Breastfeeding

How do I manage a toddler (will be 2 in July) and BF a newborn? Help!

My little one is now 11 days old.  We have just managed to get past the painful portion of initial breastfeeding (sore nipples, engorgement etc).  Now that i'm starting to get the hang of things I want to start focusing on my toddler more.  He is 22 months.  My husband is home for 3 weeks (1 1/2 weeks left) and I am not sure how I will be able to manage no sleep, bfing a newborn every 1 1/2-2 hours and make sure my toddler gets enough attention/stays out of mayhem. 

The next thing I am worried about is going back to work at 6 weeks...I have to build up some sort of stash to start work and I'm already in a time constraint... Any recs?  I really want to BF but formula is looking better and better (not as good as breast milk but I won't lose my sanity).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do I manage a toddler (will be 2 in July) and BF a newborn? Help!

• slukd79slukd79 member
    Its doable, but hard! I have a 2 month old and a 28 month old-- I have managed to find time to get an extra pumping session for a stash with the promise of Sesame Street for my older little one. You can do it if you want to, but it is trickier than the first time. Big Smile
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Its tough! I would suggest getting your 22 month old busy before feeding special toy, favorite show, snack, etc so hopefully he will stay out of trouble and you can feed and pump .  (I have a 22 month old and a 2 month old)
  • Loading the player...
  • kel716kel716 member

I found these suggestions to be helpful.  https://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/tips-newborn-toddler/

I have a 3.5 year old, so that's a little different but comparable.  The biggest thing has been trying to find things that hold his attention.  He's watched a little more TV than I've wanted him to, but not as much as I thought he would.  Books have been hugely helpful. 

Also, each week things have gotten easier.  So even though it seems like an impossible task now, it will get easier.  My DH went back to work when I was 4 days PP, leaving me to do bedtime on my own more than 50% of the time.  I was very nervous, but in time it's gotten a lot easier.  You really do get used to what you know. 

• You will be surprised, they adjust pretty quick. My son plays or watches tv. They learn patience which is good.  I would do extra pumping after early morning feeding and after nighttime feeding before I went. To sleep. Still do that now. Your body thinks. U need that much after awhile and now I have my whole deep freeze full
  • Try babywearing! I only have 1, but I was able to do so much with DD in a ring sling. She could BF or nap while I got stuff done. I imagine it would be useful if you have a toddler as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"