3rd Trimester

Massage at Chiropractor's Office

I have been seeing a chiropractor for the last month or so and will be seeing the massage therapist this afternoon at the chiropractor's office for the first time (massage will be billed through my insurance).  While I would always tip for a massage at a spa, what is proper tipping etiquette for one at a doctor's office?  Thanks.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Massage at Chiropractor's Office

• Huh...I'd like to know this too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My massage therapist is in my chiro's office but it's private pay and I tip.  She's just renting a space from the office. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never tipped for the massage at chiro, though I do tip for massage at a spa.

Since I don't tip the chiro or physical therapist at the same facility for the treatment they provide, I've never even thought I might need to tip the massage therapist. It seems like its more of a medical treatment than a service (i.e. would you tip your doctor or dentist?) ... though maybe I've been doing this wrong all these years!

ETA: Part of the reason I've never tipped the massage therapist at chiro is that it's also part of the chiro's treatment. He sometimes has me get massage therapy before he does the adjustment, to help losen the problem areas. It's specific and pinpointed to augment the chiro treatment, and part of the chiro's provided treatment...maybe that's why I never thought of it in the same way?

BabyFruit Ticker
  •  I had two massages at a my chiro's office and did not tip. There wasnt a tip box or any indication that I needed to. The massage wasnt like a spa, I could hear other people kids etc.

My OB gave me a referal for massage and my insurance was accepted here but the massage was not covered bc I didnt have a accident. I didnt know until after two massages. And I had to pay out of pocket for them. And we have awesome insurance.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • khill86khill86 member

I see a massage therapist at a joint RMT practice (not a spa). It is just two RMT partners. I never tip. They are business owners, so to me, they do not require a tip. I know they are the ones receiving my money. It doesn't go to a business owner, renting a table, or whatever before they get their cut.

I guess it would depend on the function of the massage therapist. If they rent the space out of the chiro's office, I suppose that would warrant a tip (whereas if they were part of the practice, I'd say no tip). BUT, I feel like getting a massage at a chiro's office is more of a medical service than a relaxation or spa service. In that case, I wouldn't tip.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageluvmygoofyguy:

ETA: Part of the reason I've never tipped the massage therapist at chiro is that it's also part of the chiro's treatment. He sometimes has me get massage therapy before he does the adjustment, to help losen the problem areas. It's specific and pinpointed to augment the chiro treatment, and part of the chiro's provided treatment...maybe that's why I never thought of it in the same way?

Yeah, this for me too.  I don't choose to go to her, they decide.  Actually, I prefer when the chiro does everything, as she applies more pressure.   I like it rough  :-)

If I was specifically going to see the message therapist and it wasn't covered by insurance, then I think a tip would be appropriate.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I usually tip $10. A couple of times I tipped $8 because that was all I had. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageRR081906:

I have been seeing a chiropractor for the last month or so and will be seeing the massage therapist this afternoon at the chiropractor's office for the first time (massage will be billed through my insurance).  While I would always tip for a massage at a spa, what is proper tipping etiquette for one at a doctor's office?  Thanks.

As a former CMT (massage therapist) I ALWAYS tip the massage therapist. If you work at a spa, the most you make is $20/hour or per massage. When you work "for yourself" at a Chiro, you are usually working under their license. Therefore, they're either taking a percentage of what the therapist is making, or the therapist is renting a room. When they do a room rental, they have to pay rent and also pay for things like: laundry, linens, table rental, supplies, etc. long story short, it they don't make much money when working at a chiropractic office. If your insurance covers the massage, and you can afford to tip, always tip!

~ Mrs. G
  • My chiropractor owns/runs his office; so in this case, it's like the hair salon rule - no need to tip if your stylist is the owner.  I also feel that if it's your chiropractor themselves giving the massage, then it's part of the treatment that you're already paying for and it's not necessary to tip.

Like others have said, if it's a massage therapist that works under the chiropractor, I would tip.

Why not ask your chiropractor or the administrative assistant what's appropriate?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers image Home Birth Pictures, Images and Photos
  • imageGypsyEsq:
    My massage therapist is in my chiro's office but it's private pay and I tip.  She's just renting a space from the office. 

this is the norm.  The massage therapists rent the space, so a tip is highly recommended.

Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"