June 2012 Moms

Any other breech babies around here?

It was a midwife-filled weekend for us!  Friday I went in for my regular appt and the midwife was feeling fairly certain that the baby was head up, so she sent us in for an "urgent" ultrasound on Saturday.  As soon as the ultrasound confirmed that baby was bum-down (DH calls it "cannonball position") my midwife called us in and we went over our options.  We are trying the moxabustion (I've done 3 treatments so far) and I have another ultrasound on Wednesday and probably will have an external version (attempt to flip the baby) on Thursday.  Not looking forward to that!  I'm feeling fairly sorry for myself today.  It seems like we have to do so much work just to get to have a normal labor :(  It makes me want to give up on the whole idea and opt for a c-section, although I wouldn't look forward to recovering from that.

Anyone else still breech?  Have you had a version?  Should we start another pity party?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary image

Re: Any other breech babies around here?

• I am not sure what baby is at this point but I do know how it is to have things not go the way you planned! It will work out!
  • Mine is breech too.  Boo.  I'm so bummed about it.  What's moxabustion?

My doctor made me promise him that I wouldn't try anything at home to turn the baby.  (I had been checling out spinningbabies.com)  He said that the baby is that way for a reason, and he had a woman many years ago who did all kinds of tricks, and he said that it ended very badly.  So, that was enough to scare me off from trying anything.

I'd like to do an external version, but we'll see what happens.  Definitely bummed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTigerlillies:

Mine is breech too.  Boo.  I'm so bummed about it.  What's moxabustion?

My doctor made me promise him that I wouldn't try anything at home to turn the baby.  (I had been checling out spinningbabies.com)  He said that the baby is that way for a reason, and he had a woman many years ago who did all kinds of tricks, and he said that it ended very badly.  So, that was enough to scare me off from trying anything.

I'd like to do an external version, but we'll see what happens.  Definitely bummed.

That's interesting that your doc doesn't want you to do anything at home. I guess some things on spinning babies (like lying upside down on an ironing board) could maybe be risky.

Moxabustion is some crazy Chinese medicine. I'm normally not into that kind of thing, but there are actually pretty good clinical trials done on this, I even read a study in my bio class at university. It involves burning a mugwort stick (looks like a black cigar) near the outside of your baby toe for 20 minutes a day per side. I've done it 3x and nothing yet, but figured it costs $5 & is worth a try.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary image
  • Our Baby A is head down, but Baby B is breech.  I have a c-section scheduled for May 25th, but hopefully my doctor will do a quick ultrasound this Friday to see if he's still breech.  If he's turned, they might change it to an induction.  My doctor doesn't want to try a version on me though, because he is worried about the scar tissue that I have on my abdomen, and because I am too overweight.  I think he's afraid of any complications that may arise and could have been prevented.
    Me: 37 Dx: PCOS 10/09, started Clomid 8/10
    DH: 40 Dx: MFI 6/11
    IVF #1: Lupron
  • We found out last thursday that our baby turned into breech position sometime between his 36 - 37 week appointments (after having been head down for over a month!!!!). We chose not to do the EVC because I was almost 37 weeks and by the time they could get us in to the hospital to do it, my dr. was concerned that he wlould be too big and not have enough fluid to turn easily. I have been doing certain exercises to widen my pelvis in hopes that he'll want to turn around and stick his little head in :) , but if not - we will have a c-section at the end of next week....

I totally understand how you feel though. This is our first baby and my only goal was to NOT have a c-section. When I found out he had turned I was really upset. But, in the end, I figured maybe there was a good reason as to why he is breech. If I were to make him turn and then something bad happened as a result, I would feel terrible!

Good luck! Hope everything turns out well for you and LO!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been doing spinning babies, seeing a chiropractor and doing moxibusion for three weeks. I have an external cephalic version tomorrow at 9 am. I will for sure post how it went. My original birth plan was totally unmedicated and now I'm looking at a possible cs. I cried for a whole day. I understand the frustration.
  • My baby is Frank Breech, or at least was 2 weeks ago.  Had a check-up yesterday and Dr. thinks she may have turned.  Have an U/S scheduled in 2 weeks to determine.  If she is still Breech, we will schedule an C/S.  It was a little upsetting, but like others have posted, it's gotta be for a reason.  But I have been trying some of the positions on spinningbabys.com but don't know if they will work.  But, in my case, she's also a very large baby (89th percentile) so even if she turns, a C/S may still be in my future.  Hey, as long as she's healthy, right.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Research the version carefully before you agree to it. I declined it last time because I felt that the risks far outweighed the posibility of success. DD ended up turning by herself at 38 weeks, 3 days before the scheduled c-section. Now, I'm not say that this will be your situation. But just do the research and make sure it's what you want to do. I do know someone who had the version and it worked and everything was just fine.

My baby was breech for the past few weeks and just turned back head-down this morning. Anything can happen.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My baby is not breech, but I have heard of some baby's moving when their mother uses a flashlight. They say sometimes the baby will follow the light. Not sure how often this works, but hey, I'd give it a shout. It sounds very harmless.

• Devastated. The doctor tried to flip it towards my left side and got the head just below my belly button and the heart rate dropped so she gave the baby a min and tried again that way but the heart rate dropped again. She tried going the other way and got just as far and lost the heart beat. So she wasn't able to turn the baby. She said we will know for sure after the c section but that its her belief that the baby is wrapped up in the cord. I am so glad I tried everything though. Trying the version was worth it. Uncomfortable but not painful. If you do try it good luck and remember above all to keep your muscles relaxed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"