October 2012 Moms

Bridesmaid dress help

My brother is getting married in July.  I'll be 6 months for the wedding.  He knew when he asked me that we were TTC.  They picked out the dresses which are not bump friendly at all (although he thought at the time I could get away with it).  I completely understand though...I wouldn't expect him to pick out a style just for me.  I tried it on at the store with their fake bump and there is just no way it will work because of where the waist hits.  The dresses are ivory with a black sash.  I suggested getting a black dress (easy to find) and buying an ivory sash so I can at least coordinate a little.  Well, he is obsessed with me finding an ivory dress.  I'm fine doing whatever he wants, I just can't find one and am at a loss.  I also tried telling him that every company is different in terms of color shades, so what is ivory through the Vera Wang line at David's Bridal, might not be ivory at the next store. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look?  I googled maternity bridesmaids dresses and really didn't get much.  I've been searching Motherhoold Maternity, Pea in a Pod, etc. every once in a while just to see what they have, but haven't come up with anything so far.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bridesmaid dress help

• i'd find out the designer of the dress the other bridesmaids are going with and just get a dress from the same designer so the fabrics (and ivorys) will match. 

Or just buy the same dress as everyone else, but 3 or 4 sizes bigger than you are and just have it altered.  If you already  have the dress, then just get it altered or even remade if you have to.  I'm sure that a good seamstress can do wonders with it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrs.RockyM:

i'd find out the designer of the dress the other bridesmaids are going with and just get a dress from the same designer so the fabrics (and ivorys) will match. 

Or just buy the same dress as everyone else, but 3 or 4 sizes bigger than you are and just have it altered.  If you already  have the dress, then just get it altered or even remade if you have to.  I'm sure that a good seamstress can do wonders with it. 

You beat me to it!  This was going to be my advice.  I've had some amazing seamstresses.  If you find a good one, they can literally take a dress apart and put it back together for you if it's the right fabric.  Some fabrics are a little more difficult to work with, so I'd check the type of fabric and call around first to make sure alterations are possible.

My pregnancy blog: Great Texpectations BabyFruit Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • 2 of my sisters have been in the same situation. One ordered a dress a few sizes larger and had it altered (she was around 6 months). The other order two dresses and had the seemstress sew in an extra panel for her bump, since she was 8 1/2 months and her bump was a little too big to fit into a non-maternity dress. Both of them came out great!!

I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding 3 weeks after my baby's due, so I have no idea how I'm going to figure out what size to get for that either! 

• https://www.davidsbridal.com/Browse_White-by-Vera-Wang-Bridesmaids?cm_sp_o=3AE%20vv%20ewyz%20dkzlt%20H05wybwEgwCjC4zbE%201VCjC8e8Fzbpl

Here's a link to the dress for reference.  I just don't think it's doable with where it hits.  They even had the seamstress at the store come over to see her thoughts and she said they would basically pull it up so that the waste hit higher which basically makes it about 4-6" shorter and a really inappropriate length.  I would not feel comfortable with something that short.

• imageMrs.RockyM:

i'd find out the designer of the dress the other bridesmaids are going with and just get a dress from the same designer so the fabrics (and ivorys) will match. 

I agree with this, just have a larger on altered.  6 months will be doable.  I got my wedding dress then went on a huge diet/yoga plan and list 3 dress sizes and you would have never know.  Steamstresses can work miracles!

• I am in my cousins wedding at the end of August. I will be 7 months at that point. she was very open to me picking pretty much any dress that would work for me in a certain color. Maybe you can pick a different style of dress in the same fabric. This would mean that it would be the same color. You mentioned Davids Bridal. Is that where the other dresses are coming from? Thats where I am getting mine from. They do not have any specific maternity dresses, but they do have maternity friendly dresses. I found one that works great. I was worried about the spaghetti straps and they can add some fabric to the straps to make them more significant.

Good luck. Hopefully you can pick something that everyone will be happy with.

• Yes! I am in a wedding in a few weeks, and have an ivory bump friendly dress from Anthropology. See link for website of dresses below. Mine unfortunately is not on the site anymore, but maybe one of these will work?

https://www.bhldn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.browse/_/bridesmaid-party-dresses/categoryID/24245465-b4d3-49df-982d-901fa27265de/showAll/1/

• Your link didn't take me to an exact dress.  I would check with David's and see if you can order extra fabric.  That way, a good seamstress (I would personally find one outside of David's) can either add a panel for your belly, or move up the waist and add some fabric to the bottom (ruffle or just a piece to make up for the loss of raising the waist).
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

imageimage
    PAIF and SAIF welcome. IVF questions welcome, too.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We did an Alfred Angelo dress when my best friend was married that was empire waist - with a colored sash because two of her three bridesmaids were pregnant. It looked lovely and I know it came in ivory and black.  The price wasn't outrageous either....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"