Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

WWYD- Stealing FB photos

My DH's aunt shared one of his photos and posted it on her fb page. The photo is of my 18month old son. I kindly asked her to remove it from her fb page.

Did I do the right thing?

#1- you should ask to use someone else's photo

#2- I don't want my son all over the internet.

Right? Or should I have just ignored it? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD- Stealing FB photos

• I agree she should have asked. Just keep in mind, it is your aunt. You have your son in your siggy picture and TB probably has a lot more people than your aunt's facebook page.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think asking her nicely was a good way to go about it. If you don't want this happening, though, maybe you should not have pics up of your kiddo online, either. (Anyone can copy, paste or screen shot a pic.) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think its a big deal that you asked her to remove it.  Im sure your DH's aunt was just proud.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Very True..LOL

I guess its more that she didn't ask. Plus I don't want 1/2 the family seeing him. ;)

<3 Hormones ;) 

• imageuluvfranke:
    I agree she should have asked. Just keep in mind, it is your aunt. You have your son in your siggy picture and TB probably has a lot more people than your aunt's facebook page.

Whatever the digital image equivilant of caveat emptor is, it applies here.

You take your chances when you post things in cyberspace.  It will live forever.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • I'm sure she meant no harm, only wanted to show off that cutie patoot face of his to her friends!  You have to remember, when you post a picture on line it is already all over the internet and anyone that comes across it can copy and paste and you would never know.  Pictures on FB are the property of FB and can be used for just about whatever they damn well feel like.  There is really no protection or guarantee once you post it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageOctoberBabyH:
    I think asking her nicely was a good way to go about it. If you don't want this happening, though, maybe you should not have pics up of your kiddo online, either. (Anyone can copy, paste or screen shot a pic.) 

This. She probably didn't think anything of it and just wanted to show off her nephews cute kid.

• Has PP said he already is all over. She can (if she is your friend or your DH's) take the pics and do whatever she wants with them. All she has to do is right click the picture and save it to her desktop.

My MIL always goes on my page and saves pics from my facebook to her computer and makes Cannon photo albums and gives them to her sisters and mother. Meh doesn't bother me. She's a proud grandma. She has every right to have pics of her grandson. So would my aunt. But that is my OP.

• imageScout2005:

I think he's your kid, and you can exert whatever control you want over his pics.

That being said, FB is only as private as you make it. I keep DD's photos in albums that only certain people can see (family for the most part) and if someone shares without permission, I remove them from that list, as I have made it clear in the past I don't want them doing that.

She should ask, but people don't often realize why it's an issue. You have to be clear, up front, that you don't want them sharing the pics and then remove them from the view list if they don't comply. 

eta: And obviously, PP is right about his pic already being here on TB.

Thank you :) My fb page is locked down. She is not my friend. She is my husbands friend. 

• Eh, she probably should have asked.

Clearly I have no qualms about AWing my kid to the whole of the interwebz, but I get really annoyed when my creepy uncle steals pics from my FB albums without asking and posts them to his page right next to his latest batch of pic of Hooters waitresses.  It skeeves me out.  But I feel like I can't tell him to stop because we're the closest family he has living. 

• Removed photo ;) Thanks ladies :)

Tried to update my avatar, but TSB (The stupid bump) won't let me . 

• It creeps me out when people 'steal' my pictures, but I pick my battles. If it is some random long lost cousin whose profile is public, then yes. If it's my sister and I know it's limited to her friends (even though I don't know them all), then I'd probably leave it alone. Once my sister stole one of my baby bump pics and put it up as her profile pic. I told her to take that down.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• my folks do this all the time. i guess it's kind of a toss up but i think you can limit TAGGING of the photos but nothing to stop any of your friends from downloading the photo and putting it somewhere you don't even know about.
  • SGC29SGC29 member

imageRayRay007:
    Once my sister stole one of my baby bump pics and put it up as her profile pic. I told her to take that down.

Now that I would find weird. Are you guys super close though? Maybe she was just really excited?

Either way, pretty weird. 

• imageSGC29:

imageRayRay007:
    Once my sister stole one of my baby bump pics and put it up as her profile pic. I told her to take that down.

Now that I would find weird. Are you guys super close though? Maybe she was just really excited?

Hmm.. my sister and my parents "steal" my pictures of DD all the time. My Dad made a collage of all 4 grandchildren for his profile picture. It's never occurred to me to be bothered by it.

DH's aunt... that's a bit odd to me. I think asking nicely is fine.  

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• imageSGC29:

imageRayRay007:

Yes, we're close and she was just super excited, but I was totally weirded out and told her so. She apologized and took it down.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• hmp1hmp1 member

It's whatever you think is right.

That stuff doesn't really bother me. I don't put anything up on FB that I don't mind someone reposting.  My family all have Picasa Web Albums that are open and I have a ton more pics on there than on FB. I also let our photographers use our pics on their websites/blogs. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• gisa886gisa886 member
    My H's uncle did that with one of our daughter's pictures. He took it and photoshopped it and then posted it on his wall. We asked him to take it down because he didn't ask and also because he goes nuts about copyrighting his pictures so people don't steal them and then he take ours without asking. 
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • My in laws "share" photos of DS all the time, change their profile pictures to his and everything. I don't think anything of it. They're just showing off their grandkid.

Surely there is something under privacy settings that disables your photos from being downloaded or shared? 

image > Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsEll:

SIL printed out a bunch of photos off of DH's facebook page and made an album for MIL out of them. It made me realize how creepy FB can be (and how weird SIL is). We promptly removed all photos of DS from FB.

This is why I use my pup as my siggy, and rarely post pix of E online.

Om nom nom
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"