Baby Names

Girl Name Debate

Dh and I are having a very hard time with girl names...we had no issues with our son and had a boy named picked out for this one.

He wants to use Blythe.  I do not like it... it is too unusual for me.

I want to use Claire.   He does not like it... says the breakfast club "fat girl" joke will cause teasing.

We can come up with 3 compromise names that both of us could likely live with, but each have a downside.

We have went through a 500 page babybook and not found anything else and spent in total about 15 hours on nymbler... so it not like we have not thought of other options... we just don't like anything.

The compromise names are below (and the downsides).

Sydney Claire- cute, like... worried it is trendy and I usually hate trendy, but this name for some reason does not bother me.   Just worried I will regret later... DH has no rerservations and likes it a lot (it is his 2nd choice name after Blythe which I veto).

Emma Alexandra-- ok.  Don't think i would regret, but it is just ok.  Emma is so popular and she does not "feel" like an Emma to me.  Both of us are ok with it, neither really likes it.  

Katherine Claire-- classic ok name.  Won't regret it.  have no emotional attachement to it.  Dh also very neutral on it.    I absolutely hate Kathy, Kit, and Katie as nicknames.   Don't love Kat or Kate, but could deal with it if someone called her that.  

We have thrown around Lily (but I don't want to use nickname as full name and he hates Lillian or Lilliana), Nora (but our son's name is Nicholas and we don't like the Nick and Nora movie reference), and Alexandra (but with Nicholas sounds like we are naming after Russian czars). 

Which would you pick and why? 

Re: Girl Name Debate

• I think Sydney is WAY overdone. I wouldn't use Claire as a FB because it's way up there in popularity. Emma is, too, FYI.

Emma Alexadra is ok, but doesn't flow particularly well.

From the names you mentioned, what about:

Emma Katherine?

Alexandra Claire? 

Not in TX any more! - Central PA
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sesigssesigs member
    I personally like Claire (or spelled Clare like the county in Ireland which is cute if you have any Irish heritage in your family!). Also, I honestly don't think that by the time she is in school/teasing age any other kids would know the Breakfast Club reference. And if any adults make that reference they are just jerks! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCARunner:

Lordy that was long.  How far along are you?  Maybe take some time before going into crazy analytical mode.

(I am not trying to make fun of you or anything, your post just seems intense).

That said, don't compromise on a name. Take some time.  Names will come to you.  You'll see names places or hear names that you'll like. 

I am just starting 3rd trimester.    we had a surprise with #1... and never could decide on a girl name (and decided on boy one at 5 weeks pregnant and never waivered).  We talked about it for the 2 years in between and I just don't think waiting is going to help anything.   I just don't operate that way (I wish i did):)

sorry it was long!

• BLPL101BLPL101 member
    I absolutely love Katherine Claire. I have an aunt Kathryn and no one calls her by a nickname. Katherine and Claire are two of my fave girl names.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I like Alexandra. I don't think many people will pick up on the czar thing.

Lily could be a nn for Lilith which reminds me of your husbands first choice. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I don't like Emma, Claire, Lily or Katherine because they bore me. The popularity of them makes them NMS.

Otherwise, I don't think you should pick Katherine or Emma since you are feeling just "blah" about them. I think you should pick a name you  can both be excited about.

And I'm not crazy about Lily, but I think it'd be perfectly acceptable to name her Lily and not a "full" name like Lilliana or Lillian.

Like I said, I don't like trendy or popular, BUT I don't really mind Sydney.

Out of all the names you listed, I'd have to say my favorite is Blythe. It's uncommon, pretty and goes well with Nick.

BFP #1 - 11/7/12 * M/C - 12/8/12 @ 7W6D
    BFP #2 - 3/2/13 * DS1 - BORN ON EDD - 11/13/13
    BFP #3 - 11/7/14 * DS2 - BORN ON EDD - 07/21/15 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• What about Blair? It would be a compromise between Blythe and Claire.

I don't think anyone even remotely close to your DD's age group will get the breakfast club reference. I don't even think of that when I hear Claire. That said, if he doesn't like it he doesn't like it.

Of your other three options I think you should choose Sydney Claire. I'm basing this on your comments about each of the names. It sounds like you both actually like it the most out of the three and are kind of neutral/"meh" about the other two. Sounds like your only real concern about the name is its potential trendiness. I agree it is much less classic sounding than the other two and fits in with many of the girl naming trends of today. But, I actually think it's a sweet name (and I usually don't like trendy either). Her name will not be considered weird by her generation. And I don't hear Sydney a whole lot, so it's a bit refreshing, to me anyway.

Have you "tried out" the name yet. In other words, have you and DH spent time calling the baby Sydney to see how it feels? If not, maybe you should give it a shot. You may fall in love with it. Or you can just wait until the baby is born and see what name "fits."

• I agree with PP. Your language suggests that you really like Sydney more than your other choices..

Also, I don't think it's really that popular. It's currently ranked #65, and I don't seeing escalating crazily the way I think Cora, Declan, etc. are going to, bc it has a very specific sound and will never be a name for the masses. If you like it, I'd say go with it.

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • imageMamaofthesea:

I don't think anyone even remotely close to your DD's age group will get the breakfast club reference. I don't even think of that when I hear Claire. That said, if he doesn't like it he doesn't like it.

Of your other three options I think you should choose Sydney Claire. I'm basing this on your comments about each of the names. It sounds like you both actually like it the most out of the three and are kind of neutral/"meh" about the other two. Sounds like your only real concern about the name is its potential trendiness. I agree it is much less classic sounding than the other two and fits in with many of the girl naming trends of today. But, I actually think it's a sweet name (and I usually don't like trendy either). Her name will not be considered weird by her generation. And I don't hear Sydney a whole lot, so it's a bit refreshing, to me anyway.

I teach high school seniors, and their idea of an old movie is Mean Girls.  Kids born today will definitely not associate the name Claire with The Breakfast Club.  That said, if your husband has a strongly negative association with the name, then it's off the table.

"Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry."
  • emikatemikat member

I have no idea what the reference is in The Breakfast Club and I've seen the movie. Albeit, a long time ago.  I like the name Claire.  

That said, I like Sydney Claire or Lily Claire as possibilities out of what you mentioned.  I don't think Sydney is over-popular.   

TTC 10/11. IUI 2/12. BFP 3/8/12. 4/26/12 missed mc. RE consult 5/17/12. IVF #1 ER 7/13/12 53R, 41M ICSIed, 32F, 8 5d, 6 6d blasts - all PGD/frozen. PGD results 1 normal M and 1 normal F, 1 maybe M. FET 9/6, transferred 1 F embie. Beta 9/15 BFN. FET#2 planned for 11/2012 put off until 2013. Surprise BFP 11/21/12!! My son was born on 7/24/13!

FET 4/28/2015 - Transferred 1 M embie. 5/6/15 BFP!

• wklj875wklj875 member
    hands down I like Alexandra Claire or Alexandria Claire
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My vote would be for Alexandra Claire, but then I am kind of partial because Alexandra is my name. 

And to put your mind at ease about the Nicholas & Alexandra thing...my brother is actually Nicholas and we have a very Russian sounding last name (even though it's not Russian) and I only remember getting the Russian Czar thing once and it was at a dentist office.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I love Katherine (although my personal preference is with a C) and I think Nick and Kate is cute together. 

I also like Sydney.

Emma is a beautiful name but I am just so freakin sick of it at this point... almost like a "we give up" name. 

I am with your husband on not being able to shake the "fat girl" line with the name Claire.  That name never really did it for me anyways.

• CTA7CTA7 member
    I really like Sydney. I haven't met anyone named that except a law school classmate... Maybe it's only popular in some regions?
    12/1/11 BFP, missed m/c diagnosed @ 9w2d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was going to suggest Blaire - a combination between Blythe and Claire.

I like Claire better than Blythe - don't think anyone will think about the Breakfast Club in her age group. 

Katherine does nothing for me and although Emma is beautiful, it's sort of become the new Jessica - just so common now. 

• Katherine Claire is my favorite on your list.  I love Claire but if YH isn't loving it for a first name I think it's great in the MN spot too!  Katherine is a classic and not as popular as your other names (I don't think...)
    My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I like Katherine Claire the best of your choices.

Have you considered Lillia, Lilibeth Or Romilly as full names for Lily?

**TW** TTC History
    TTC#3 since Nov 2020 at ages 35 & 39
    TTC#1 - 2 IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 2 miscarriages (LC age 4)
    TTC#2 - a very welcome surprise without intervention (LC age 2)

• What about Clara? 
    I actually agree with your DH about the name Claire. Our friends named their daughter Claire and that was my first thought! LOL!  But I am a movie junkie...

I REALLY dislike Blythe. 

Emma and Katherine completely bore me.  Lily is so popular and Alexandra is just too long IMO. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ZimgerZimger member

Perhaps Emma Claire...

Sydney isn't my style but if you guys agree on it and like it I wouldn't worry about trendy or not. My sons name is very popular lately but it was a nice name that ages well and we both really liked it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"