Natural Birth

Placenta encapsulation question

I figured this was the best place to ask about this as it is definitely not a mainstream thing to do just yet. Actually a two part question:

-How much would/did you pay for placenta encapsulation? I don't have the option of shopping around, since there is only one person in my province who provides this service. She charges 150$ for the capsules or 120$ for just the powder (or 190$ for placenta tincture, salve, and prints along with the capsules, but I'm not really interested in that stuff). Is this a reasonable price?

-The woman who does it is located in a town about 1-1.5 hours away from where I live, so I would have to ship it to her (or have DH drive it out- I don't really want to ask anyone else to do this, since I'm nervous about being judged about it), which means packing it in a cooler with ice, which makes me a little nervous. Has anyone done this before?  

Thanks. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
VOTE on my Name List

Re: Placenta encapsulation question

• I paid $250, so I would say that $150 is a deal. 

GL 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• My birth center offers it for $150, I think. So sounds about right. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I charge $150.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagepinksweetpea2:

I paid $250, so I would say that $150 is a deal. 

GL 

This. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I paid $200 or $250 I think.  My MW for this baby charges $200. 

I would see if she's willing at all to come pick it up (even if you have to pay more) and then mail the capsules to you.  This is what my encapsulation person did, and it was very convenient.  Or, I guess your H could drive it to her.  I don't think it's that big a deal to put it in a cooler...you'll need to do that from the hospital to home anyway.  But I don't think I'd be comfortable mailing it (the capsules yes, the placenta no), even in a cooler chest.  GL!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I asked my midwife about this recently. She said it's easier to cut it into small pieces and freeze it. Then put a piece into the blender while you are making a smoothie. She said it can take several days for the encapsulation so you're missing out on the nutrients while you're waiting. I can see this making some people uncomfortable though.... I'm all for a placenta smoothie! ;)
  • CelynCelyn member
    The going rate here, in the San Francisco bay area, is $200-300.  Most who process them will come to you to pick it up, and some process at your residence (starting things going in the dehydrator the first day, then returning the following day to encapsulate).  They generally include both capsules and a tincture. 
  • imagejillc2010:
    I asked my midwife about this recently. She said it's easier to cut it into small pieces and freeze it. Then put a piece into the blender while you are making a smoothie. She said it can take several days for the encapsulation so you're missing out on the nutrients while you're waiting. I can see this making some people uncomfortable though.... I'm all for a placenta smoothie! ;)

This is what I have decided to do since I can't afford to have someone encapsulate it for me. I was going to do it myself but realistically I won't want to spend the time or energy on it. DH offered to try to help but he is very squeamish, so he's supportive but just not sure how well he'd handle it. I figure cutting it, freezing it, and making smoothies is going to be the easiest thing for me. 

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"