Nurseries and Baby Gear

Stroller - All Terrain

I am am having a hard time deciding on what stroller/travel system/two items to get. I need something that is going to be all terrain. We spend a lot of time (feb-nov) on the ball fields (soccer, t-ball, softball) so I need something that can easily go on dirt, gravel, grass, etc. Any suggestions? Also, if I don't go with the travel type system what is the best infant seat/carrier to go with to attach?

Thanks.  

BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Stroller - All Terrain

• I don't have any specific experience, but I love our BOB for all-terrain.  We take it on trails and to the dog park across grass.  You might want to consider just finding a great all-terrain stroller that meets all of your needs and then an adapter to add your chosen car seat.

We also had the traditional Chicco travel system, and I would not recommend that at all.  If I had to do it over again, I would just get the car seat adapter for the BOB and the Chicco car seat.   

• We are doing a snap and go stroller (for infant seat use and malls, etc) - and then the baby jogger Summit XC:  https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Jogger-Summit-Single-Stroller/dp/B002X7PBH0/ref=br_it_dp_o_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I176GQIP2URFUS&colid=8B2OR099CQ2U

Its our one BIG splurge - but my SIL has the baby jogger city classic and LOVES it and has used it for 3.5 years - as her ONLY stroller for both kids.

I plan on getting a snuzzler : https://www.amazon.com/Kiddopotamus-Snuzzler-Complete-Support-Ivory/dp/B000DZS720/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1337714199&sr=1-1 to use in the jogging stroller (have used this with my g/fs daughter and she loved it - even until 5 months - but she was a little girl (still is)) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Bumbleride Indie

City Mini GT 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Our uppa baby vista does great off road. I just took it to my neighbors kiddy golf lesson and it was awesome navigating the hilly course.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Love our Uppa Baby Vista. It's easier to navigate in stores than a jogging (or true all-terrain) stroller but the big wheels are great on gravel, grass, bumpy sidewalks - everything. It was our big splurge and I am so glad we did. You need to purchase the car-seat specific adapter bar so you can click your infant car seat into it.

Other option - if you have a baby that fusses in the car seat and doesn't sleep (like mine) you will probably want to pull them out anyways, and a carrier, like a Becco Butterfly or Boba 3G, is the easiest way to get around.

Married 08.06
    Started TTC 05.08
    Me: Stage II endo, borderline high FSH
    DH: perfect
    1 lap, 5 IUIs = 4 BFNs and 1 c/p
    2 IVFs, 2 FETs = 1 BFN, 1 c/p, 1 ectopic and finally a sticky BFP in May 2011!

1 FET in Aug 2013 = BFP! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLucyD1029:

My Bumbleride Indie is awesome off-road.  I've never used it with the infant seat, but it comes with an adapter that works with most car seats.  I think you have to pay extra for the Chicco one. 

This.  We have the Indie Twin with the Carrycot attachment.  It's awesome and pushes easily over grass and gravel. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've had 3 BOB Revolutions, a Phil and Ted's and currently have an Uppababy Vista as well as a BOB Revolution. Hands down, the BOB! We use it for everything and nothing has ever come close to how well it handles on uneven ground. We take it to the pumpkin patch, on hiking trails, to the beach. I drag that thing everywhere and though I would prefer the uppababy for say the mall, I still usually take the BOB because my 4 yo sits in the foot area while my 2 yo rides in the main seat and with the 2nd seat, the uppababy goes from gliding on air to stuck in the mud.

The only other stroller that I've considered but haven't tried is the Citimini that looks nearly just like the BOB.  There is a reason I've had 3 BOB's, I keep thinking there might be something better and then having to go back and buy one again.

• imageLucyD1029:

My Bumbleride Indie is awesome off-road.  I've never used it with the infant seat, but it comes with an adapter that works with most car seats.  I think you have to pay extra for the Chicco one. 

Another vote for the Bumblieride Indie!  But the 2012 models do not come with the infant carseat adapter.  It can be purchased separately.  I just recline the seat flat and buckle him in.  It's such a great stroller.  Besides the smooth ride, it has a huge canopy, the back opens to let air in, cup holder that actually works with a 32 oz Nalgene.    For indoor/mall uses I have a snap and go for my Chicco car seat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageLucyD1029:
    My Vista sucks off-road when compared to a real all-terrain stroller.  It's fine on grass, but that's about it.  It's completely useless on sand and dirt.  I still love it, but it's definitely not my go-to for an all-terrain stroller.

This. I love my vista for almost everything, but for all-terrain use and jogging, my mountain buggy can't be beat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • There are a few brands that are ideal for all-terrain surfaces. The two I recommend the most are BOB and Baby Jogger. The BOB Revolution stroller may be more along the lines of what you are looking for. It is great on all types of surfaces and can be a travel system too. The Baby Jogger on the other hand looks "stylish, but has the ability to handle most terrains. The City Mini or City Mini GT may be an option too. They both are travel systems. I personally have the City Mini for my daughter and I love it. It looks nice, but also maneuvers well. It always comes down to what features you want and if it is going to fit your  lifestyle.

Good Luck! 

Rick Magennis |http://babystrollerconsultant.com |Baby Stroller Reviews
  • Toni79Toni79 member

I'm a FTM, so I actually have not used my all-terrain stroller yet, but this is what I did.

Although the strollers that PP have mentioned are great!  They were not in my price range.

We too spend alot of time on the ball fields, so we opted for the Jeep Liberty Limited All Terrain 3 Wheel Stroller (https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3502257).

It also have alot more storage space under the seat than the more compact (and more expensive) all terrain strollers.  With that being said, it is kind of big, espchally when it is folded.  But that was a compromise we made, since carrying junk to the ball filed was important.

As far as a carseat, it fits most infant car seats.  The side of the box lists what car seats it fits (WITHOUT AN ADAPTOR).  We got the Chicco Key fit and it fits perfectly!

I agree that the standanrd 4 wheeled travel strollers are not going to work across grassy fileds.  I've seen people try, and they looked really unhappy!

Hope that helps!

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"