May 2012 Moms

Would love to hear your induction stories...

My induction is scheduled to start tomorrow night (the plan is cervadil at night followed by pitocin in the AM), and I admit it - I'm SCARED TO DEATH.

Would love to hear your stories if you're willing to share. Big Smile TIA

Re: Would love to hear your induction stories...

• I was induced with DS at 41 weeks. I got to L&D around 8 a.m. and they started the cervadil. I felt pretty good for most the morning, I believe somewhere around lunch time they started the pitocin, again was having contractions, but they weren't too bad. If I remember it was sometime around 3 or 4 in the afternoon that the nurses encouraged DH and I to take a walk around the floor. This is when the action took place I had only made it a few feet when the first bad contraction hit me. They continued all the way around my walk and about every 3 to 4 min I had to grip the wall for dear life. Once I got back to the room I labored for another hour when I said I was ready for the epidural, I believe I was between 4 and 5 cm. It was wonderful! I continued to labor and dilate into the evening and once I reached 10 they were ready for me to push. This is when the delivery got tough for me. I ended up pushing for 3 hours and in the end I had to have an episotomy and I had a 4th degree tear, DS was born around 1 am. However, we made it and DS was laid on my chest and all of the efforts of the day just faded away. Recovery was a little tough the first week, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

So GL tomorrow and realize you get to hold the most precious gift in the world within the next 24 to 48 hrs. Keep us posted! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD1 was a successful induction at 34w2d (severe pre-e). I had Cervadil the night before (hurts a bit to put in/take out- otherwise fine), started Pitocin at 6am, had my water broken at 9am, and DD was born at 5:30pm. It wasn't quite the labor I envisioned. I was confined to bed because of my blood pressure and had to be on Magnesium to prevent seizures. I didn't get an epidural, which was about the only thing that went according to plan! But the end result was a successful vaginal delivery. Despite the circumstances, it was one of the most amazing days of my life! 

I hope all goes well for you! Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKnockedUp38:

My induction is scheduled to start tomorrow night (the plan is cervadil at night followed by pitocin in the AM), and I admit it - I'm SCARED TO DEATH.

I don't have a story, but I am also a FTM and scheduled for an induction and SCARED TO DEATH as well!!!  It seems everyone is leaping at the chance to tell me their horror stories (like the check out lady at my grocery story yesterday...) and it is so reassuring to hear POSITIVE stories. 

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone... I'm freaking out too and I'm sure there are many more women who are going through this for the first time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm also being induced tomorrow. I had my membranes swept this morning and have been having some cramping and back pain but nothing is really moving along yet. My blood pressure is high so the hospital will call tomorrow when there is an opening tomorrow. Yikes! Hope baby decides to come naturally tonight.
  • imageKnockedUp38:

I'm scheduled to go in tomorrow night as well!  Not so scared, more worried that DH's flight is on time (he will be back Weds. morning).  Good luck to you, hope everything goes well!! 

Photobucket
  • Thank you all ladies - YOU'RE WONDERFUL! And GL to my fellow "inductees" tomorrow!
  • Don't want to be a downer but with DD1 I was induced at 40 weeks. Had cervadil for almost 24 hours and then pitocin for 24 hours. I went in at a 1 and after 48 hours was at a 2. I was sent home. I was extremely emotional because I went in thinking I wouldn't leave without a baby, I wish someone had told me this was a possibility so I could prepare for that. I went into labor naturally a WEEK later! But still needed pitocin to help things along. If I used any pain meds/epidural I would stop dilating. I guess my body is just stubborn (which I am too) and maybe my dd1 was/is stubborn too! So mine was unsuccessful, but if I'd just dilated 1 more cm he would have broke my water!! GL and hope you have more success!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • carinicarini member
    I don't have prior experience but I just wanted to say GL! I am a ftm ans am scheduled for an induction Wednesday night so I'm in the same boat. My doc confirmed today that I am still only 1 cm and I had my membrane swept. Needless to say, I'm hoping and praying something happens and trying not to freak out but come tomorrow night, I'm sure I will be a mess!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was induced last Monday at 39w1d. I went in and started pitocin at 6am-- no need for cervadil as I was already 3.5cm. At 8:30 my doctor broke my water and the contractions were miserable so they paged anesthesia and I got my epidural about 9:00 or so, at which point I was 5cm. I labored for a little while and started feeling some pressure, so they checked me and I was 10cm and ready to push! Baby was born at 10:54am, just under 5 hours after starting the induction.

It may have been easier bc I'm a second time mom, but I was also induced with my first son, at 40w3d, and progressed similarly, having the baby 8 hours after beginning the induction process. Hope this helps, not all inductions are horrifying!! 

BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • I'll be induced Thursday at 41+4.  I'm not too thrilled with the idea.  Guess I always pictured it like everyone else...water breaks in the middle of night and we rush to the hospital.  But alas, 2 cm and high cervix at 41 weeks...no luck.  I am trying to stay calm but I too am scared by all of the horror stories.  Given up hope that she will come on her own :(  So nice to have so much support on this site.  And good luck to all of you through your inductions!!
  • imagebenz2010:
    Don't want to be a downer but with DD1 I was induced at 40 weeks. Had cervadil for almost 24 hours and then pitocin for 24 hours. I went in at a 1 and after 48 hours was at a 2. I was sent home. I was extremely emotional because I went in thinking I wouldn't leave without a baby, I wish someone had told me this was a possibility so I could prepare for that.

Interesting... I didn't even know this was a possibility! Thank you for sharing it, and I'm so glad that everything eventually worked out well for you!

FYI, though, my doc basically told me that there's no way this would happen - once they start the process, they won't stop it, even if it means a c-sec. That said, it's a damn good thing to check into, because I can't imagine all OB's feel the way mine does.... (This also may be tailored just to me - I've not had any *true* complications with this pregnancy, but I've hated 99% of it and she knows that, so it may be that she has accepted that the kid is coming out. Now. Period.)

• Turns out my induction - despite a dose of cervadil and 10 hours of Pit - didn't take, so ended up with a c-sec at 8pm. (I was contracting every 1-2 minutes but never dilated and the baby never moved down, so my doc explained to me that it was likely she'd never make it out the birth canal even if we were to wait another week, which we both knew I had no intention of doing.)

All that said, it was OK, ladies, it really was. The epi took care of the contraction pain and since the port was already in there was no problem sending through a bunch more to cover the c. If anything, the whole process kinda bored me. :-)

WIshing tons and tons of good things to all of you who have yet to start the process.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"