3rd Trimester
Options

38 weeks, one leg swollen, blood clot?

So my last pregnancy I had cankles for my entire 2nd and 3rd trimester, but this pregnancy I have only had a few days with moderate swelling that went away over night.  Since yesterday afternoon my right ankle is very swollen, sore and stiff and my left leg has no swelling.  My skin coloring and temp is the same on both ankles. I just had my 38 week check up yesterday and I gained 7 pounds in 1 week, so it's very possible that I am just starting to retain a lot of fluid, but it makes me nervous that all the swelling is in one leg.  I live 2 hours from the clinic, so I really don't want to drive back today to get checked out.

Have you had similar symptoms and what did your doctor do or say? Or if you have had a blood clot/DVT what were your symptoms?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 38 weeks, one leg swollen, blood clot?

• Options
    I've had way less swelling my 2nd pregnancy as well.  Did you have this swelling at your appt?  Was the Dr concerned then?
  • Options

I don't have much advise, I would call the clinic, but wanted to let you know that my ankle swelling has been completely lopsided my entire pregnancy.   My left foot is a cankle, my right ankle is considerably less swollen.  I would try to put your feet up as much as possible today, and call the OB.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My right foot/ankle is always significantly more swollen than the left as well. My OB said it was very common as people tend to favor one side and lean when they stand. She said if it's a blood clot it will be red, warm, and painful as well as swollen. Not saying that you shouldn't get it checked out if you're concerned, but it is normal to have one side more puffy than the other.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would definately call your Dr and see what they think.  Hopefully it is nothing, but not diagnosing a clot can be bad bad news.  You may be able to go to a local ER and have a vein ultrasound without going all the way into your Dr.  I hope everything is allright.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options
    My swelling is all in my right foot and ankle for the entire pregnancy so far.  My left looks almost completely normal.  My doctor said it was normal to have swelling on one side and sometimes that is because the baby is on that side.  I would probably call your doctor though as your are having soreness and stiffness.  I don't feel sore or stiff and the swelling actually doesn't bother me at all except for when it gets really bad and it makes my foot feel a little numb.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
     I had this happen at six months pg. my ob sent me to the er for it. Granted, I was going on an international flight the next day. At the hospital they did an u/s of my leg. Everything was ok, but def worth a call to the doc.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My right leg swells considerably more than my left (which hardly swells). When I was pregnant with my 1st DD, I panicked when it first happened and ran to the dr, thinking blood clot (it doesn't help that my dad is a dr and put the idea in my head!) They assured me it was fine since my leg didn't hurt, and it wasn't red or warm. It also went away after elevating my leg for awhile and was much better in the mornings than evenings... The dr said this was a good sign as well. It is happening again with this pregnancy, although it's not as bad as it was with DD. I'm not worried this time around though, since I've already been through it (and I did mention it to the OB, but he didn't think anything of it)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would definately call your Dr and see what they thing.  Hopefully it is nothing, but not diagnosing a clot can be bad bad news.  You may be able to go to a local ER and have a vein ultrasound without going all the way into your Dr.  I hope everything is allright.

• Options

I would definately call your Dr and see what they thing.  Hopefully it is nothing, but not diagnosing a clot can be bad bad news.  You may be able to go to a local ER and have a vein ultrasound without going all the way into your Dr.  I hope everything is allright.

• Options
     Yup, my LO is doing the same thing. Of course, there's never anything wrong with addressing it with your OB, but I think the difference in movement is normal at this stage. As PP said, hiccups count, too :)

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    unlikey if there is an abscence of warmth and redness. given your weight gain i'd say its fluid, which is common to have only in one leg. no pain is also reassuring. i wouldn't worry
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"