June 2012 Moms

Moms who plan on formula feeding right away

I was just wondering if in the hospital they give you formula? or Should I bring my own? I mean I only have one container of simulac just incase it doesn't do well with LOs tummy, but how do they know what will settle with LO and what won't? Or is it just kind of a trial and error kind of deal.

Re: Moms who plan on formula feeding right away

• My hospital gives formula and it's really just trial by fire. I started DS on Similac advanced and then moved him to similac sensitive. We'll see what we end up on this time. 
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • BRBR member
    Mine gave us Enfamil for newborns.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When I had DD, the hospital offered formula, but I don't know which kind. On our tour this time around, we were told the hospital will not give baby formula unless there is a medical reason to- low blood sugar, jaundice, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our hospital gave us Similac.  One of my babies had trouble with the first formula (he was spitting up too much of it), so they switched us to Similac Alimentum.  The only sucky thing is that now that we are home, the Alimentum is twice as much money as the other formulas.  It does work much better for my son though, as he is spitting up much less than he did that first day. 

Our hospital was actually really nice about me formula feeding.  The lactation consultant came in shortly after I gave birth, and she had my medical history already.  She was not pushy about breast feeding at all, and seemed relieved that I realized that breast feeding might not be a good option for me (I've had two surgeries on my breasts, so I am missing a lot of tissue from one side, and I have a lack of sensation that works against breast feeding).

Me: 37 Dx: PCOS 10/09, started Clomid 8/10
    DH: 40 Dx: MFI 6/11
    IVF #1: Lupron
  • Find out if your hospital is a baby friendly one, this means they encourage rooming in and BFing, so they dont offer formula like they used to, or if its completely necessary. 
  • I heard that all hospitals are supplied with free formula, and that they are happy to give it to you.  Just make sure you have some newborn nipples-- apparently, this is important.
  • Have you done your hospital tour yet? Or completed your pre-registration?

With my 3 pregnancies they have asked if I was BFing or FFing.  My second had to go to the NICU, my first was still very young and pumping was not an option.  They supplied formula and even sent us home with a ton of the pre-mades.

I will be FFing from the beginning with my 3rd and they confirmed formula will be there - which is typically why they ask you when you register for labor/delivery.

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My hospital said to let them know if we have a preference. We used Enfamil with DS and plan on using that again with DD.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • So I am thinking maybe I should just bring both kinds of formula I have. They can't tell me I am not allowed to FF right ? I don't care if the lactation consultant is against it, I am the mom. I have not pre registered at my hospital yet, and my OB hasn't asked me about it at all, so I guess my next appt i'll just have to ask them about it. Thanks ladies !

• They should not tell you that ou can't FF! Plenty of moms are unable to BF due to medical reasons, and I would think hospitals would understand that. 

• I am planning to try to give him the colostrum and then go to formula.  With my first son, I had every intention of BF but my milk never came.  I tried hot showers, Mother's Milk tea, oatmeal, pumping, and finally got a prescription from my OB- nothing worked.  It was incredibly frustrating.  Formula worked great for us and I'm just going to make it easier on myself this time.  I didn't think about taking some to the hospital with me though, so I'd better throw a bottle and a small can in my bag.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"