May 2012 Moms

Stripping Membranes?

This may be a dumb question, but I'm a FTM, so I don't know the answer. At what point are doctors typically willing to strip your membranes? I have my 38 week appointment & am totally swollen & sweaty & uncomfortable & ready to meet my daughter, so I wasn't sure if that was a normal point to ask for that or if I should wait until I was further along?

Mommy to Anniston (3), Eden (1), and baby on the way. Angel baby 4/2013

Re: Stripping Membranes?

• I've had mine stripped 3 times now and not much has happened and i'm now 40w2d. They started stripping them last week. 39 weeks is a good time to start. I was 2cm and 50% for the first sweep then I was 4cm and 80% and today before they swept me I was 4cm and 90% effaced. Hopefully labor is around the corner. Sadly, I don't know anyone where the sweeping/stripping worked first try.
    married 9/2010
    DS1 11/2010 (angel)
    DS2 5/2012
    DS3 4/2015
    New baby 6/2020
  • cryssvcryssv member
    At 38+3 I was 1cm dilated and my OB did a sweep. She said she didn't think it would do much for me but did it anyway. I'm assuming she'll offer again this week
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • lindy27lindy27 member
    My doctor offers is at your 40 week appoitment.  I had mine done then and had my LO 2 days later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • My dr stripped mine @ 38w and I went into labor that night! 1ht
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • cbee817cbee817 member
    Mine were stripped at 38 weeks 5 days and my DD was born 10 hours later. For DD#1 I was induced at 39 weeks 6 days with no membranes stripped.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am 1 cm today.  My midwife was willing but said it tends to work better when the baby is super low and you are like 3cm, etc.  So we skipped it this week.  You need to be dilated enough for them to get their finger up there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"