Babies: 3 - 6 Months

make your own baby food??

so as I've started looking into baby food, I've also tooled with the idea of making my own. Only thing is i have no idea on how id start doing this, and a lot of make your own baby food products are expensive. So dose anyone make their own food, and if so how do you do so and what is the expense?
"I'll love you forever I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be"
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: make your own baby food??

• I don't make it yet, but I plan to in a few months.

I've learned a lot from this website: https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

I plan on just using the blender or hand mixer I already have, so I don't need to buy a fancy, baby specific food processor.

I found a chart a while back that estimated a 0.23cents per serving savings over store bought baby food. It doesn't sound like a lot, but that can add up pretty quickly!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You don't need a high end marketed appliance. You can puree food in a blender or a food processor that you already own. If you down have either, a cheap 20 dollar 3cup one from a store will work. To cook the veggies all you need to do is steam them, if you dont have a steam insert for a pot you can put a 5 dollar one that works great. Mine is collapsible, and then opens like a flower that you put in the bottom of the pot. You can also roast veggies like squash in the oven but it isn't needed. A few ice cube trays, plastic wrap, and storage bags are all you need.

Bananas can be mushed with a fork. you dont really need anything else for those. I'm doing it because of the cost. The jarred food is almost a dollar a container and I can by an entire sweet potato, or two lbs of bananas for that price.

• Loading the player...
  • My mom actually bought me the baby bullet for christmas.  Its nice, don't get me wrong, but you can totally use a blender too.  OMG yes you save a TON of money.  I can buy 3 or 4 sweet potatoes and have enough for 1 month.  Then 2 bags of carrotts and have enough for 2 months I also buy a bag of frozen peas (I'm bad - I don't do those from scratch!  Don't judge!  =) )  But heck yes spending like $9 and making like 4 mths of food is totally worth it!  The only thing I do not make is her fruit, but I think I might have too since she's getting to where she is not satisfied with 1/2 a jar anymore.  =(
  • the website was very helpful now all i have to get is some freezer bag's a blender and a steamer. I guess ill start out trying alvacado and bananas then go to sweet potatoes.
    "I'll love you forever I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be"
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • All you need is a small ($10 if that) food processor, they hold maybe a 1-2 cups at a time.  Buy the veggies without the salt, or make your own fresh put them in the food processor and blitz them and then add water until you get the proper thickness your are looking for...Its that simple. Just watch the green beans some times they might have "strings" left on them, just pull them off if you see any! Good luck:)
  • Good for you! Homemade baby food is much more nutritious!

Because of the hassle of making baby food, I use the Baby Brezza. It's really worth the value for what you spend because it does it's a one-step process that allows you to steam, blend food in one bowl without the worry of transferring hot food from a steamer to a blender. It comes with a manual and there's a recipe book to help you make the food. It's also super easy to clean in the dishwasher.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"