Babies: 0 - 3 Months

what did u NEED after labor?

I've spent so much time getting ready for baby and having everything the baby will need after birth and no time preparing for my needs.

What did you find you needed for yourself after birth?  All I can think of is witch hazel, pads and nursing pads.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: what did u NEED after labor?

• first thing that comes to mind is the peri bottle! but most hospitals provide that for you. 
  • gwennecgwennec member
    stool softner, prunes/prune juice, pain spray (dermoplast), sitz bath (hospital will provide), nursing pillow (my brest friend is the best), lanosil soothing nipple pads
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Dermaplast numbing spray - totally helped. Comes in antibacterial and regular. I opted for antibacterial... because, you know why not?

Make sure you get big giant pads not little thin ones. It is the one time you want a big giant pad because it takes some of the pain out of sitting. I opted for the Kotex Natural Balance Overnights and have recommended them to all my expecting friends. 

• nursing pillow (I use travel boppy) at the hospital, cozy underwear and pjs, prunes, water bottles, a good book, get your hair and nails done before your due date (it will make u feel better and after you have the baby it is hard to find the time!)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ayamcayamc member

Clothes that'll make you feel like you're you.  Travel size toiletries.

The hospital provided all I needed; pads, tucks w/witch hazel, peri bottle...
  • In the hospital I needed nothing, they provided pads, peri bottle, stool softener, tucks pads, and lanolin. They did NOT provide sitz baths or dermoplast, but I never needed them. Since being released, I've only needed pads (I got the Always Infinity) and the peri bottle. That's it. I do feel that I am having a very easy recovery though.
  • imageayamc:

Clothes that'll make you feel like you're you.  Travel size toiletries.

The hospital provided all I needed; pads, tucks w/witch hazel, peri bottle...

this.  I didn't want to mess up my clothes so i wore the hospital gown for 2 days, but when we ended up having a longer than normal stay my own nursing pjs were heavenly! I was also glad to have my flipflops. Oh and a pillow from home.  The hospital ones were horrible for us.

image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• stool softener, breast cream, peri bottle (take from hospital)
  • COLACE!!!
  • anyancanyanc member
    Peri bottle and Motrin.
    TTC baby #2 since September 2013!

• CTri17CTri17 member

Beer, lots and lots of it.

Pads/Nursing Pads, undies that are comfy and that you don't care about, nursing bras (that are comfy) and comfy clothes and a helpful hubby 

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• One item that came in very handy was having a small stockpile of meal-replacement shakes. I ran out in the first couple of days and wish I had purchased more! I'm constantly STARVING because I'm breastfeeding and have very little time to make myself something filling (especially something that I can eat one-handed). 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    - Robert Munsch
  • RaeJ004RaeJ004 member

imageUnder.the.Rose:
    One item that came in very handy was having a small stockpile of meal-replacement shakes. I ran out in the first couple of days and wish I had purchased more! I'm constantly STARVING because I'm breastfeeding and have very little time to make myself something filling (especially something that I can eat one-handed). 

This lady knows what she's talking about! I wish I had thought of this. Heck I might still do this... 

BabyFruit Ticker

Georgia 3/15/2012 Matilda 6/12/2014 TWINS!! Babies 3&4 EDD 11/22/2016
  •  I ended up unexpectedly having a c/s, so as scary as it is, prepare also for that...I cannot pat myself on the back more for having bought cheap but cute nightgowns from Wal-mart and a cute robe from Target. They didnt put pressure on my inscision, I felt cute but comfortable when ppl visited, and they were cheap so i didn't care about possibly getting blood on them ( which I didn't). Also they had buttons on the front which made it easy to nurse. I also bought spaghetti strap sports bras from Wal-Mart that were 10$/3...for me they're just as good as nursing bras and I wear them ALL the time at home. They come in cute colors so it also helps...granny panties from Wal-mart help too...obviously I'm all about the comfy and cheap stuff!

Honestly I would recommend spending a few bucks if you can on pajama pants, nightgowns, shelf bra tanks, yoga pants, etc- it just helps when you feel gross and tired at home and you at least have clothes that look semi decent...sounds crazy, I know, but when people are visiting, you haven't had any time to worry about how you look bc you're taking care of a newborn, and youre in a weird post preg body, having some new clothes helps more than you know.

Gl and congratulations! :) 

• everything you absolutely need the hospital provides. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a c-section, so this is what I would recommend (just in case):

In the hospital: we had a hospital that let us use the nurses fridge, so we had spaghetti and meatballs from home (homecooked meals make a hell of a difference when your in the hospital for a few days), pillow from home (which PP said too!), and I found a boppy excpetionally helpful when breastfeeding (cause it doesnt feel good lifting LO up), and slip resistant socks, nipple cream for sure (if you are going to breast feed)

after the hospital: I needed a step stool to get into bed lol our bed is kinda high, motrin, and a GIGANTIC cup for water (I was so dehydrated when I got home, and for a few days after), nipple cream again!

• I had vaginal delivery 16 days ago. I think I needed the same as most (and what I had read elsewhere)... gigantic pads that I change out every 2-4 hours, peri bottle from hospital, colace stool softener, prenatal vitamins, brest friend/boppy for BF, comfy pants and nursing friendly tops/pjs, food stocked up for easy eats, breast pump and bottles, nipple pads and lanolin cream, kindle, and fb account  :)  :)

good luck!

• tina924tina924 member

Also had an emergency C-section. The yoga pants I brought to hang out in rubbed my incision too much, so I suggest bringing something nice and loose like a cute nightgown just in case.  Everything else I needed, the hospital provided: Colace, gas pills (really important because gas really builds up before you're able to pass it out) percocet :) They had prune juice and milk of magnesia to help move things along too. I brought my own maxi pads, but ended up using the hospital's because they were just a whole lot bigger and it was too painful to get up every few hours to change a normal maxi.

The hospital also provided a breast pump for me to use while LO was in NICU. Medela Symphony (I got really spoiled!) They really do have everything you need. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Right after labor.....something to eat. I was so hungry. When I got home I needed clothes for nursing....i.e. nightgowns and clothes for comfortable NIP since we had lots of visitors. And Colace, thank God for Colace!
  • Pretty much everything that all e ladies have mentioned, but honestly take everything from the hospital they are willing to provide. I unexpectedly spent a week in the hospital before I was induced at 35 weeks so I was no where near ready at home and knew that upon leaving the hospital that going to Target or Walmart would be the last thing I wanted to do. I wasn't bashful, I asked for extra of this gigantic pads, the witch hazel, and the mesh panties. Most people I know hated them, but I loved them...they kept everything held up and kept my stretched out belly somewhat controlled. I also got extra formula, diapers, and toiletries for baby to get us through until his first ped appt... My advice: just ask! All they can say is no, and you're definitely not the first or last mommy that will! Good luck! 

• CHEESECAKE!  I was SO craving sugary snacks during my pregnancy but couldn't have them bc of gestational diabetes.  

My wonderful mother had a cheesecake waiting for me :]

On a serious note though, dermaplast (pretty sure thats what its called) pain spray was amazing.  I bought a can to take to the hospital with me and they ended up providing some as well.  That and the peri bottle was all I needed.   

• COLACE

semi-loose V-neck sports bras for nursing and sleep bras.

a veggie tray, fruit tray, and granola bars for healthy snacking.  seriously, I sent the hubby to the store for these.  (meal replacement shakes are a GREAT idea...wish I had thought of this)

extra Tucks pads.  Kroger had witch hazel wipes instead of pads and they were great because I'd fold them up and lay them on top of the maxi pad in the panties.

• The hospital provided mostly everything. Ask for extras! I was able bring home 2 bags of everything. I did need stool softener, Motrin, lansinoh, and more witch hazel pads after coming home! 
  • i used depends instead of panties and large pads. they were absolutely wonderful. so much better than panties and pads. you didnt have to worry about making a mess and doing laundry,etc. you just throw them away. i needed 3 packages to last all the way through
  • Food!! I was at the hospital from 9am until my son was born at 7pm - by that time the hospital dining room was closed. They provided a small sandwich, chips etc but after eating nothing but popsicles all day I was STARVING!! I had brought some crackers and that thankfully got me through until breakfast the next morning :)
  • Camisole tank tops with a build in bra, hydrogel pads, Depends (in case you have a lot of tearing)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"