Breastfeeding
Options

How do you know it's time to start solids?

I'm EBF and would like to start solids at 6-7 months. Actually I would like to not start them for much longer. I'm not keen on the idea of getting AF (I know not everyone does) because I'm paranoid about losing my supply those weeks like some of my friends did. My LO is 5 months and doesn't seem interested in solids...why and when do I have to start? Is there any reason to not delay longer? How would I know it was time? I've googled and I'm not finding much that is definitive. I'm seeing that some babies need other nutrients sooner and some can EBF till a year. How would I know if my baby needed more nutrients? 

Re: How do you know it's time to start solids?

• Options

There is a lot of good information on kellymom.com with information on when to start solids and how to know your baby is ready.  I would let your baby be your guide.  When he is ready, he'll grab the food and put it in his mouth!  Simple!

Some other reading:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21872699

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19161546

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11301932

• Options

We started when he could pick up food and eat it. That seemed really clear to me.

The vast majority of babies can be EBF to 6 months, so I wouldn't rush it. Make sure to introduce meat and other iron sources fairly quickly.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My daughter just started feeding herself. Her first foods have been strange. She really enjoyed coleslaw just a few days after her "first food" experience. When they start reaching, watching, putting in mouth etc then it's time. 

In terms of nutrients, they don't really need any until later, so that's not going to be your first clue.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:

We started when he could pick up food and eat it. That seemed really clear to me.

The vast majority of babies can be EBF to 6 months, so I wouldn't rush it. Make sure to introduce meat and other iron sources fairly quickly.

This was us.  We played around with purees until 8 mos, but DD didn't like them, I was pretty lazy about giving them and she didn't eat enough to affect my supply.  At 8 mos old she was ready and started eating small chunks of soft foods with her fingers.  AF returned at 9 mos. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    I did not start solids until 10 months as I was Esclusively Breastfeeding. Actually I was told that your baby dosen't need extra nutrients if you are eating healthy then the baby is getting healthy nutrients. I also either took a vitiam OR gave my baby a vitiam and didn't have to start solids unless I wanted to. I breastfeed all 4 of my children and am still breastfeeding my youngest child, he is 1 1/2 yrs old and he is very healthy. I have not even started him on milk yet because breastfeeding mothers don't need to give there babies solids OR milk if you are breastfeeding. That is just my opion as Breastfmilkg is still the MAIN source of food for your baby, but it is up to you when you want to start :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"