August 2012 Moms

bumbo vs bebepod

Hey,

I'm a first time soon-to-be mommy here so I'm definitely still learning the ropes. But I was curious if anyone has really researched the bumbos or bebepods. I've heard friends rave about the bumbo and haven't heard as much publicity on the bebepod but when searching for information I learned the bumbo had been recalled and they're trying to have it recalled again.

Of course the skull fracture stories scare the crap out of me, but I can't understand why one has been recalled and the bebepod hasn't. Aren't they pretty much the same thing/concept?

Are they worth the money or just a waste? Anyone had any experience with either of them?

Thanks!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: bumbo vs bebepod

• irerirer member
    We have the bumbo and it worked well for us. I have never heard of the other one. How are kids fracturing their skulls in a bumbo? We always used ours on the floor (never on a table or counter), so if you use it safely, just wondering how that is even possible?  Anyway, I don't think it is a "must have" but it was nice to have.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a FTM, too, but my best friend has 2 kids and helped me register. I had originally registered for the bumbo, but she said at 4 months both of her kids were strong enough to lift their bottoms over that little seat part and fall out. The tray that goes on the bumbo doesn't lock, so it doesn't stop them from popping it off. She got the bebepod instead, and it kept them in. The tray locks into place and has to be removed by the parent. She still didn't leave them in it unsupervised of course, but they couldn't pop themselves out, either. Also, the bebepod came with a lot more fun little goodies so it was just an added bonus Smile  Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Before I was due to give birth with my first child in summer 2008, I had registered for the bebepod, I think.  After speaking to my doula at the time, I took it off my registry.  She believes that it is bad for babies because it is forcing them into a position that their little bodies are not ready for.  Young infants don't have the muscle control to sit up, why make them?

I did a bit of research and decided I agreed with her and didn't miss it a bit.  I won't be getting one for this baby either.

• linfor2linfor2 member
    Like pp I think the babies that had injuries with the bumbo were because they were setting them on tables or countertops. I will be a FTM so I don't really have experience with either but we registered for a bumbo.
    Married since 06/2004, TTC since 01/2011

BFP #1 and M/C 5/2011

BFP #2 7/1/2011, Blighted ovums officially diagnosed at 9w6d, D&C 8/19/2011.

BFP #3 12/7/2011, EDD 8/15/2012, Harper Lorelai born 8/09/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lily225lily225 member

We had/have the bebepod and I love it. A friend of mine had the bumbo as a hand-me-down and it was sooo dirty. It seemed like all the little bumps and grooves just collected dirt and made it really hard to clean. I liked the smooth surface of the bebepod better for cleaning purposes. I think the thigh fit of the two are a little different, but can't remember which was more spacious and which wasn't. I want to say the bumbo was a little more spacious?

I really did love ours and used it a ton. When they want to sit up but can't it's awesome. I would put them in front of their play gym in it so they could play with the toys sitting up. When they can finally  hold toys it's great that they can sit and play rather than always be laying. And we always start off putting them in there when we start solids rather than the big high chair which always seems to drown them when they are that little still.

And you just have to be smart about it. Pay attention to whether they want to get out of the seat. Babies will arch their backs when they get mad, and if baby is big/strong enough, I can definitely understand why some are able to push themselves up and out and get hurt (if a parent isn't watching). And then obviously, they will get too big at some point and be able to flip themselves out super easy. Just stop using it. 

I'm actually going to be buying another one with this baby, even though it's our fourth. We lent it to a friend last year and when she returned it, one of my girls (both way to big for it) crammed themselves into it and the crotch knob thing got broken off. Grrrr... So even though it's only going to get one babies worth of use, I'm still planning on getting another one this time around since we use them soooo much. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • SGC29SGC29 member

We had the bumbo for DD and she was not a fan. I don't understand how it was possibly dangerous unless used improperly. There are warnings across the box (and even the actual seat) that say to not use it on elevated surfaces and never leave a child unattended in one. If a child is on the floor, in front of you, I can't imagine there being an issue.

Either way, in our experience it was a waste. She used it a handful of times. I still have it though and plan to at least let DS try it out. 

• We have a bumbo. The recalls are just because people put them on tables, chairs, couches, counters, etc. Just don't put it on an elevated surface and you'll be fine. You'll fall in love! We started putting our son in it when he was a month and a half. He always wanted to sit up when we held him so we started him early. He only sat in it for like a minute at a time when he was that little...but let me tell you it helped him so much learn the muscles of his neck. And he loved being in it at home AND at daycare. Promise, you won't regret it!
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • MIL gaves us the bumbo that she used for the last baby in the family, who will be 5 this fall. Our niece loved it when she was in it, she seemed to like being able to see what was going on around her. I do think I remember them sitting it on the table sometimes which is something I'd never do; I remember thinking it didn't seem safe, and that was before the recall. It'll stay on the floor for sure. Many baby items are perfectly safe to use IF you use them correctly, but unfortunately people can be stupid and that's how many things get recalled.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • The skull fracture issue sounds more like parents being ding-dongs and putting the chair in an unsafe place. The bigger issue is what PP have stated about their little bodies not being ready for a seated position like that. If they were meant to be sitting, they would be! Why not put them on their tummies where they are strengthening the muscles they need to sit up on their own, rather than being passively held up by a container? Check out this article for more of the info from a physical therapist perspective. (I work with Mary Weck, quoted in the article and she is world renowned for her work on infant/toddler motor development - a resource to be trusted!)

https://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-15/health/ct-met-bumbo-posture-20120315_1_physical-therapists-developmental-benefits-babies 

WestyMom Chicago, IL
    TTC since 9/2011, BFP in Costa Rica 12/1/11!, EDD 8/18/12
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • All of my cousins have Bumbos and they seem to love them - reiterating everyone else's comments - use them on the floor, not the counter or a table.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSGC29:

We had the bumbo for DD and she was not a fan. I don't understand how it was possibly dangerous unless used improperly. There are warnings across the box (and even the actual seat) that say to not use it on elevated surfaces and never leave a child unattended in one. If a child is on the floor, in front of you, I can't imagine there being an issue.

Either way, in our experience it was a waste. She used it a handful of times. I still have it though and plan to at least let DS try it out. 

Pretty much all of this except we had the Bebepod. I was excited to use it with DS but he never liked it. I think I tried him in it 5 different times before I just put it back in the box and into the closet. Hopefully DS2 will like it. 

DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • We had the bebepod and DS liked it.  I liked the bebepod better because the leg openings were a little larger and DS had some chunky thighs!  I also liked the tray and toys that you could attach.  It definitely kept DS busy.

And I agree with PPs, all the injuries I've heard of are because of mis-use.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Became a Mrs. on 4/29/06 and a Mommy on 12/5/08

image image image
  • bfstacybfstacy member

Thanks for the input everyone!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"