1st Trimester

Damn, only one ultrasound at 20 weeks.

-->

Blow.

How am I supposed to go for a full 20 weeks without seeing the booger growing inside of me?

Good news: everything "feels" right.

Re: Damn, only one ultrasound at 20 weeks.

• That sucks! I would be so annoyed. Why only one?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • I didn't have an u/s until 20weeks. ?To be honest, it wasn't that hard to wait. ?The weeks flew by. ?Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I only get one u/s at 20 weeks as well.  At 12/13 weeks, I go back to hear the heart beat.  If they don't hear the heart beat, then they will do an u/s.  I think I just want to hear the HB from the very start.   Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Actually, the only reason I get a 12 week is because I'm doing the screening. . .
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • Is it wrong to do the screening just for the ultrasound?
  • Actually I was shocked to hear my doctor gives me an ultrasound EVERY time I go to a visit... we live in a small town and she has the machine in her office so it is free and fun. I have not been yet... My sister only had one ultrasound but she lives in another state.
  • Damn, I need to move to MT!
  • imageCalinsBride:
    That sucks! I would be so annoyed. Why only one?

most women only get 1 u/s at 20w. Many insurance companies only pay for 1.

• I have only had one (7w6d) due to my history of irregular periods and the doctor wanting to date the pregnancy.  Since then, I switched to midwifery care and haven't had another u/s yet certainly don't feel like I'm missing out. Once you start hearing the heartbeat at every visit it will feel like you're checking in with the baby.  I think the fact that they are comfortable waiting until 20 weeks means that they have no reason to worry about you.  This is a good thing! 
  • My doc only does 1 at 20weeks....His words were, Ultrasounds aren't done for "fun", they are done to find out information and of you are healthy and he believes the baby is healthy there isn't any information he needs from the ultrasound.
  • image**Gretchen**:
    Is it wrong to do the screening just for the ultrasound?

ha! I have been wondering that exact same thing. 

I guess it's good to do the screening, but I feel like all it can do is cause panic about something I can't control.  On the other hand, I get to see the baby before Christmas, and it could eliminate one worry-variable early on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • image**Gretchen**:

I don't think so. I was actually going to suggest that. Big Smile

• image**Gretchen**:

I hope not, because that's kind of why I agreed to do it... DH wants to be prepared should anything be wrong. I just want to see my baby again before February!! 

• We only get one at 20 weeks.  We did the same thing with our first, and it wasn't so bad.   Although I was jealous of those who got to see their little ones more often. 

Good luck!  It will make that 20 week u/s that much more fun!  :)

• You ain't alone.

I'm also only getting one ultrasond in 20 weeks, and thats soooo freaken far away!

• I'm still shocked to hear so many women only get one.  I went through fertility treatments and got two before I was even 8 weeks, then I got another at 13 weeks with my regular OBYN, she does one at every visit in the office.  I thought in today's modern medicine society this was normal. I can't imagine why not all Dr's would not have the equipment in their offices and do one every time, after all I'm sure they make more money off of it too!

Then again my mom reminded me that she Never got one and that was totally normal back then, they also didn't have the luxury of finding out the sex.  My take is with all the modern advancements we have today, we should be using them to the full extent we can!

• Right about now I'm wishing I would have done the NT screening just so I could have had an ultrasound.  Now I have to wait until I'm 15 weeks before i even get to hear the heartbeat.  It makes it very difficult to have to wait that long to really start telling the world that I'm pregnant.  I'm terrible at keeping secrets.
  • oh that stinks so bad!!!!  i'm praying i get to see this little bean before then. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • I don't belong on this board - just visiting!  :)  I had three ultrasounds.  My first was the NT scan, which was recommended because at 29 I was considered a mother "of advanced age" (WTF?).  Then my 20 week one showed I had placenta previa, so I had to go back for another at 30 weeks to make sure the placenta was no longer blocking the way out.  Ultrasounds are one of the best parts of being pregnant!

• wow - this new format sucks.  I can't figure it out, and have no idea what happened to my siggy pic.  Sorry about the big red splotch!
  • I got one at my first prenatal appointment (I was 8w5d) but I think that was to figure out the due date due to an irregular period.  I was happy to see the little heartbeat! I know for sure that I'm getting one at my 12 week appointment to confirm or better tell the due date.  Other than that I need to ask if she will do one every time.  My husband says he doesn't care if it costs us because our baby is worth it.  :)
  • I think for women who are on fertility treatments in order to get pregnant there are more u/s because of the added risk.  It is completely normal and common place to only have 1 u/s covered by insurance in most prenancies.  Additional u/s are only covered by insurance if coded by the doctor as "medically necessary."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"