. 

If you are not nursing, and you want to continue to BF, you need to pump, as often as you would be nursing.  Yes, you have to dump it if Vicodin is not safe for babies, but if you don't then your supply will tank! 

FWIW, I did not know that Percocet was safe and Vicodin was not....so the staff may have picked up on the fact that you knew that and inferred that you were a "junkie" as you say.  Not saying what they did/said was right....but that might have been why.

• Loading the player...
  • imagejlsimon56:

You need to stand up for your rights as a patient. 

If you are not nursing, and you want to continue to BF, you need to pump, as often as you would be nursing.  Yes, you have to dump it if Vicodin is not safe for babies, but if you don't then your supply will tank! 

FWIW, I did not know that Percocet was safe and Vicodin was not....so the staff may have picked up on the fact that you knew that and inferred that you were a "junkie" as you say.  Not saying what they did/said was right....but that might have been why.

i figured they would jump to the same conclusion, and i told the nurse that the only reason i said something about it was because they gave me percocet after i had the baby for my pain. i thought they gave everybody percocet? oh well.

as far as standing up for myself, i always try to. but nurses intimidate me because they never take me seriously and as a result, they have an offensive disposition toward me. i try my hardest to avoid confrontation in all aspects, but i knew that vicodin wasn't the right choice. i said something and the nurse basically called me a junkie. so i guess i'll just have to fix it myself. i always give myself the short end of the stick.

• imageKCD053109:
    Uhm, contact your OB about getting percocet if you still feel like you need that. I personally do not know whether vicodin is ok for BF moms; call your OB or even your pharmacist can tell you.

i thought of this, but my obstretician won't see me anymore. long story short, they were trying to take advantage of my baby and i put a stop to it and now i'm on their "do not see" list. i don't have a family doctor, so my option was to go to the emergency room.

• I am pretty sure I was given vicodin after my c/s and I am BF'ing.  I took it for almost 2 weeks afterwards.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • ebp913ebp913 member

I have a friend with terrible migraines and she took Vicodin the whole time she was pregnant.  I'm guessing if it's safe for pregnany, it's save for breastfeeding. 

This is a very strange post.  You don't have a doctor, your OB kicked you out and the nurse thinks you are junkie?  Something doesn't add up here. 

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • I am also wondering how they were trying to take advantage of your baby.
  • My baby and I were on Medicaid and when he was born, the doctors kept trying to find things that were wrong with him so they could reap our benefits. Which wouldn't bother me that they were just making sure he was healthy, but they gave him two spinal taps without my permission, an MRI scan without my permission, and when I spoke with his new pediatrician about it, she said I should probably file a lawsuit against the hospital because there was nothing seemingly wrong with him and they chose the most expensive methods of "looking," instead of a simple urine or blood test. She also said they wouldn't have done all that if I had private insurance.

As for my not having a family doctor, it's because when I got pregnant I got Medicaid and the doctor I had been seeing prior to that didn't take Medicaid and I just never got around to finding a new one. I found the baby a pediatrician and I was happy.

• I knew that would confuse everybody, LOL. The OB that I went to was an extension of Mercy, which is the hospital I delivered at. It was located in the hospital and everything. I didn't think it would make a difference that the hospital was mad at me, but I went in to the OB for my 8-week checkup and when I got there, the secretary told me they couldn't see me because of what happened at the hospital.

Water under the bridge, I hated them anyway.

• imagebrookuhnina:

My baby and I were on Medicaid and when he was born, the doctors kept trying to find things that were wrong with him so they could reap our benefits. Which wouldn't bother me that they were just making sure he was healthy, but they gave him two spinal taps without my permission, an MRI scan without my permission, and when I spoke with his new pediatrician about it, she said I should probably file a lawsuit against the hospital because there was nothing seemingly wrong with him and they chose the most expensive methods of "looking," instead of a simple urine or blood test. She also said they wouldn't have done all that if I had private insurance.

As for my not having a family doctor, it's because when I got pregnant I got Medicaid and the doctor I had been seeing prior to that didn't take Medicaid and I just never got around to finding a new one. I found the baby a pediatrician and I was happy.

This doesn't make any sense.   OB's don't take care of babies, they wouldn't be involved in any decision making regarding a lumbar puncture or MRI for a baby.  Sorry but I don't believe your story. There is more here you aren't admitting to. 

ETA: I've treated TONS of UTI's in my patients and it is exceedingly rare for someone to require narcotics.  If they do, it's just for a day until the ABX start working.  If a patient came in asking for a particular pain medication, especially percocet or oxycodone (generic), I would question it too. 

• I BF, and they definitely gave me Vicodin after my c-section. You should be fine to pump and give baby the milk...unless you have other meds too.
  • imageBelleWithABlade:

This doesn't make any sense.   OB's don't take care of babies, they wouldn't be involved in any decision making regarding a lumbar puncture or MRI for a baby.  Sorry but I don't believe your story. There is more here you aren't admitting to. 

ETA: I've treated TONS of UTI's in my patients and it is exceedingly rare for someone to require narcotics.  If they do, it's just for a day until the ABX start working.  If a patient came in asking for a particular pain medication, especially percocet or oxycodone (generic), I would question it too. 

Well, you can not believe me all you want, but I have no reason to lie to a message board. I clearly said that the OB didn't do anything with the baby. The OB wouldn't see me anymore because it's the same facility that I had problems with. And that's my whole issue, that they did all kinds of unneccessary and painful things to my newborn for no reason at all. So when I found out from nurses that weren't even taking care of my son that all this was going on, yeah I flipped out on them.

I NEVER asked for any pain medication when I went to the emergency room, they offered it because they could see how much pain I was in. The only thing I wanted from them was some antibiotic. I was crying and throwing up, it hurt so bad. There was blood in my urine. And when they told me they wrote a prescription for Vicodin, I told them I couldn't take it because I'm breastfeeding and they said, "Oh well."

On a further note, I never said that YOUR facility treated patients this way. I said that MINE did. I can show you my prescriptions if you're that worried about it. I've had problems with Mercy hospitals since before my son was born, and as a matter of fact, it was a Mercy hospital that prescribed Vicodin for my kidney infection. Every experience I've ever had with Mercy has shown me that they don't care about their patients.

I don't know exactly what you're insinuating, but it kind of sounds like you're saying I'm on a mission to get drugs. How about a news flash? I'm a parent. I don't do drugs. Never have. I've never even drank a beer in my entire life. I'm pretty sure if I wanted drugs, I wouldn't have tried to turn them down. And so far, I've only taken two of the twelve they gave me because the pills make me sick. So take your accusations somewhere.

• imagek3montel:
    I BF, and they definitely gave me Vicodin after my c-section. You should be fine to pump and give baby the milk...unless you have other meds too.

They also put me on an antibiotic called Bactrin. I'm going to Google it.

• imagebrookuhnina:

imagek3montel:
    I BF, and they definitely gave me Vicodin after my c-section. You should be fine to pump and give baby the milk...unless you have other meds too.

I was told by our family doctor that abx are fine while breastfeeding. If you're not taking the Vicodin anyway, I'd pump/nurse as much as you can to get your supply back.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagebrookuhnina:
    imageBelleWithABlade:

Well, you can not believe me all you want, but I have no reason to lie to a message board. I clearly said that the OB didn't do anything with the baby. The OB wouldn't see me anymore because it's the same facility that I had problems with. And that's my whole issue, that they did all kinds of unneccessary and painful things to my newborn for no reason at all. So when I found out from nurses that weren't even taking care of my son that all this was going on, yeah I flipped out on them.

I NEVER asked for any pain medication when I went to the emergency room, they offered it because they could see how much pain I was in. The only thing I wanted from them was some antibiotic. I was crying and throwing up, it hurt so bad. There was blood in my urine. And when they told me they wrote a prescription for Vicodin, I told them I couldn't take it because I'm breastfeeding and they said, "Oh well."

On a further note, I never said that YOUR facility treated patients this way. I said that MINE did. I can show you my prescriptions if you're that worried about it. I've had problems with Mercy hospitals since before my son was born, and as a matter of fact, it was a Mercy hospital that prescribed Vicodin for my kidney infection. Every experience I've ever had with Mercy has shown me that they don't care about their patients.

I don't know exactly what you're insinuating, but it kind of sounds like you're saying I'm on a mission to get drugs. How about a news flash? I'm a parent. I don't do drugs. Never have. I've never even drank a beer in my entire life. I'm pretty sure if I wanted drugs, I wouldn't have tried to turn them down. And so far, I've only taken two of the twelve they gave me because the pills make me sick. So take your accusations somewhere.

Sorry, just don't buy it....It's very hard to fire a patient, there has to be a good reason.  You should re-read your post, you said they gave you vicodin and you said you asked for percocet...How would you even know to ask for a different one if you have no experience with them huh?

• imagebrookuhnina:

imagek3montel:

I'm not going to comment on the rest of your posts because I don't have anything to add or offer, but I will just say that I was put on Bactrim once and it's some pretty nasty stuff.  I broke out in hives all over and had really bad headaches.  It's the only time I've ever had a reaction to a medication, and ever since then I tell all doctors and nurses that I have a sulfa allergy.  Just keep an eye out for side effects because one side effect is a potentially fatal skin condition called Stevens-Johnson syndrome.  If you have any issues, call your doctor right away to see if you should stop taking it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"