Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Smoking Pot in front of children

Woman arrested for smoking pot in front of her small children (and 6 months pregnant!)

Some people in CA have a card to legally purchase pot for medical purposes (not saying she does) - but what if a person did, then would they still be arrested for this? Do you think they should be?  Is it different than drinking alcohol in front of your children?  I know many of us do that....

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/05/23/pregnant-el-dorado-co-mom-arrested-for-smoking-pot-in-front-of-daughters/

And discuss.....

ETA: Sorry, probably not exactly board related.  But thought it would make for interesting discussion.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Smoking Pot in front of children

• Legal or not, I don't think people should smoke in front of children.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegsteph88:

Your children can't get drunk from watching you drink...

I had a friend when I was 10 (I love personal stories don't I? Such an AW). Her parents would smoke pot in front of them, leave their pot lying around the house, and my friend was constantly embarrassed by her parents, she ended up going to the school counselor and telling her. All of her brothers and sisters were removed from the home and put into foster care. It's not worth it to smoke around your kids. 

This is a very good point.  Even when you are talking just about regular cigarette smoke. 

• Loading the player...
  • **sigh**  why do people like this get to have 3 kids and soo many others struggle to have just one. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageeddy321:

Disclaimer: I am very biased about this situation.

I grew up in a household where pot was grown, smoked, passed around, etc.  I honestly had no idea it was illegal until I was in middle school and my house burned down.  When I got to the house, I saw my dad moving plants from our porch.  When I asked him why, he explained that the fire marshal couldn't see them.

I also grew up in a family of very severe alcoholics.  I saw people do things under the influence that would damage any child.  IMO, the damage from watching people drink was far worse to me than the damage of watching people smoke illegal pot.

I am a (mostly) well-adjusted adult.  I've never smoked pot, and I don't really have any desire to.  I don't agree with smoking in front of others in general just because you're then forcing them to deal with your smoke out-put (unlike something like alcohol, which doesn't directly affect those around you).  I don't hang around people smoking, but I'd much rather someone smoke pot in front of my children than cigarettes.  And, honestly, I'd rather my kids watch a bunch of pot heads get stoned than watch alcoholics get drunk (if we're talking extremes).

I actually might agree with this if it wasn't for the "contact high" part of the equation.  Pot heads seem less dangerous than drunks.  Of course, doing neither (or at least not to the extreme) is obviously the *right* choice.  

• imageandreagb:

**sigh**  why do people like this get to have 3 kids and soo many others struggle to have just one. 

I often think this when I read these stories too.  There certainly is no justice to it. 

• rlyttlerlyttle member
    I don't anyone should smoke anything in front of children. I do drink in front of DS, but I wouldn't get drunk in front of him. There is a time and a place for everything. If you like to party, you shouldn't do it around children. 
  • skyejoskyejo member
    I have an issue with the smoke being around kids since they can inhale it.  Last night I was hanging out with neighbors and two of them lit up cigars with my pregnant self and our 19mo daughters right there.  Not cool. 
  • my parents smoked in front of me when I was really little and I only vaguely remember it, and they didn't do it when I got older. Neither DH or I smoke anything, so it won't be an issue. My FIL has a prescription but does not do it in front of the grandkids who are at the house all the time.

Honestly, if she has a prescription I don't think she should be arrested, but if she did not, then I think she should. People are not arrested for smoking cigarettes in front of kids, so I don't think there is grounds to arrest someone for smoking pot with a prescription.

• imageandreagb:

**sigh**  why do people like this get to have 3 kids and soo many others struggle to have just one. 

This argument is completey stupid. 

/gavel

Also - I have no problem with weed smoking.  I would not, however, smoke in front of my children.  Not because it's illegal or displaying bad behavior, but because what if something happens to the girls after I've smoked that requires me to drive a vehicle.

I also don't think that simply smoking weed should get your kids taken away from you.  If the weed smoking interferes with your ability to take care of your children, that's one thing.  But toking up on a Friday night the same way other people have a beer or a glass of wine, complete over-reaction to have your kids taken away. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• skioskio member
    Yeah, but, the second hand smoke, though.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I believe that if she wants to indulge as an adult, go for it, but don't do it in front of your children (the actual act of smoking up).  If she has a medical card to have it/use it, no her children should not be taken away.  If she does not, then I understand why the first move by any authority would be to remove the children.  Long term removal of the children for this incident would be pretty harsh IMO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • +SMACE++SMACE+ member
    I think people who smoke cigarettes near their kids should be arrested also. It's not fair to subject your babies to your vices. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • +SMACE++SMACE+ member
    And with drinking, your kids aren't enhaling alcohol. It's not even close to the same thing. 
  • +SMACE++SMACE+ member

*inhaling. 

Fuckingbump won't let me edit.

I HATE YOU BUMP! 

• image+SMACE+:
    And with drinking, your kids aren't enhaling alcohol. It's not even close to the same thing. 

True, but the effects of alcohol on people is completely different from the effects of pot.

Which is why you rarely, if ever, hear of a domestic violence case where the primary (or only) drug the abuser is using is weed. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• +SMACE++SMACE+ member

Well, I certainly don't advocate getting high off your ass or drunk off your ass with your kids close by. But I'm not going to abstain from having a glass with supper if I want one. 

Glass of wine. Not weed. Just to clarify.  

• I think most of us agree that no adult should smoke ANYTHING around children.

I'm curious how everyone's thoughts change if smoking wasn't involved. What about eating pot laced food?

• I can't believe this is even a debate.  No, you should not smoke illegal substances around children.  WTF kind of message are you sending them?
  • Like anything else, it depends on the situation.  Casual use, like casual drinking nbd.

However, my sil smokes pot in front of her daughter all the time.  I am honestly pretty sure my niece has spent a lot of her first three years high because her mom is a pot head. 

Birthday
  • I am in the dont smoke anything or drink anything or be under any influence around your child club. I believe if you really need to smoke something do it outside on your own time, not during play time, lunch time, dinner time. Your own time. Same as drinking. Why show your kids its ok to do that? I hear/see its ok to let them see it in moderation blah blah but there are still kids and they dont know moderation. Drugs if its illegal - well theres just no arguement there its just that - illegal. Alcohol, im pretty certain there is a law about a kid being under a certain age atleast one parents must be sober while in their supervision, but that just might be Canada. Anyways, do it on your own time not your kids time!
  • delg23delg23 member
    My parents did when I was really young & didn't know what was going on but I have memories from a very young age. Later I just found it in their drawer. I don't smoke pot. If I did, I would definitely not smoke pot around them. Selfish reason...getting caught because kids say things. Unselfish reason... I don't particularly want my children to be influenced to do it and the 2nd hand smoke aspect. As for alcohol being worse, I mostly agree with that but I have drank a beer in front of my son. Sometimes mama needs a drink. It depends on the type of alcohol drinking that is going on. I think a pot head is more likely to do something stupid like leave something dangerous out or forget something. I have smoked pot and I have drank in my past & that is just my perception of my personal reaction to both substances.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Just FYI - In Seattle, smoking weed is about as illegal as jaywalking or failing to stop for a stop sign.

So the "Yeah but, it's illegal though" argument doesn't really hold water here. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• I smoke cigarettes. I was a music major in college. *cough cough* I have no issues with adults consuming fun stuff. 

However, I won't smoke anything or drink around the kids. They are simply too much responsibility to be impaired in any way while I am caring for them.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • As a parent, it's my job to stay alert to my child's needs and safety.  I don't think this can happen if a parent is drunk, stoned, high, or whatever. 

Forget the legal aspects of weed, what if there were a fire, storm, medical emergency, etc. and the parent were impaired and couldn't drive safely? Can you watch your child closely enough to keep them out of things in your home if you're stoned or drunk?  My responsibility to my child trumps anything I might feel I have a right to do.

Don't get me started on cigarette smoke. No one is smoking anything around my DS. I get all Mama Bear about it.

• First, I'm pretty sure "contact high" is a myth and more of a placebo effect situation.

Second, I'm fine with people responsibly partaking in pot related activities. I think smoking in the same room as kids sucks and is dumb.

Be smart and safe it's pretty simple.

FotoFlexer_Photo-1 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"