2nd Trimester

Magnetic Fasteners on Infant clothing

So I need some feedback on what I think is pretty cool infant clothing...it is newborn gowns and onesies that are fastened by magnetics (basically making it easier for us moms, always a good thing :)  My mom is old-fashioned and gave me a scare when I told her about this cool clothing...she said, "magnets on a baby, are you crazy?!"  Magnets can be used as a therapeutic remedy for adults and has been heard of to be possibly harmful to babies.  So I did a little research and understand what she is saying but I don't think there is enough magnetisim in the clothing to cause harm to the babies but....it's got me thinking now.....so, opinions please.....I attached the link to where you can buy the clothing, check it out....

http:://www.magnificentbaby.com/default.aspx?id=1 

Re: Magnetic Fasteners on Infant clothing

• I guess I'm an old fashion like your mom. I would bever buy that clothes for my baby.

I still haven't buy anythings that has magnets for LO.

I'm scared if they swallow the magnet. 

• imagem3l0d1:

I guess I'm an old fashion like your mom. I would bever buy that clothes for my baby.

This! Magnets, especially magnets small enough to work as fasteners for clothing can cause major problems if a baby swallows them. If they're strong enough they can be attracted to each other in the digestive tract and require surgery to remove. It's not very likely, but I'd prefer that my child swallow snaps or buttons than magnets. 

• Loading the player...
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    imagejudahsmommy1:
    imagem3l0d1:

I guess I'm an old fashion like your mom. I would bever buy that clothes for my baby.

This! Magnets, especially magnets small enough to work as fasteners for clothing can cause major problems if a baby swallows them. If they're strong enough they can be attracted to each other in the digestive tract and require surgery to remove. It's not very likely, but I'd prefer that my child swallow snaps or buttons than magnets. 

I agree with both of these.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• I'm sure the magnets are sewn into the fabric. If a child could choke on a magnet fastener, any kind of fastener is dangerous. Actually, if the magnets are completely encapsulated in the fabric, it's probably safer.  I think that it's probably fine as far as that goes.  As far as magnets and babies, I haven't done any research but I just don't think the small amount of magnetism would be harmful. That's just my two cents. 
  • If you are worried about a baby swallowing a magnet, why not a snap or the many other embellishments on kids' clothing? I really do think the choking hazard is a non-issue.

With regard the medical benefit (or harm) from magnets. All FDA tests prove there is no connection. Medical magnets can not be marketed with direct medical links and must be listed with disclaimers on the packaging. You can do some more research, but it seems to be more of a placebo effect than anything. Magnets do not really impact blood flow or healing.

Which to me, means that magnets (in small doses like on clothing) could be harmful to children.  So my take, is that this is a wonderful helpful new clothing item. Great innovation!

I am having trouble updating tickers--But I am due on April 2015. I have 2 older step children: 9 and 14 yrs and I also recently had 2 younger children: 2 years and 1 year... so this means I will be having 3 under 3--and trying to fit our family of 7 into our minivan--eek!

PitaPata Dog tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Thanks for all the input everybody!!!  I think I'm just gonna hold off on buying these for awhile and maybe do a little more research.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"