1st Trimester

Seeing a heartbeat

I'm reading a book written by two Drs and it says that "Women whose u/s show a visible or audible fetal heart rate in the 1st trimester have a miscarriage rate of less than 3%." Just thought that this would be reassuring for you ladies who have seen or heard a heartbeat and those of you who soon will.....
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Seeing a heartbeat

• CocoR04CocoR04 member
    Thanks for sharing this stat... I know we are all worried about that first appt.  
  • THANK YOU so much for sharing that. I saw a heartbeat last week :) My doctor did say that the chance of a ms is very low now but still not out of the woods until the 2nd trimester. I had a ms back in March and I am so worried that it will happen again. So thank you for sharing that. It has put my mind at ease :)
    Married My Best Friend 5/21/2010
    Madison Paige arrived 1/8/2013

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for sharing. My doctor said the same. He said once we see a HB our chance of MS becomes very low. It was reassuring to hear and now we are just waiting till June 4 to see that miracle.
  • We haven't heard ours yet but we got to see it and they printed out a pix with the bpm. That's why it was nice that it was see or hear.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I hate to be the debbie downer, but I saw my baby's heartbeat last time at 6.5 weeks, was told now you only have a 3% chance of losing it and still lost it at 12 weeks.  You really are not "out of the woods" until you are holding that baby. Should you be worried and terrified of losing your baby for 9 months, no! But things happen that you have no control over, so you just have to have faith and enjoy every minute that you are pregnant. This time around, I havent looked at one statistic, percentage, nothing bc frankly, it doesnt mean anything. You will be fine, but dont worry about percentages, worry about yourself and your growing baby!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageamazing22324:
    I hate to be the debbie downer, but I saw my baby's heartbeat last time at 6.5 weeks, was told now you only have a 3% chance of losing it and still lost it at 12 weeks.  You really are not "out of the woods" until you are holding that baby. Should you be worried and terrified of losing your baby for 9 months, no! But things happen that you have no control over, so you just have to have faith and enjoy every minute that you are pregnant. This time around, I havent looked at one statistic, percentage, nothing bc frankly, it doesnt mean anything. You will be fine, but dont worry about percentages, worry about yourself and your growing baby!

3% is still a percentage it just gives a bit of piece of mind to know that it decreases. 

• imageamazing22324:
    I hate to be the debbie downer, but I saw my baby's heartbeat last time at 6.5 weeks, was told now you only have a 3% chance of losing it and still lost it at 12 weeks.  You really are not "out of the woods" until you are holding that baby. Should you be worried and terrified of losing your baby for 9 months, no! But things happen that you have no control over, so you just have to have faith and enjoy every minute that you are pregnant. This time around, I havent looked at one statistic, percentage, nothing bc frankly, it doesnt mean anything. You will be fine, but dont worry about percentages, worry about yourself and your growing baby!

This was me too, twice.

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm sorry for you ladies. That is a hard thing to go through during any time of the pregnancy. Hoping this is a H&H pregnancy for all of us.
  • imageJbosarge85:
    I'm sorry for you ladies. That is a hard thing to go through during any time of the pregnancy. Hoping this is a H&H pregnancy for all of us.

Amen! :)

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagedunvilles:

imageamazing22324:

This was me too, twice.

Yep. Same here.  Saw the heartbeat at 7 weeks and lost the baby a week later.  

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• I saw the heartbeat three times.  Now I know the u/s was "abnormal" from the beginning, but thank you for expressing your thougths to those that have had losses, as percentages are hard to care about.  We dont wish to alarm you, but we unfortunately have been beaten over the heads with "reality" sticks, and many of us believe in speaking the truth  I hope we all end up in third tri together!   I appreciate seeing your posts caring for my fellow PGALers losses. 
    imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BFP 6/12/11, MMC@ around 9wks, D&C 8/23/11 at 12wks BFP#2 Jan 2012 CP 1/19/12 **Miss you baby*** PGAL/PAL Very Welcome For I know the plans I have for you,
  • That's exactly what my OB said, she mentioned that at the beginning you have a 15-20% chance of m/c but once you see the heartbeat you're down to 2-3%. Knowing that statistic though seems to make late term losses even more sad though.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    blog
    Diagnosed hypothyroidism.
  • hmonttyhmontty member

It's a nice stat, but I saw and heard a HB with PG#1 and still lost the pregnancy -- and I know countless other women in the same boat. I don't give it much credence.

As far as being "in the clear," that does not happen until the baby is born -- and even then, there could be issues.

Although I am sure I will feel pretty good if we get through our NT scan OK, honestly, I don't start feeling "secure" until 16 weeks. Just from all the stories I have heard, through 15 weeks seems to be more of a cutoff than 12 or 13 (or however you count the second tri). It seems to me that miscarriages really decline at this time.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had my first transvaginal u/s Thursday, May 17th at which time my OB stated that I was just at 6w along. She was not able to see the heartbeat at that time, which she said was completely normal. My HcG level Thursday was at 4000. It went from that to 13400 by Monday morning. My OB said it wasn't a true double but that it was high enough of a jump that they were not concerned at all. I asked her if I could get excited now and she said, when we see the heartbeat during your next u/s, I will tell you that you can be excited but that everything was pointing in a very good direction. My u/s appointment is Tuesday, May 29th and I'm freaking out!!! This pregnancy was a complete surprise as my DH and I spent years doing fertility treatments and IUI cycles with 6 miscarriages in total and we were told when we had decided to stop treatments that I would never conceive on my own due to severe PCOS. I have NEVER wanted ANYTHING more than I want THIS baby.... just thought I would share. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers It's a boy!!!
  • Well that makes me feel better :) I wasn't worried per se, as my family seems to be pretty strongly fertile, but it's easy to let my mind stray to paranoid. I think my BF may have been a little worried though.
    Lilypie - (KUub)  Lilypie - (x7FR)

Daisypath - (cVUA)   Daisypath - (CnD8)

• Just a quick update.... My appointment last Tuesday went perfect! I was able to see the heartbeat and the baby was measuring at 6w5d (give or take 2-3 days) according to the OB. My next appointment is Tuesday June 12 at 11:15am... I am terrified but hopelessly excited! How is everyone else doing?
  • Add me to the list of people who is not relieved by that statistic.  Once you see your baby's heartbeat and then lose the baby it's just an ugly reminder that statistics don't mean anything when you are on the other side of them.  :(

Statistically, the odds that I would have had 4 consecutive losses and have no known causes are slim to none as well . . . Statistics are just a cruel joke.
    ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • littlemaybaby: I know exactly where you are coming from. So excited to be pregnant again after so many losses but so nervous that every, no any, little thing can go wrong... almost like you're always praying it doesn't but waiting for it to happen. I will keep you in my prayers =0) and I will send plenty of sticky baby thoughts your way =0)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"