Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

When did your LO stop eating purees?

I need a sanity check.

DS turned 1 on Friday. He self-feeds finger foods just fine. He will eat breads, cheese, fruits, and some veggies as finger foods, but he doesn't like meats on their own and some veggies are a no-go so far. He doesn't get how to use a spoon to feed himself yet. We send finger food for the morning snack at daycare and some finger food to eat after his yogurt in the afternoon. He gets purees at lunch with milk. Dinner is sometimes puree with meat in it, sometimes just table food, and sometimes a mix depending on what we're eating.

Today, daycare told DH that we need to start sending in only finger food because "when he moves to the next room, they won't feed him at all." They transition rooms usually around their birthdays. DS was moved early, at 10 months, because he was walking early.

Did you ditch purees at 1? Did you still spoon-feed things like yogurt after you stopped with other pureed foods? When did your LO figure out how to use a spoon?

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
#3 Due April 2016

Re: When did your LO stop eating purees?

• ames71ames71 member
    Technically, he still has them, but in the form of fruit/veggie pouches. Your daycare would probably be okay with them if he can feed them to himself.

• shakesshakes member
    I don't have any experience with day care, but in all honesty DS stopped purees at around 16/early 17 months. He went through a long no veggies strike and I used purees instead. He's 20 months now and wouldn't touch a puree, but he does like those fruit pouches. I guess that isn't very helpful lol. Sorry.

• Loading the player...
  • If my memory serves me right, I am pretty sure we stopped giving purees around 10 months. If you LO doesn't like meat, I would suggest to still keep trying but you can offer him other alternatives with lots of protein in it that is not meat. Also would like to add that if you chopped up meat in small pieces, DD would not eat it but if you gave her a big piece that she could hold in her hand, she would eat from that no problem.

I did spoon feed yogurt for a while after stopping purees and honestly cannot remember how long it took for her to master spoon/fork but I remember being surprised that it didn't take her very long. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageames17:
    Technically, he still has them, but in the form of fruit/veggie pouches. Your daycare would probably be okay with them if he can feed them to himself.

Same. 

"To me, you are perfect."

• We stopped all purees at 9 months because she wouldn't eat them anymore. She won't even eat the pouches or yogurt.
  • DS moved to table food at 9 months, and DD 7 months. That was the age where they began to refuse purees. I just started giving DD a spoon with yogurt this morning. She was pretty good with it, but obviously made a mess. But in general, she won't let me feed a thing to her. She feeds herself table food(using her hands).
  • DS stopped eating pureed food around 9 months.  He eats all finger foods.  The only things that we feed him on a spoon are things like yogurt or cottage cheese.  However, he is really starting to fight me feeding him.  We will probably start giving him a spoon in the next couple of weeks.  DS is 13 months old.
  • Aloe0lAloe0l member

DD never liked purees, so we quit trying with them around 7mo and moved to finger foods.  We ended up following BLW because that's what she preferred.

At 9-10mo she was on the daycare menu.  They broke apart whatever was too big for her to bite/chew into smaller pieces and would spoon feed her the stuff that was more mushy.  She also didn't get choking hazard food (grapes, carrot sticks, etc). They would substitute with something toddler friendly.

When she moved to the toddler room, it was pretty much 100% of the time her self-feeding, even stuff like yogurt they'd have her try eating with a spoon on her own.  They of course helped her learn how to use the spoon at first, but after awhile they stopped with that also.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I guess he stopped around 10 months.  Meat has taken a long time for us too so he just eats hummus and edamame and I think that counts.  We also still eat a lot of the pouches and yogurt tubes.  Sometimes if you can't get them to eat vegetables put a little ketchup on the tray and let them dip. 
  • We still feed LO purees, but like PPs said, in the pouches. She eats them herself. She's VERY picky and it's hard to get veggies and meat into her, so we get the pouches. She loves them!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker.
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    *TTC #2 since 5/2011*
    *me(23) DH(28)*
    *DX w/ PCOS 3/22/12*
  • At 10 months she was off purees.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• DS stopped eating them around 11 months. He just preferred finger foods. He was still in the infant room at DCP at the time, but his teacher asked if we'd like them to start feeding him the toddler meal at lunch, and we agreed. He still has things like purees, obviously, like yogurt and applesauce. 
  • hmp1hmp1 member

imageames17:

Same.  

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• rmrmrmrm member

my LO is 15 months. he still has one from time to time--usually only if he's being extra picky, we'll give him his favorite puree. (usually at dinner.) I'd say we've been phasing them out since about 12 months.

At daycare, he has to have all finger foods but they will feed him one item. i don't send purees but i do send yogurt or applesauce some days. a lot of times we'll send leftover dinner and it seems to work. LO has just started wtih a spoon at home, but he gets mad trying to use it so i still end up feeding him. but i do let him have a go at it himself first. Also, we do a lot of "hiding" if he's having pasta, we'll hide meat or chopped spinach in it.

• My son refused all purees at 9 months. Every now and again I can trick him into eating veggies by giving him a veggie pouch to eat, so I guess technically he still eats purees. I think he was 15/16 months before he was really good at using a spoon.
  • We stopped purees around 10 months. She was feeding herself steamed veggies by then, and she went through a phase of spitting out anything that wasn't a chunk - purees, yogurt, apple sauce, oatmeal.. She's back on yogurt and apple sauce, but we never went back to purees.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• imagekabarbanel:
    DS moved to table food at 9 months, and DD 7 months. That was the age where they began to refuse purees. I just started giving DD a spoon with yogurt this morning. She was pretty good with it, but obviously made a mess. But in general, she won't let me feed a thing to her. She feeds herself table food(using her hands).

Exactly this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As soon as DS was able to feed himself he was pretty much over the idea of purees.So maybe 9 or 10 months. He was willing to eat them much longer at daycare than at home, peer pressure and all =)

Yogurt is apparently tasty enough that he'll agree to let me spoon it in since you can't pick it up. I know I need to work with him more with the spoon. DS will usually eat chicken 100% of the time, but stuff like ham or ground beef can be really hit or miss. I find it works better when it is mixed into stuff like adding ham to grilled cheese, quesadillas, lasagna, spaghetti, meatloaf, etc. Have you tried that type of stuff?

The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • imageames17:

This for DD - we use Happy Tot veggie/fruit blends often at lunch and for either breakfast or snack we use Earth's Best fruit/yogurt smoothies in addition to other foods she eats at those times.  She feeds herself with the pouch.  I use them to get extra veggies/fruits into her.  DD doesn't go to daycare though, so I don't know what their reaction would be. 

• Both of mine were completely done with purees by 9 months old and that is when I pretty much stopped spoon feeding them. I specifically gave them foods that I knew they could pick up and feed themselves.  I think the only thing I spoon fed them after 9/10 months was yogurt.

DD learned to use a spoon and fork around 13 or 14 months old.  DS was quite a bit older than that, so he just used his hands.  I put a spoon or fork on their tray with every single meal though, whether they used it or not so they got used to it.

• We stopped purees completely around 8 months and reintroduced them in the form of pouch fruit/veggie combos at 13 months because he was not eating enough vegetables for my liking. He still gets mostly table food but usually has a pouch for snack, especially when we're on the go. If we're at home, I'll let him feed himself yogurt or applesauce with a spoon, but he's still perfecting the art of utensils so I won't let him practice when we're out and about.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we stopped puree's around 10 or 11 months once he was able to eat a variety of finger foods/small cut portions of regular food. He still eats the fruit/veggie & yogurt smoothie pouches though for snacks like once a day so that we know he is eating enough fruits and veggies. He loves those pouches, they are like baby crack. We still spoon feed yogurt- he is pretty good with a fork feeding himself but the yogurt he gets everywhere and I would rather know he actually ate most of it.

Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Come up with a compromise with your DC. At ours they said the same thing and we came to an agreement that they would feed him 1 thing (applesauce, or puree) and the rest of his lunch was foods he could feed himself. If nothing else save the puree for home and send only finger foods to DC.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hmonttyhmontty member
    DD hasn't eaten a puree since maybe 10 months. She's all finger foods (fish, steamed veggies, cheese, chicken and beef, pasta, etc.). I do still feed her yoghurt and applesauce, however. She doesn't use a spoon yet herself.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Maybe about 10ish months?  I can't quite remember. 

He is just now starting to learn how to use the spoon to feed himself things like yogurt, oatmeal, & applesauce. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"