3rd Trimester

Help. Please from only those of you who have been there.

I am 28 weeks.  I have gained nearly 40 pregnancy pounds already.  But thats not the worst of it.  I gained 11 lbs in three weeks.  I am determined to only gain 10 more lbs before baby is born, which is about 3 lbs a month.  For those of you who have gotten their weight gain in check, please help me with some ideas.  I already eat a lot of fruits and veggies.  I walk and do yoga, only 2-3 times a week for a half hour.  I avoid sugar, carbs, and fats as often as possible, I could probably do a little better though.  My doc says my weight gain is probably hormonal.  I have not had any complications what so ever since pregnant, passed my glucose test and everything.  This is just crazy!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help. Please from only those of you who have been there.

• How's your salt intake?  I realized after I had DS (retrospect is such a bittersweet phenomenon, isn't it?) that a HUGE amount of what I had gained during his pregnancy was water weight.  I've cut my salt intake significantly this time around (no giving in to cravings for potato chips, french fries, etc) and my weight gain has been MUCH better.  If you haven't already, try cutting out as much salt as you can and see if that makes a difference.  If that's the problem, not only will your gaining slow down from here on out, but you'll probably lose a few lbs in water weight by your next appt!  GL!

• I gained most of my weight in the second tri. In the third tri my weght has tapperd off, but I am still gaining weight, but most of mine is due to swelling.

Do you have swelling, that could attribute to it, and some women jsut gain more than others, and sadly there isn't much you can do (especially if you want to have a a healthy baby).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Right about where you are now (28 weeks) is also when I packed on the lbs. It seems that's a HUGE growth spurt time for these little ones, so don't be too hard on yourself. As for what PP said about water weight, that could be a big part of it too. I have started drinking lemon water (there was a post about this a few days ago), lemon is a diuretic and will keep the swelling down. I haven't started swelling yet (with DD, it was about this time that I did), so maybe it's helping...who knows?

Anyway, your weight gain will slow down towards the end. Your stomach will be so squished that you just won't be able to eat much. Keep up the exercise and keep eating healthy and you'll be just fine. I think you'll be surprised at how quickly the weight drops off afterwards. The last 10-15 lbs will be the hardest to take off, and that will just take time!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My pre-pregnancy weight was always between 112-115lbs, I now weigh 160lbs. My OB sais I am totally fine.

Your body will gain the right amount for your body and most importantly,your baby. It is much better to gain weight than to be underweight. Trust your body...

• I was worried about my weight gain, so I started using My Fitness Pal (it's online and there's a phone app) to track my exercise and food intake.  I just set my goal as wanting to gain 1/2 lb per week.  It's really helped me pay attention to what I'm eating and make sure I'm getting all the calcium/protein/nutrients I'm supposed to each day.  I think making sure I'm balanced and tracking my water has really helped me stay in control of my hunger and my weight gain. 

• jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6".
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything (mine
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything (mine is)
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything (mine is) than
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything (mine is) than worry about it
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything (mine is) than worry
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything (mine is) than worry about
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything (mine is) than worry about it after
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything (mine is) than worry about it after the
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything (mine is) than worry about it after the abby
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything (mine is) than worry about it after the baby is
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    I am with you, I just have no suggestions. I was very frustrated when I was were you are now. I even gave up all my bad eating habits for lent but that didn't help at all. So I just gave up and stopped stressing about it, I will deal with it later. The sad thing is everyone tells me I am all baby, how can I possible have a 50 pound baby people. Oh and to top things off I almost weigh as much as DH who is 5'6". Hang in there and as long as the doctor is ok with everything (mine is) than worry about it after the baby
  • jc0n15jc0n15 member
    SOrry for the million posts, no idea what happened but I can't delete
  • Are you gaining any water weight?  I knew with my last pregnancy, diet and exercise didn't matter once the water weight started coming on.  This time I've increased my protein intake to prevent water weight and it has helped tremendously.

Also, don't forget that fruit has quite a bit of calories in it.  Although it's good for you, too much can lead to weight gain.

All 3 of my pregnancies were vastly different with weight gain and the type of weight gain.  I gained almost 50lbs last time and although I started 20lbs heavier this time, I've only gained 5lbs.  My focus this time is more on a balanced diet and a diet to prevent complications as well as moderate exercise everyday.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was in the same boat from weeks 22 to 31 - gaining 43 lbs in that time... I also eat well and try to stay as active as I can... I also passed my glucose test. I'm 33 weeks now, and in the last 2 weeks I've not gained anything. My Dr isn't concerned, and said that everyone gains differently... it could just be that you've gained your weight in the short amount of time, like I did, and will quit gaining later in your pregnancy.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I started at 215....got down to 185 at 3-4months along and so far i've only gained 2lbs... I did same thing with my son but by end i had gained 30-40lbs... alot alot of water weight... sometimes your body just needs it... If your BP and sugar lvls are all ok then I wouldn't worry to much maybe for a couple days write down everything you eat it may help u figure out where the most calories are comming from... Downing the Salt intake and upping the water to flush it all out will help alot :)
    image baby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The staff at my doctor's office encourages us to lives a healthy lifestyle and NOT to stress about the numbers on the scale.  They haven't been strict about that 25-30 pound weight gain,  because they realize that every women is different and that's not always going to be realistic.  As long as you are taking care of yourself, a few extra pounds is not going to hurt.  It will become an issue if you gain something more like 70 + pounds, because it could affect your blood pressure etc.  If everything is looking good in your check-ups and you are feeling good, then just keep up the good work!

Also, I gained about 10 pounds between my 24 and 28 week appointment.  You will go through growth spurts.  Weight tends to level off in the third tri and you likely won't gain as quickly.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • I think I'm going to make the suggested 30lb weight gain. I don't eat as well as I should, however I do exercise. That has saved my butt. 

You state that you walk 2-3 times a week or do yoga. Maybe you want to increase your exercise slightly, whether it's adding some incline to your walk or increasing your pace.  

As others have mentioned, you may want to limit your salt intake.

I know it's so easy for everybody to say "don't stress over it". I was about 7 lbs heavier than I normally was when I found out I was pregnant, thanks to vacation and no exercise for a small period of time. Gaining 26 lbs thus far on top of the 7lbs has weighed heavily on me, especially since summer is upon us. Just keep your head up and think positively. It's only temporary.  

• I had the same concern about weight gain, and hoping to limit it towards the end. I gained 30 pounds by the time I hit 27 weeks. Turns out mine was probably due to stress, because as soon as I lost my job, my weight gain literally stopped. I also hadn't had morning sickness so that didn't help. However, I have only gained 3 pounds since 27 weeks, and I am now 35 weeks. So it is possible you put on a lot at the start, and that it will tapper off. I know everyone's body is different though. I was also told to avoid salts, I'm sure someone mentioned that already. It seems like our bodies do what ever they are going to do regardless of what we do lol. At least mine did.
  • At my last month's appointment, I had gained 8 lbs in 3 weeks and I freaked out. Doc wasn't too concerned, but he did acknowledge the weight spike and told me he thought it would level out. Sure enough, at my most recent appointment I had only gained 3 lbs. Don't stress, as long as you're staying active and eating well, your body will gain what it needs to gain. Everyone is different, so don't let the girls here who have only gained 10 lbs or less make you feel bad.

• My best friend ate whatever sounded good to her with her first pregnancy (think: four corn dogs, a whole large pizza, chocolate, WHATEVER she wanted in whatever quantity satisfied her). She gained 50lbs.

Determined not to do that again, she ate super-healthy and in the right portions with her second and gained 60lbs. She was really frustrated.

For her, it was hormonal. There wasn't anything she could do about it. As long as you're staying healthy and your doc isn't concerned, don't worry about it too much. Keep up the good habits after the babe is born and you'll be fine.

• With DD1 I really liked using babyfit on sparkpeople.  Not only does it help track calories, but nutrients as well--so you can choose foods based on what baby needs.  It's free, which is my favorite price.  Wink

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"